IGNORED

Match day squad headache...

spudski

....with Korey and Nagy back from injury, and Famara also available again...and  DaSilva, Hunt and Wright all to come back and even Szmodics being dropped, it certainly gives LJ a major headache as to who he leaves out of the match day squad. Looking at Sunday's squad, you wonder how it will all work.

With LJ preferring 352 and 3412 it will certainly be interesting to see who he trys or not to shoehorn players in.

How do you fit Nagy, Massengo, Smith and Rowe into the matchday Squad?

The one player I feel who might miss out even more is Eliasson.

• 1Daniel Bentley
  • 6Nathan Baker
  • 22Tomas Kalas
  • 29Ashley Williams
  • 32Pedro Pereira
  • 11Callum O'Dowda
  • 25Tommy Rowe
  • 4Ádám Nagy
  • 8Josh Brownhill
  • 15Marley Watkins
  • 14Andreas Weimann

Substitutes

• 31Rodri
  • 23Taylor Moore
  • 18Antoine Semenyo
  • 33Niki Mäenpää
  • 45Kasey Palmer
  • 42Han-Noah Massengo
  • 19Niclas Eliasson

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm sure it's a darn sight better than a list of injuries headache!

In theory yes...however if everyone is fit, you know how easy it is to fiddle too much. It's a bit of a catch 22.

Do you have a game plan and have players on the bench that are like for like, or players that offer something different?

Certainly fun choosing a team from a fully fit squad.

With everyone at their best I'd have...

______________Bentley_____________

______Kalas___Williams___Baker____

Pedro__________Nagy_______DaSilva

_____Brownhill________Odowda_____

___________________Palmer________

__________Weimann_______________

1 Niki 2 Moore 3 Massengo 4 Rodri 5 Rowe 6 Smith 7 Famara

Taking that Massengo would qualify as the U21 'home grown'.

If not...the Semenyo has to be in the subs.

That leaves Hunt, Wright, Szmodics, Watkins and Eliasson not even in the Squad ?

Fun picking indeed...

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

In theory yes...however if everyone is fit, you know how easy it is to fiddle too much. It's a bit of a catch 22.

Do you have a game plan and have players on the bench that are like for like, or players that offer something different?

Certainly fun choosing a team from a fully fit squad.

With everyone at their best I'd have...

______________Bentley_____________

______Kalas___Williams___Baker____

Pedro__________Nagy_______DaSilva

_____Brownhill________Odowda_____

___________________Palmer________

__________Weimann_______________

1 Niki 2 Moore 3 Massengo 4 Rodri 5 Rowe 6 Smith 7 Famara

Taking that Massengo would qualify as the U21 'home grown'.

If not...the Semenyo has to be in the subs.

That leaves Hunt, Wright, Szmodics, Watkins and Eliasson not even in the Squad ?

Fun picking indeed...

With all those players available  - I think I leave selecting the matchday squad to LJ..........:dunno:

Fact is that Bentley part I wouldn’t know which players should be in the matchday squad.

Bentley 

hunt.             Kalas.         Williams.    Dasilva 

Nagy.        Smith

brownhill.             Palmer.              O’dowda

Weimann 

Nikki 

rowe

fam

eliasson

baker

perairra 

semenyo 

going on everyone being fit apart from afobe who probably won’t be back. 
very difficult to pick , there’s a case for Watkins in the squad as he plays a couple of positions. Semenyo would go on loan ideally but with home grown rule he has to be on the bench . Good luck LJ , that’s with Taylor Moore not even on the bench ?

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Bentley 

hunt.             Kalas.         Williams.    Dasilva 

Nagy.        Smith

brownhill.             Palmer.              O’dowda

Weimann 

Nikki 

rowe

fam

eliasson

baker

perairra 

semenyo 

going on everyone being fit apart from afobe who probably won’t be back. 
very difficult to pick , there’s a case for Watkins in the squad as he plays a couple of positions. Semenyo would go on loan ideally but with home grown rule he has to be on the bench . Good luck LJ , that’s with Taylor Moore not even on the bench ?

And you've dropped Massengo completely...just goes to show how hard it could be 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With all those players available  - I think I leave selecting the matchday squad to LJ..........:dunno:

Fact is that Bentley part I wouldn’t know which players should be in the matchday squad.

Of course we do...do you never pick a team in your head then RR.

Thought most fans do...I know it's the main topic of conversation in the pub before KO...then an hour before KO we all look at Twitter and see we've all chosen wrong :laugh:

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

....with Korey and Nagy back from injury, and Famara also available again...and  DaSilva, Hunt and Wright all to come back and even Szmodics being dropped, it certainly gives LJ a major headache as to who he leaves out of the match day squad. Looking at Sunday's squad, you wonder how it will all work.

