IGNORED

Raheem Sterling

pillred

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

Has been dropped for the game on Thursday due to an occurrence in a private team area following the Liverpool game, wonder what that must have been? pretty serious by the sound of it.

Had a row with Joe Gomez towards the end of the Liverpool-City game, then tried to restart the argument when they met up with England.

Gareth Southgate said "We have taken the decision to not consider Raheem for the match against Montenegro on Thursday. My feeling is that the right thing for the team is the action we have taken. Now that the decision has been made with the agreement of the entire squad, it's important that we support the players and focus on Thursday night."

It would appear that Stirling has stepped out of line.

If Sterling has done something wrong then he fully deserves to effectively be suspended.

However it does show a naivety on Southgates part to call the players involved in that game into training the morning after. I'm not trying to shift any blame but it's been well documented in the past that England players didn't get on too well due to club rivalries. 

Southgate should have given them all the morning/day off to avoid situations like this. 

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

If Sterling has done something wrong then he fully deserves to effectively be suspended.

However it does show a naivety on Southgates part to call the players involved in that game into training the morning after. I'm not trying to shift any blame but it's been well documented in the past that England players didn't get on too well due to club rivalries. 

Southgate should have given them all the morning/day off to avoid situations like this. 

Southgate 1000000% in the right to do that,

england have to work as a team, and bad blood has to be stopped there and then,

sterling couldn’t let it go and started it off again therefore he’s dropped and rightly so,

7 hours ago, hodge said:

Gomez just stepping away rather than getting goaded 

The media after hearing something negative about Sterling

Image result for frantic typing gif"

Beat me to it. The Sun et all will be all over this like a rash. 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

sterling couldn’t let it go and started it off again therefore he’s dropped and rightly so,

Spot on. If players can’t put club rivalry aside when they meet up for England, whether it’s an hour, a day, or a month after the game, then they shouldn’t be in the squad. 

Why should Southgate pussy foot around it because of some petulant spat that happened in the Premier League. If playing for your country isn’t enough motivation to put a pin in it until you’re back to club duty then don’t be involved, simple. 

That situation should have been managed and was likely entirely preventable. 

It was clear that there was an issue between the two players. First thing to do would have been to talk to them individually, then jointly and defuse things.

No doubt the mega-wealthy FA have a number of ‘experts’ in player psychology in the back-up team. Where were they? Where was the Plan?  

4 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Would it not have been beneficial to send Gomez back to his club and not the most in form player?

What precedent does that set? 

Let the best player run the dressing room and everyone else bow down to them? Southgate included? 

Sound like it's been well managed by Southgate and co, and likely exaggerated by the media. 

4 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Would it not have been beneficial to send Gomez back to his club and not the most in form player?

Without knowing who did/said wha in this case, the danger is that you would be like Derby - punishing  a player based on his value to the club/team, not on what they have , or have not, done.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Nah I dont agree. 

It was a huge game of significant importance. It is plainly obvious that emotions are still going to be raw what 16 hours later? 

We don't know what happened so it's hard to judge but in my mind it could have been easily avoided had he given those involved in that game a day off. 

Now this next game is going to be overshadowed by this incident.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Spot on. If players can’t put club rivalry aside when they meet up for England, whether it’s an hour, a day, or a month after the game, then they shouldn’t be in the squad. 

Why should Southgate pussy foot around it because of some petulant spat that happened in the Premier League. If playing for your country isn’t enough motivation to put a pin in it until you’re back to club duty then don’t be involved, simple. 

They are humans, not robots. If I was a Man City fan I'd be absolutely delighted that one of our players was still wound up about losing the next day. 

Not being funny mate but playing for England doesn't have the significance it once did and what you like to think it does. Club football comes first these days.

Southgate mishandled this whole situation. 

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

They are humans, not robots. If I was a Man City fan I'd be absolutely delighted that one of our players was still wound up about losing the next day. 

Not being funny mate but playing for England doesn't have the significance it once did and what you like to think it does. Club football comes first these days.

Southgate mishandled this whole situation. 

Nonsense. I’d say he handled it well. One of his players acted unprofessionally and he’s been dropped. 

If Sterling can’t keep his emotions in check the next day because his team lost a game  then he should be nowhere near the camp anyway. One person to blame here and it’s not Southgate. 

It’s the nature of the business that you’re going to clash with international colleagues on the club stage. But if you can’t separate the two you’ve got learning to do. 

38 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Without knowing who did/said wha in this case, the danger is that you would be like Derby - punishing  a player based on his value to the club/team, not on what they have , or have not, done.

Exactly. Given that it’s only Sterling dropped, it speaks volumes about who was the aggressor in the incident. Not a chance Southgate treats them differently if they were equally culpable. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nonsense. I’d say he handled it well. One of his players acted unprofessionally and he’s been dropped. 

If Sterling can’t keep his emotions in check the next day because his team lost a game  then he should be nowhere near the camp anyway. One person to blame here and it’s not Southgate. 

It’s the nature of the business that you’re going to clash with international colleagues on the club stage. But if you can’t separate the two you’ve got learning to do. 

Liverpool fan by any chance?

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

That situation should have been managed and was likely entirely preventable. 

It was clear that there was an issue between the two players. First thing to do would have been to talk to them individually, then jointly and defuse things.

No doubt the mega-wealthy FA have a number of ‘experts’ in player psychology in the back-up team. Where were they? Where was the Plan?  

Was it? All the reports say that they'd embraced on the pitch after the game on Sunday, which would suggest that it had been forgotten about. Certainly seems like Gomez thought it was anyway.

• The title was changed to Raheem Sterling
21 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Liverpool fan by any chance?

No I’m a Bristol city fan, Stirling is rightly being punished for being a *****......again,

read what Rio had to say about it, he goes on about the “golden generation” and one of the reasons they didn’t win anything was because they couldn’t put club rivalries aside

42 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Nah I dont agree. 

It was a huge game of significant importance. It is plainly obvious that emotions are still going to be raw what 16 hours later? 

We don't know what happened so it's hard to judge but in my mind it could have been easily avoided had he given those involved in that game a day off. 

Now this next game is going to be overshadowed by this incident.

A day off? You do realise the game is on Thursday? 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No I’m a Bristol city fan, Stirling is rightly being punished for being a *****......again,

read what Rio had to say about it, he goes on about the “golden generation” and one of the reasons they didn’t win anything was because they couldn’t put club rivalries aside

Yep. For years you had the situation where the players would stick with their mates from their own club, eating on seperate tables and not mixing with the rest of the squad, and it didn't do them any favours on the pitch. Southgate has done a lot of work trying to change all that and we've seen the results.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. For years you had the situation where the players would stick with their mates from their own club, eating on seperate tables and not mixing with the rest of the squad, and it didn't do them any favours on the pitch. Southgate has done a lot of work trying to change all that and we've seen the results.

Just a shame we can’t defend, mind you that seems to be a common theme in the modern game these days

Archived