IGNORED

Poppies at the MEM

Redandproud

53 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

They're showing their respects, just re-branding it slightly to make it more relevant to themselves. There are ****tons of sticks to beat them, this isn't one of them.

A classic example of people choosing to be offended here imo. They're remembering the fallen, and they're paying respect to them, that's what matters.

Indeed, this whole fawning over the poppy is very strange, it's a relatively new thing that has come out of nowhere. I remember as a kid some people used to wear poppies some didn't and nobody cared, now it seems as if people are derided for not wearing them. 

I couldn't care less of rovers wanted to change the colour of the poppy as long as they take part in the remembrance, as that is all the should ******* matter, not some people's thin skins on behalf of others. 

If rovers wanted to encourage their fans to disrespect the silence then fair enough, but jesus christ who cares what colour the poppy is as long as they honour the fallen? 

As long as the money is going to the poppy appeal it really doesn't matter what colour they are, as stated it is a manufactured symbol used for fundraising purposes so the colour isn't particularly relevant.

Also, I would say Rovers have more of a right to rebrand the symbol than others given that it was at the Memorial Stadium.

If they were cashing in in someway by using their own poppies then I would have a serious issue with it. 

24 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Indeed, this whole fawning over the poppy is very strange, it's a relatively new thing that has come out of nowhere. I remember as a kid some people used to wear poppies some didn't and nobody cared, now it seems as if people are derided for not wearing them. 

I couldn't care less of rovers wanted to change the colour of the poppy as long as they take part in the remembrance, as that is all the should ******* matter, not some people's thin skins on behalf of others. 

If rovers wanted to encourage their fans to disrespect the silence then fair enough, but jesus christ who cares what colour the poppy is as long as they honour the fallen? 

It does matter, poppies are traditional RED, not black not blue ,(which it has been since the war,), I consider black or blue poppies as an insult to our troops who thought for this country

So we get upset about the colour of a symbol, surely It’s more important that the money raised is correctly used (Lots of debate about that recently) and that the Government actually looks after all veterans properly. Maybe also learn the lessons of both major conflicts, and recent interventions,  so that we don’t keep repeating the same mistakes.

45 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Yep. People more bothered about being seen to be doing the right thing than what the poppy is supposed to represent.

I think remembering the armistice and the sacrifice that millions made in the two world wars is a superb thing, and I completely agree with having remembrance ceremonies at football and major events, as well as the major wreath laying ceremony at the cenotaph but I'm increasingly starting to feel like the poppy symbol causes so much argument and one-upmanship that it might be better to ditch it entirely.

I realise that is not going to be a popular view but I also think that you can easily wear a poppy as a show of remembrance yet not spend a second thinking about the sacrifice people made in the two wars and you can easily not wear a poppy yet think deeply about that sacrifice. The poppy increasingly feels like a stick people use to beat other people with or try to out-do each other on over their displays of remembrance and I think that detracts massively from its original purpose as a thoughtful, considered statement of remembrance.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think remembering the armistice and the sacrifice that millions made in the two world wars is a superb thing, and I completely agree with having remembrance ceremonies at football and major events, as well as the major wreath laying ceremony at the cenotaph but I'm increasingly starting to feel like the poppy symbol causes so much argument and one-upmanship that it might be better to ditch it entirely.

I realise that is not going to be a popular view but I also think that you can easily wear a poppy as a show of remembrance yet not spend a second thinking about the sacrifice people made in the two wars and you can easily not wear a poppy yet think deeply about that sacrifice. The poppy increasingly feels like a stick people use to beat other people with or try to out-do each other on over their displays of remembrance and I think that detracts massively from its original purpose as a thoughtful, considered statement of remembrance.

Yep, there is definitely something not quite right nowadays although i'll always wear one..

It is a money spinner for the RBL though and I believe the proceeds are used to help veterans who don't appear to be a priority for successive governments.