With LJ preferring 352 and 3412 it will certainly be interesting to see who he trys or not to shoehorn players in.

How do you fit Nagy, Massengo, Smith and Rowe into the matchday Squad?

The one player I feel who might miss out even more is Eliasson.

• 1Daniel Bentley
  • 6Nathan Baker
  • 22Tomas Kalas
  • 29Ashley Williams
  • 32Pedro Pereira
  • 11Callum O'Dowda
  • 25Tommy Rowe
  • 4Ádám Nagy
  • 8Josh Brownhill
  • 15Marley Watkins
  • 14Andreas Weimann

Substitutes

• 31Rodri
  • 23Taylor Moore
  • 18Antoine Semenyo
  • 33Niki Mäenpää
  • 45Kasey Palmer
  • 42Han-Noah Massengo
  • 19Niclas Eliasson

Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Wright been back for a while?

My squad would be

Bentley

Hunt 

Kalas

Williams

Dasilva

Smith

Nagy

Brownhill

Palmer

Weimann

Diedhiou

Subs

Maenpaa

Moore 

Rowe

Massengo

O’Dowda

Eliasson

Semenyo

However we have a lot of options like going with a back 5 or a 442 which could always change depending on opponent and there will be more injuries.

5 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Wright been back for a while?

My squad would be

Bentley

Hunt 

Kalas

Williams

Dasilva

Smith

Nagy

Brownhill

Palmer

Weimann

Diedhiou

Subs

Maenpaa

Moore 

Rowe

Massengo

O’Dowda

Eliasson

Semenyo

However we have a lot of options like going with a back 5 or a 442 which could always change depending on opponent and there will be more injuries.

Think got injured again in training.

The good thing for me is we now have depth with Nagy and Kalas back, reinforced by Hunt and Smith after the break.

The challenge is then for those in possession of the shirt to keep it and those on the fringes to push hard for a place / take their opportunity through injury / suspension / drop in form.

Yesterday I felt Lee stopped pissing around, and picked what he considered as strong an eleven as he could for the opposition.  I’m sure he does that every game, but it seemed a simple, logical eleven for Cardiff away.

He wanted that slightly flatter three in midfield (532) so O’Dowda got the nod, rather than the slightly more risky option in Palmer (5212).  He picked Baker for his physicality over Moore...but kept the back 3.  I guess he thought Nagy the right CM over Massengo for the opposition too.  It freed Brownhill too.  He kept Cardiff’s midfield honest.

I liked that.

I hope it’s the start of a consistent formation / system....although Dasilva’s return at some point may allow another change.  I do think the 3 CBs, especially with Kalas back is gonna make us hard to break going forward.

Within that system there is enough flexibility to tweak it without going mad.

As above, could go:

5212 with Palmer or O’Dowda

5221 with say Palmer and O’Dowda playing off of Weimann

5♦️1 / 5311 with Palmer at the tip, Nagy at the base, Brownhill and O’Dowda on the sides.

etc.

It gives us rotation / rest options too, whilst breeding familiarity.

Things to start being positive about.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

Of course we do...do you never pick a team in your head then RR.

Thought most fans do...I know it's the main topic of conversation in the pub before KO...then an hour before KO we all look at Twitter and see we've all chosen wrong :laugh:

I always get it wrong Spudski simply because I’m not privy to all the latest player related data as LJ and his assistants are.

Going back a number of seasons when squads were significantly smaller it was usually simple enough to select the starting 11. The only time I or we got wrong was when a regular starter had picked up an injury in training. That’s not the case these days.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The good thing for me is we now have depth with Nagy and Kalas back, reinforced by Hunt and Smith after the break.

The challenge is then for those in possession of the shirt to keep it and those on the fringes to push hard for a place / take their opportunity through injury / suspension / drop in form.

Yesterday I felt Lee stopped pissing around, and picked what he considered as strong an eleven as he could for the opposition.  I’m sure he does that every game, but it seemed a simple, logical eleven for Cardiff away.

He wanted that slightly flatter three in midfield (532) so O’Dowda got the nod, rather than the slightly more risky option in Palmer (5212).  He picked Baker for his physicality over Moore...but kept the back 3.  I guess he thought Nagy the right CM over Massengo for the opposition too.  It freed Brownhill too.  He kept Cardiff’s midfield honest.

I liked that.

I hope it’s the start of a consistent formation / system....although Dasilva’s return at some point may allow another change.  I do think the 3 CBs, especially with Kalas back is gonna make us hard to break going forward.

