IGNORED

Poppies at the MEM

Redandproud

6 hours ago, Redandproud said:

It does matter, poppies are traditional RED, not black not blue ,(which it has been since the war,), I consider black or blue poppies as an insult to our troops who thought for this country

I prefer the white poppies, to be honest. 

23 minutes ago, City18 said:

All very picky and stupid from OP.

Did they put their poppies down and hold a minutes silence to allow all in attendance to have a quiet moment to reflect? ... Yes they did

Did they as a football club go out of their way to get blue poppies to show Bristol Rovers as a club are in support of this cause? ... Yes they did 

I hate this culture we now live in where people actively look for anything they can get offended by. I get they're Bristol Citys rivals but this is petty and they have done nothing wrong in this instance.

I really feel for the people who genuinely care and get worked up about something like this! If you're genuinely offended by this and think they chose to use blue poppies because they refuse anything red from being had in their stadium, as opposed to being their way of showing their respect as a club, then that is very concerning and I'd suggest getting out more and enjoying your valuable and precious short time on this earth rather than looking for things to get offended by and then letting it spoil your day 

Your talking tosh, yes Bristol Rovers are blue,what about Everton ,they had red poppies on there shirts,as did Aston villa,& Birmingham , Bristol Rovers let football colours get involved, as they say "I'd rather be dead than red",I still say it's a insult towards our troops that died for us,

26 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Your talking tosh, yes Bristol Rovers are blue,what about Everton ,they had red poppies on there shirts,as did Aston villa,& Birmingham , Bristol Rovers let football colours get involved, as they say "I'd rather be dead than red",I still say it's a insult towards our troops that died for us,

Rovers didn't have any poppy on their shirt though because they are skint. They each wore an armband with a red poppy.

A bit crass to change the accepted colour but they are hardly Celtic are they.

20 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

And then there is the white poppy representing those who think the war(s) were legalised murder (or those who would rather surrender to oppressors in other words).

The white poppy is to represent all those that lost life - civilians and combatants from both sides - rather than those that died fighting for British forces.  

Just because you respect every life lost does not mean you would surrender in the event of another war.  If more old men in power had a greater respect for life maybe they wouldn't been so quick to send young men off to their deaths in the future.

As for blue poppies at the Mem because of an aversion to anything red, that's just purile.  If I was a gashead I'd be deeply embarrassed that my club has taken such an iconic emblem of remembrance and made it all about my club's petty alliegence.

48 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

The real insult to the troops is people using poppies/remembrance to score political points. Or in this case to attack another club.

Remembrance is about remembrance, everyone can do it (or not do it) in their own way. 

This competitive respect/remembrance is disgusting.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

The real insult to the troops is people using poppies/remembrance to score political points. Or in this case to attack another club.

Remembrance is about remembrance, everyone can do it (or not do it) in their own way. 

This competitive respect/remembrance is disgusting.

Spot on, but it's the same with competitive offence, its just sad to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Have a word with yourself. Red poppies on their arm bands, a poppy reef before the game and the expected moments silence. Nothing to see here.

It's got nothing to do with bristol city that they've gone for blue poppies. It's their club colours and they've chosen to use a blue poppy display.

You'd better wrap yourself in cotton wool and switch off the box if you're getting offended by that. 

Does my head in, always one to pick on faults of others and try and shine negative light on people. I assume there were military members at the parade who knew what the plans were and would have coordinated it all, and likely provided the poppies too. If they have no issue and are still able to have their parade and show respect to others with no qualms seems odd that you can't? 

People taking offence to the part that's not important. Poppies don't have to be red for you to show respect - youd be much happier if you stopped looking for things to get offended by 

• The topic was locked

Archived