IGNORED

Poppies at the MEM

Redandproud

Why is it offensive?

Why should you be offended, did you fight in a war at all? The only people that have a right to be offended by anything related to it are the people directly affected... i.e. not you.

You can be surprised about it and question the integrity of it but you've no right to be offended.

50 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Apparently purple poppies are for animals (horses / dogs) which suffered in the war. 

Probably something instigated at the Mem by Dopey....?

Horses punched in their line of duty?

Arsey comments aside, I understand that previously those associated with the Mem have usually gone the extra mile as far as remembrance goes.

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Why is it offensive?

Why should you be offended, did you fight in a war at all? The only people that have a right to be offended by anything related to it are the people directly affected... i.e. not you.

You can be surprised about it and question the integrity of it but you've no right to be offended.

My father thought for this country,don't tell me I've no right to be offended, young boy,

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Not worth getting in a fuss over. It's a pointless object that we assign arbitrary meaning to. The important thing is that we are grateful for sacrifices made and spend some time today thinking about that.

Just comes across as ridiculously immature. It’s the sort of thing a child would do, not grown adults 

1 hour ago, Redandproud said:

Did online else see what colour poppies the gas laid at the MEM today on TV , BLUE, why should they be any different,I find that very offending ,towards our troops,football colours shouldn't come into it,

Whilst I don't find it offensive, I agree with your sentiment.

The red poppy is the most famous symbol used to commemorate those who sacrificed their lives in World War One and conflicts that followed. Wearing a poppy was inspired by the fields of poppies that grew where many of the battles were fought. The red poppy is connected to the Royal British Legion, a charity created by veterans of World War One.

The red poppy represents remembrance and hope for the future.

There are other coloured poppies such as purple representing animals who served and died (as if they knew), and the black poppy representing black people who fought and died (as if there needed to be a distinction). And then there is the white poppy representing those who think the war(s) were legalised murder (or those who would rather surrender to oppressors in other words).

Can't find any reference to blue poppies and just seems a small time, insignificant, pathetic, childish, little "look at us" gesture to me, unfortunately belittling the whole concept.

15 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

THANK YOU, someone with intelligence at last,

I'm with you mate. Keep your head down and only discuss football issues on internet forums. Save anything else warranting historical knowledge for real conversations, face to face?

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Whilst I don't find it offensive, I agree with your sentiment.

The red poppy is the most famous symbol used to commemorate those who sacrificed their lives in World War One and conflicts that followed. Wearing a poppy was inspired by the fields of poppies that grew where many of the battles were fought. The red poppy is connected to the Royal British Legion, a charity created by veterans of World War One.

The red poppy represents remembrance and hope for the future.

There are other coloured poppies such as purple representing animals who served and died (as if they knew), and the black poppy representing black people who fought and died (as if there needed to be a distinction). And then there is the white poppy representing those who think the war(s) were legalised murder (or those who would rather surrender to oppressors in other words).

Can't find any reference to blue poppies and just seems a small time, insignificant, pathetic, childish, little "look at us" gesture to me, unfortunately belittling the whole concept.

I’ve been working in the army camp in Warminster this past month and noticed blue poppies but they were French.

9 hours ago, City Cat said:

I'm with you mate. Keep your head down and only discuss football issues on internet forums. Save anything else warranting historical knowledge for real conversations, face to face?

The gas has made it a football issue, by having "blue" poppies not RED, as there statement "I'd rather be dead than red", 

9 hours ago, Redandproud said:

My father thought for this country,don't tell me I've no right to be offended, young boy,

He did a wonderful service but I'm not sure he was sat in the trenches thinking 'Those bastards better use red poppies to remember our sacrifice'

My personal view is the changing of the colour of the poppy is a disgrace, and I don't agree with that at all.  I  also can't understand the people on here who have suggested it isn't a big deal.  The red poppy is a massively important symbol and the colour is a large part of that symbol. Changing the colour is a crass and a shitty thing to do, which is probably keeping true to the identity of Rovers.

They're showing their respects, just re-branding it slightly to make it more relevant to themselves. There are ****tons of sticks to beat them, this isn't one of them.

A classic example of people choosing to be offended here imo. They're remembering the fallen, and they're paying respect to them, that's what matters.

Archived