Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Major Isewater

Ashley Williams, What à signing .

Recommended Posts

Immense today. Dont think he put a foot wrong. Boo'd by the Welsh every time he had the ball but it made no odds. Brilliant block late on too. And his joy at full time told me all I need to know. He wants to play for us. That is all !

  • Like 8
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KevP said:

Immense today. Dont think he put a foot wrong. Boo'd by the Welsh every time he had the ball but it made no odds. Brilliant block late on too. And his joy at full time told me all I need to know. He wants to play for us. That is all !

Back three today were immense . Williams great.

Kalas  is like a Ref the less you here his name the better he is. Such a controlled player always in the right spot, never hurried,  simple pass.

Love to watch his understated performances.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hugely skeptical after last season, thought his legs had gone.

I was totally wrong, he has been magnificent, talks to everyone around him and encourages all of them.

He is a leader of men with vast experience and that is something we needed.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I was hugely skeptical after last season, thought his legs had gone.

I was totally wrong, he has been magnificent, talks to everyone around him and encourages all of them.

He is a leader of men with vast experience and that is something we needed.

I was happy to have him in as an extra, experienced body and option, I'd be lying if I said I knew he would be as good as he has been. He has been a wonderful signing and was superb today.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was happy to have him in as an extra, experienced body and option, I'd be lying if I said I knew he would be as good as he has been. He has been a wonderful signing and was superb today.

I agree. Total leader. Constantly talking to Kalas and Baker, put his body on the line and now he seems settled, what a player he seems. Totally won me over...

Can he play up front?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

I was hugely skeptical after last season, thought his legs had gone.

I was totally wrong, he has been magnificent, talks to everyone around him and encourages all of them.

He is a leader of men with vast experience and that is something we needed.

I am definitely in this boat.

He has been superb for us

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, his experience has been invaluable and he’s one of our best performers at present. Plenty didn’t want him when he was rumoured to be signing - that previous thread on his signing has now shown how mis-informed many on here are and how many don’t really know what they’re talking about.... he will be a key player for us this season, a constant rock while personnel around him changes 

  • Like 2
  • Aubergine 1
  • Hedgehog 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

that previous thread on his signing has now shown how mis-informed many on here are and how many don’t really know what they’re talking about....

Clearly an impressive, yes an important addition. Agree on that.

Concerns around age combined with a highish to high line are perfectly valid however- a player of the calibre of Terry had just that under AVB for example. Terry was never the quickest granted...

I know I've got it...Geoffrey Cox is that you? Never knew you were a fan but then we do have some Devon Reds! :yes:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'm beginning to think maybe we keep him on another year. If he plays like this all season, then I imagine that will be the plan.

Agreed. A further year, and maybe an entry onto the coaching staff. He is the sort of player who I think would make an excellent coach. As others have said, constantly talking to those around him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has been excellent since he signed, and it's very apparent that kept himself fit while he had no club as he was part of the match day squad straight away.

His desire to prolong his international career is obvious, and city are reaping the benefits.

Whilst he is a little older, it reminds me of the impact Shaun Taylor had when he came here all those years ago.

If he stays fit then I would love to see him given a contract extension with a view to getting him involved behind the scenes, that level of experience at high level is worth loads to up and coming players.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest concern for a lot of people was a lack of pace in a fast paced Championship.

But when you can read the game as well as he does and put yourself in the right position every time, pace becomes a little bit more irrelevant.

Superb addition both on and off the field and great work again by the recruitment team.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has turned out to be an inspired signing but I would add Tommy Rowe to that list also. Thought both were terrific last night. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Has turned out to be an inspired signing but I would add Tommy Rowe to that list also. Thought both were terrific last night. 

What an unexpected bargain, what an unsung hero.

We knew he was decent technically and had some experience at this level but his output alone has been well in excess of I reckon most expectations- especially as he has tended to play in a position that isn't his favoured one- originally signed as a bit of experienced midfield cover, with possible backup at LB at a push- never was it suggested that he'd be covering at LWB though.

2 goals and 2 assists already.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 3 at the back were brilliant and just did the basics well. Cardiff played like Cardiff do lots of long stuff and those 3 can gobble that up all day. Williams has been a really good and needed addition and looked like he loved it. Still worries me a bit when you have a whippet type striker against him. However, I'd guess we wouldn't play those 3 in that scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taz said:

Agreed. A further year, and maybe an entry onto the coaching staff. He is the sort of player who I think would make an excellent coach. As others have said, constantly talking to those around him.

A proper leader. Vocal, encouraging and leads by example. 

We've needed one for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting- one set of stats I saw said we had less possession 2nd half and a 50% passing accuracy, yet at times  from what I saw which was most of the game and all of the 2nd half, we looked petty sharp in a footballing sense- especially when Palmer came on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker deserves some credit to. His best performance so far this season, his marking/positioning was spot on 

Edited by Sturny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one of the Williams Naysayers I will gladly eat a large slice of humble pie and admit I was totally wrong. watching from behind the goal yesterday Williams was immense and was my MOM although there were several candidates. Against Wigan I kept hearing a player shouting and yelling at colleagues above the noise of the crowd. It was Williams constantly talking to those around him. Yes he has been a very astute signing and will make a big difference between now and the end of the season Well done Lee and team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, supercidered said:

All 3 at the back were brilliant and just did the basics well. Cardiff played like Cardiff do lots of long stuff and those 3 can gobble that up all day. Williams has been a really good and needed addition and looked like he loved it. Still worries me a bit when you have a whippet type striker against him. However, I'd guess we wouldn't play those 3 in that scenario. 

Funny how we can see the same game and think so differently. I was actually impressed with Cardiff and thought WE were the ones hitting it long. Cardiff played some neat passing at times and I was surprised, impressed and worried!

its a funny old game...........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'm beginning to think maybe we keep him on another year. If he plays like this all season, then I imagine that will be the plan.

Agree totally.  So influential keep him on 18 month deal.  It will have been noted elsewhere how well he’s doing. No matter where we end up his experience is invaluable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Funny how we can see the same game and think so differently. I was actually impressed with Cardiff and thought WE were the ones hitting it long. Cardiff played some neat passing at times and I was surprised, impressed and worried!

its a funny old game...........

Yep.  They could have had two as well with great strikes, 3” lower and bit different. If’s and buts, and those small margins they spout on about, but true. 
LJ alluded himself lacked quality but more than made up for it elsewhere being a good championship tussle.  Cardiff will I suspect be around top six, as will we.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On signing, I saw both Williams and Rowe as for "Dire Emergency use only." to make up the numbers if our injuries got worse.

I really love being wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What an unexpected bargain, what an unsung hero.

We knew he was decent technically and had some experience at this level but his output alone has been well in excess of I reckon most expectations- especially as he has tended to play in a position that isn't his favoured one- originally signed as a bit of experienced midfield cover, with possible backup at LB at a push- never was it suggested that he'd be covering at LWB though.

2 goals and 2 assists already.

3 assists Imho, brought down for Afobe’s pen v Hull.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely loving the Ashley Williams dressing room video on the main site, pumped up!!................And John Lansdowns  " Up the City........N' Down the Cider" is a classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...