Within that system there is enough flexibility to tweak it without going mad.

As above, could go:

5212 with Palmer or O’Dowda

5221 with say Palmer and O’Dowda playing off of Weimann

5♦️1 / 5311 with Palmer at the tip, Nagy at the base, Brownhill and O’Dowda on the sides.

etc.

It gives us rotation / rest options too, whilst breeding familiarity.

Things to start being positive about.

I think what LJ said about having a true number 6 in Nagy covering the defence properly is very poinient.

Brownhill is far better when playing more forward.

I was disingenuous claiming Brownhill had gone within himself since being given Captaincy. Playing deeper and having to Sheppard Massengo about didn't give him his freedom.

Will there ever be a need to play Nagy and Massengo in the starting 11 together?

So many permutations as you've said Dave.

In Nagy, Smith, Massengo and Rowe we have some solid DMs.

Freeing up Brownhill and Odowda and Palmer to be at their most influential offensively.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I always get it wrong Spudski simply because I’m not privy to all the latest player related data as LJ and his assistants are.

Going back a number of seasons when squads were significantly smaller it was usually simple enough to select the starting 11. The only time I or we got wrong was when a regular starter had picked up an injury in training. That’s not the case these days.

As was the case Sunday...LJ hinting Smith was close and playing down Nagy.

Don't think anyone would have guessed Nagy to play.

And the week before, the same with Kalas.

Bentley

Pereira. Kalas. Moore. Dasilva

B’hill Nagy. Massengo

Weimann Fam. Elliason 

subs

Maenpaa, Williams, Rowe, Smith, COD, Palmer, Semenyo

However would adopt a horses for courses approach and switch between this and 5-3-2 depending on opposition 

Bentley

Kalas. Williams. Moore 

Pereira.                            Dasilva

B’hill Nagy. Massengo

Weimann Fam 

Subs

Maenpaa, Baker, Smith, Elliason, COD, Palmer, Semenyo 

I'm really excited to see a rotation between Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill and Smith. We'll have a lot of grit and it should allow us Palmer to play with freedom. I have a  probably very incorrect theory that LJ wanted to build the side around Palmer and the signings of Massengo and Nagy was to accommodate this. I don't think it's been a secret that we've been looking to sign an attacker that plays on the shoulder of the last defender and Palmer's vision fits in perfect with this. Brownhill can also play in the free role when necessary.

I don't think Johnson built this squad to play the way we have this season and I believe our injury woes has led to us playing with a more gritty style of play. It is gutting that the Afobe is injured as I think it would be the most complete City side during the GJ to LJ eras. 

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Horses for courses.

32 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

My matchday 18 would be,

Bentley, Niki.

Pereira, Hunt, Rowe, Williams, Kalas, Moore, Baker.

Brownhill(C), Nagy, Massengo, COD, Eliasson, Palmer.

Weimann, Diedhiou, Rodri.

This is of course with the injuries to Dasilva and Afobe, otherwise those two would be straight in that 18.

I think you may open us up to a points deduction without Semenyo in there.....

12 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Bit surprised that many people are starting Hunt ahead of Pereira? I like Hunt, however Pereira just seems to have the extra bit of quality and is a lot younger so more room to improve too 

There's not much between them and I suspect they'll both play their fair share of games once Hunt is fit. Nice problem to have though!

I'm on desktop so forgive the butchered shape on smartphones. From a fully fit squad, barring Afobe due to severity.

Bentley

Kalas                        Williams                 Bakes

Pereira                         Nagy                         Brownhill                       JD

KP45

Weimann                       Diedhiou

Niki, Moore, Hunt, COD, Massengo, Eliasson, Semenyo

This is incredibly difficult. Harder than I expected. No room for Watkins, Rowe, or Korey bloody Smith...

Does bring home how good our squad is.  

13 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Bit surprised that many people are starting Hunt ahead of Pereira? I like Hunt, however Pereira just seems to have the extra bit of quality and is a lot younger so more room to improve too 

Yeah. He doesn’t give me heart palpitations when he has the ball in our half like Jack Hunt does 

Goalkeepers - Maenpaa. Bentley

Defenders - Pereira, Kalas, Williams, Baker, Moore, Dasilva

Midfielders - Brownhill, Massengo, Nagy, Smith, O’Dowda, 

Attackers - Diedhiou, Rodri, Palmer, Eliasson, Weimann

I’d swap an attacker on the bench for someone like Hunt or Rowe away from home . 

Oh and Afobe will replace Rodri when fit 

My choice is merely based on a fully fit squad . Easier to pick the 18 with Afobe and Dasilva still out 

Archived