IGNORED

Raheem Sterling

pillred

23 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I'm amused by the description of Sterling trying to grab Gomez by the neck when Gomez is half a foot taller than him.

Upward thrust is quite effective and quite swift if you think about it.

21 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Ferdinand has come out and said Southgate is wrong.

Ferdinand should mind his own business. 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Hilarious all these pro ‘experts’ saying he should have done this, should have done that etc, with absolutely zero knowledge of what’s actually happened, or any reasons why it couldn’t be swept under the carpet like they’d want.

Also interesting how many have suggested it should have all been swept away and lied about to the media, yet when our own club doesn’t give 100% full disclosure on anything, fans are up in arms about lack of transparency. 

Would those pros be moaning if Gomez attacked Sterling and it was Gomez dropped? Not a chance IMO. 

Not only absolutely zero knowledge of what's actually happened, but also little or no experience of management and having to make such decisions.

The pundits who only gave up playing recently will undoubtedly comment based on how they would have wanted the incident handled had they been the culprit in their playing days.

In any other job an assault on a work colleague would almost certainly result in summary dismissal for gross misconduct, but as we all know footballers are treated as a special case. As demonstrated by Derby, it is solely because they have either a financial value to the club or , in this case, an on field value to the team. Southgate may have gone against the grain in the eyes of many, but perhaps if more managers did not shield their players from publicity when they act stupidly then more players might act more responsibly and the balance of power in the game would swing back a little from players and agents.

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Even brought the racism that Sterling has faced into the equation like it’s in any way relevant to this particular matter. Unnecessary. 

I was just thinking it is lucky that Gomez is not white! 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Even brought the racism that Sterling has faced into the equation like it’s in any way relevant to this particular matter. Unnecessary. 

It is relevant. The media have treated Raheem Stirling unfairly. Prejudice has been displayed to this player and Mr Southgate chose to make public an internal affair. Maybe he is a total knob but he has a valid view on man management based on a life within the game. He was making a parallel to his experiences as to how others dealt with what are normal challenges of Management.

18 minutes ago, Super said:

Ferdinand is a complete knob. 

This storm in a tea cup has been imo blown out if all proportion. They had a set to on a football pitch during a highly charged game with a lot at stake. So get them in your office and discuss what happened and tell them what is expected of them at international level. Dont leave out Sterling as that will only hurt the team and country. These sort of incidences can happen during matches, in training and elsewhere. Play it down and dont make a big deal about it. 

32 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is relevant. The media have treated Raheem Stirling unfairly. Prejudice has been displayed to this player and Mr Southgate chose to make public an internal affair. Maybe he is a total knob but he has a valid view on man management based on a life within the game. He was making a parallel to his experiences as to how others dealt with what are normal challenges of Management.

It’s not relevant to this incident. Sterling being a victim in the past does not come into the equation as regards his punishment for being the aggressor in another incident. They are unrelated incidents and it’s a cheap shot from Rio to throw Southgate under the bus about it citing past racism suffered. I deplore racism but it doesn’t give Sterling a get out of jail free card for acting like a *** with the England squad.

Let’s not forget for all Rio’s insight into the game he was part of a team of serial failures at international level, so perhaps he needs to accept he doesn’t know all the facts and isn’t in a place to criticise people’s handling of a situation he wasn’t involved in. 

And for what feels like the millionth time, we know pretty much none of the facts about exactly why it went public - let’s not be naive enough to think it’s as simple as ‘that’s what Southgate wanted’. There’s any number of reasons his hand may have been forced with regards as to what came out in public, not least of all the clear visible evidence of a physical altercation on the face of a player involved in an on field altercation with Gomez just the day before.

We don’t - and likely won’t - know how GS would have wanted it to play out in an ideal world. 

11 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Another thing that needs to be considered is whom it was that leaked this to the media last night? No doubt this was going to be kept in private and it would have been said Sterling had a knock or something so couldn't play however someone, most likely a player due to their media connections have leaked this to the press and prompted a response from Southgate.

This international period is now going to be dominated by the press learning of this, what happens in the England camp should stay in the England camp and if those responsible for leaking this are discovered they should be sent home. You dont snitch on a team mate to the press. That in itself undermines the manager.

It happened in the canteen, where there were Daily Mail journalists. Which makes it even more stupid of Sterling to do it in a public place. 

22 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well it’s more of the right thing than letting Sterling do whatever he wants because his form is good and he’s a ‘big name’ compared to Gomez....

As I said, Sterling’s reaction to it tells you all you need to know - he knows he’s ****** up. 

I have no issue with a manager acting decisively - by all accounts he wanted to be harsher than he was and send him home altogether, and it was only Henderson’s intervention that stopped it. 

Sometimes player’s need educating. Sweeping it under the rug and pretending it didn’t happen is just setting it up to happen again. 

If I physically confronted a colleague in my place of work I’d be dealt with a lot harsher than this. Hopefully he will learn from it. 

Once again vocal you are making an unequivocal statements … letting Sterling do whatever he wants … Sweeping it under the rug … I can't see even one post suggesting such.

What piqued my response was your view that Raheem Stirling previous experiences are irrelevant. Its beyond uncaring to suggest so. Sometimes, very frequently players need supporting to progress (educate). We can maybe agree that Raheem Stirling's past has been chequered and he has experienced negativity not of his own making. Stirling's past is relevant in his support (man management).

If I physically confronted a colleague … Your workplace is most likely incomparable. Your workplace will have its own culture, values and standards as football has its. 

Archived