1 hour ago, Quedgeley Exile said:

The French use a blue cornflower not a poppy

And if it was the same over here I would have no problem wearing it. I certainly wouldn't consider looking for a red cornflower. 

Yes I can understand some clubs wearing blue and white Santa hats for example, but no the poppy shouldn't be messed with out of respect for what it represents.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Big C said:

If the Royal British Legion has no objections to different colour poppies I'm not sure why others should

'The Royal British Legion has no objection to any other colour of Poppy in principle, and some volunteers wear these side by side. '

Key word here though is in "Principle"

Just realised those no marks up the road didn't have anything on their shirt either

0_JMP_Bristol_Rovers_v_Bromley_RH_068JPG

41 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

LB ITS not just two wars it involves and includes the citizens of all the countries under the commonwealth. This also includes the Korea war, Vietnam war and others. There are hundreds of thousands that have given their lives to the commonwealth. In Australia last Monday Ozzie time at 11.00am there as a minute silence across the country. It remembers Ozzie diggers, pommie service men and woman, even the massive numbers of American army based in the Northern Territory  of Australia at this present time respected a minute silence. It is not the colour of the poppy it is the symbol that rings respect. Who gives a s%$t what the gas or others have what they think a colour of a poppy should be. It is the respect what counts. I might be a bit biased but red is the appropriate colour for me and its the colour me and my family wear on this great day both in the UK and in OZ.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Big C said:

I noticed that Kalas wasn't wearing one and I was wondering if it was an East European thing but then noticed that Nagy was (different countries I know)

Ahh I know what you are referring to now, they both change their shirts at half time in a game, and we only had poppies put on one of each players shirts ( @Big C) had them on in the first half, but not the second

image.png

image.png

Really unhelpful and clumsy that they went for blue poppies. They got a lot of grief for allowing the perception to build that they had forgotten that their stadium is a MEMORIAL when they wanted to tear it down. Pointlessly changing the Poppy colour (the Red signifies spilt blood, nothing to do with something as trivial as football) does not help their arguments that are sensitive to the raison detre of their ground existing. 

in short, very clumsy, amateurish PR and highly insensitive. An unnecessary own goal that panders to about 20 nutjobs only (I assume the overwhelming majority of Rovers’ fans fully understand why the poppy is Red). 

Theres been lots of poppy outrage the last few years.

But that goes totally against the idea of the poppy itself.

The poppy is to remember those that died for our freedom

FREEDOM to do what we like, including wearing a poppy, not wearing a poppy or even wearing a blue/rainbow poppy...

To tell someone they must wear a poppy or a certain colour isnt respecting what they died for.

17 hours ago, Redandproud said:

My father thought for this country,don't tell me I've no right to be offended, young boy,

Was he in a think-tank?

Huge respect to all the servicemen and women who fought and lost their lives.

It is also important to remember the millions of civilians who weren't able to fight and lost their lives needlessly (particularly, babies, infants, young children, the infirm and the elderly)

4 hours ago, Big C said:

I noticed that Kalas wasn't wearing one and I was wondering if it was an East European thing but then noticed that Nagy was (different countries I know)

Czechoslovakia was sacrificed by the Allies to buy time, and suffered horribly, as did much of Eastern Europe. Hungary was on the Germans side until March 44. 

All very picky and stupid from OP.

Did they put their poppies down and hold a minutes silence to allow all in attendance to have a quiet moment to reflect? ... Yes they did

Did they as a football club go out of their way to get blue poppies to show Bristol Rovers as a club are in support of this cause? ... Yes they did 

I hate this culture we now live in where people actively look for anything they can get offended by. I get they're Bristol Citys rivals but this is petty and they have done nothing wrong in this instance.

I really feel for the people who genuinely care and get worked up about something like this! If you're genuinely offended by this and think they chose to use blue poppies because they refuse anything red from being had in their stadium, as opposed to being their way of showing their respect as a club, then that is very concerning and I'd suggest getting out more and enjoying your valuable and precious short time on this earth rather than looking for things to get offended by and then letting it spoil your day 

Archived