IGNORED

Found a couple of old photos

1960maaan

They make an interesting contrast to the ones I've borrowed of the new look. The old place has come a long way.

First one the Lansdown , and the Williams as it was having seats fitted.

the-lansdown-stand-ashton-gate-bristol-city-1493917840.jpg.350de2a7c9c090335d0614b9c98c0d90.jpg

scan138.thumb.jpg.328aaef211df85111de708a36d55ec67.jpg

Second the East end seated, and the South stand. 

scan136.thumb.jpg.8efed5832e1786e47d041a92a36e9850.jpg

south-stand-ashton-gate-bristol-city-1493917840.jpg.fcfba7c3047fb96ce53db1f33249f1cc.jpg

This last one is from the old Football League Review, that used to come free in the Program.

scan134.thumb.jpg.933dcb8c2feed9f794609c6bb2c217dd.jpg

General-View-of-Ashton-Gate-Stadium.jpg.03c447d299aa8e47887a1bdd06ad32b8.jpg

Anyone know what year they did that work on the Williams? And when they extended the roof, was that when they also put the seats on the terracing? 

I've never been able to work out my first match - think it was about 1991 or 1992 -  but the Williams still had its smaller grey roof. 

Love the picture of the old open end. Remember as a kid running down to the gate in the bottom left of the photo to get a closer view. The steward there always faced the crowd and me, as a kid, asked him if he didn't mind missing the match. He said he didn't need to, he could tell what was going on by watching the crowds faces. 

Also remember them driving the Thorn Security vans round the edge of the pitch, and at one match (guessing near the end of the season) they were throwing Easter Eggs into the crowd. Any ideas which season this was? 

2 minutes ago, Greville Smythe said:

Anyone know what year they did that work on the Williams? And when they extended the roof, was that when they also put the seats on the terracing? 

I've never been able to work out my first match - think it was about 1991 or 1992 -  but the Williams still had its smaller grey roof. 

Love the picture of the old open end. Remember as a kid running down to the gate in the bottom left of the photo to get a closer view. The steward there always faced the crowd and me, as a kid, asked him if he didn't mind missing the match. He said he didn't need to, he could tell what was going on by watching the crowds faces. 

Also remember them driving the Thorn Security vans round the edge of the pitch, and at one match (guessing near the end of the season) they were throwing Easter Eggs into the crowd. Any ideas which season this was? 

The club acted pretty quick after the Taylor report came out . So yes about 91-92 I think 

30 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

What strikes me is the statement that Ashton Gate had a capacity of 39,000, which of course we knew, but it just brings it home how our new state of the art stadium , and all seaters in general have reduced capacities. 

This reminds me of a disagreement I had with I think NickJ about our capacity.  This picture was when we'd just returned to the top flight and was before the additional terracing was added  to the front of the Dolman increasing the capacity still further. Obviously over the years and quite rapidly the capacity was reduced for safety reasons, one major reason being the means of escape on the Dolman side of the ground, as there was no direct exit. Evidently, the club had tried to negotiate with the bowls club, but, to no avail. 

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The club acted pretty quick after the Taylor report came out . So yes about 91-92 I think 

Defo 91-92 season. I think clubs all got allocated a fair whack of money to add seats - something like £2m maybe? Pretty sure it paid for a lot of the Atyeo 

31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Always remember being excited when the new roof went on the Williams , but loved the terracing in the enclosure probably more than the east end. Even though I spent most games in there growing up. 

A good Spot was the enclosure on the right hand side looking at the pitch just in front of the grandstand. If it rained you could stand at the back and not get wet,  just in front of the grand stand, with the East End on your right. Early 1970s this was my prefeered Spot.

2 hours ago, Greville Smythe said:

Those pictures were taken in the summer of 1991.

Capacity was a bit of a joke back in the day. Whilst I've been in 32k, 37k and 38k crowds, I'm told that back in the 50s, 42k got in for one game.

of course, you can get more in standing than seating, but I look forward to the day when we are in the Prem, build the South Stand into a double decker, redevelop the Atyeo and fill in the corners to fully maximise space and income.

Nothing like a big crowd to create atmosphere. Even better when we can make the most of of the away fans maximising our income. It really pains me to see half of the Atyeo closed off. I don't even care whether its pillocks from Leeds or Villa so long as they pay us their money.

For me, the ground lost some of its  aura when it was made all seater - things like the loss of the distinctive floodlights and the way the shape of roof of the Williams changed when it was extended (and the removal of the old advertising hoardings hanging from the roof). 

I ‘m really pleased with how AG has been redeveloped and couldn’t be happier that we stayed in our spiritual home. 

When City were in Div 1 I watched the games from the East End and the atmosphere was something else on a different level to anything you get today, 37000 playing against Liverpool for example! However people today wouldn't put up with the lack of facilities of those days, when it was a big game there was no way you could even get to the toilets let alone get anything to eat or drink.

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Capacity was a bit of a joke back in the day. Whilst I've been in 32k, 37k and 38k crowds, I'm told that back in the 50s, 42k got in for one game.

of course, you can get more in standing than seating, but I look forward to the day when we are in the Prem, build the South Stand into a double decker, redevelop the Atyeo and fill in the corners to fully maximise space and income.

Nothing like a big crowd to create atmosphere. Even better when we can make the most of of the away fans maximising our income. It really pains me to see half of the Atyeo closed off. I don't even care whether its pillocks from Leeds or Villa so long as they pay us their money.

You've obviously been heavily influenced by the state of the art stadium up the road in Horfield, understandably like many of us your head has been turned slightly by the experience, but envy is an ugly thing, we really should not covet our neighbours ox.

Lets just make the most of what we have and be content with that for now, as poor and lacking as the current Ashton Gate may be it is what it is... Keeping up with the Joneses is a pointless pursuit as is our wishing to keep up with The Gas.  ?

6 hours ago, Offside said:

For me, the ground lost some of its  aura when it was made all seater - things like the loss of the distinctive floodlights and the way the shape of roof of the Williams changed when it was extended (and the removal of the old advertising hoardings hanging from the roof). 

I ‘m really pleased with how AG has been redeveloped and couldn’t be happier that we stayed in our spiritual home. 

Ah the floodlights, loved them especially on night matches. Really gave it a special atmosphere as a kid 

17 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

What strikes me is the statement that Ashton Gate had a capacity of 39,000, which of course we knew, but it just brings it home how our new state of the art stadium , and all seaters in general have reduced capacities. 

Resulting in the fewer attendees having to pay more.

17 hours ago, Greville Smythe said:

Easter. 
Don’t thank me .

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

When City were in Div 1 I watched the games from the East End and the atmosphere was something else on a different level to anything you get today, 37000 playing against Liverpool for example! However people today wouldn't put up with the lack of facilities of those days, when it was a big game there was no way you could even get to the toilets let alone get anything to eat or drink.

In those days the match was first , not letting opposition fans take your ‘ end ‘ was second .

Wading through piss at half time having experienced  something lava like in a melting plastic cup thinly disguised as tea was the norm .

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

they were throwing Easter Eggs into the crowd. Any ideas which season this was? 

Nope but still not as funny when Bowyers did something similar in the old first division days but with pork pies. They were thrown back trying to hit their van.

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Those were great days but the facilities were rank. Toilets, if you could get to them, were just tin shelving hanging at an angle, and you didn't want to be downstream!  Drinks were cheap but you couldn't tell Bovril from tea. Muddy walkways and dripping roofs. It was awful but we bloody loved it. Better facilities by far today but the game has changed as much as the stadiums.

Funny, although I've stood/sat in every part of the ground, I think if you're of a certain age you started on the old East End, that's just the way it was.
 I know it was pretty grim around the toilets, they even had their own tide. ! and open air ! But It was special. I started just to the left of the centre as you looked out, and people stood in the same spot each week. Strangely we stood behind the barrier so got crushed at ever goal or near miss. In the old First division days we moved to the open end, and at different times were in Dolman A block , Williams enclosure , Williams A block and now Lowe Lansdown.  Yes the ground and facilities are a million times better, but I'm glad I'm an old git and had the chance to live through those great atmospheres . 
One thing on attendance, I think the Evening Post gave one, maybe 2 figures of around 40k , estimated. As the gates at the back of the Open end were kicked open a couple of times, used to have the clipping, sadly long gone now.

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Funny, although I've stood/sat in every part of the ground, I think if you're of a certain age you started on the old East End, that's just the way it was.
 I know it was pretty grim around the toilets, they even had their own tide. ! and open air ! But It was special. I started just to the left of the centre as you looked out, and people stood in the same spot each week. Strangely we stood behind the barrier so got crushed at ever goal or near miss. In the old First division days we moved to the open end, and at different times were in Dolman A block , Williams enclosure , Williams A block and now Lowe Lansdown.  Yes the ground and facilities are a million times better, but I'm glad I'm an old git and had the chance to live through those great atmospheres . 
One thing on attendance, I think the Evening Post gave one, maybe 2 figures of around 40k , estimated. As the gates at the back of the Open end were kicked open a couple of times, used to have the clipping, sadly long gone now.

Like you I've been all around the ground but started my days as a kid in crackers corner  What an introduction to the English language that was. Some of those characters could have made a living as a comedian.

21 hours ago, Greville Smythe said:

That might've been Notts County 90/91 season, first season back in the old second division. 

Archived