IGNORED

England Women

RedRock

Dire.

Performance only out-done by the woeful commentators. 

How come have we regressed so far, so quickly? 

Looked like primary school football again. Thought we’d passed that particular milestone in Women’s football.... to think that Robonaha lady was given a slot at half-time campaigning for equal pay! Nah. 

I watched Australia women vs Chile women last night. It was fairly enjoyable although Chile were pretty awful skil wise, the work rate and commitment from both sides could not be faulted. 

I think the Oz women have recently been granted equal pay so I wouldn't be surprised if other countries follow suit? 

3 hours ago, Super said:

Why is this in Non Football Chat?

Because whenever it's in Football Chat, the thread gets derailed quickly. 

If it's easy enough to do, should be a separate sub forum a bit like the 'transfers' one. imo, Won't get the recurring problems on every thread.

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Because whenever it's in Football Chat, the thread gets derailed quickly. 

If it's easy enough to do, should be a separate sub forum a bit like the 'transfers' one. imo, Won't get the recurring problems on every thread.

Presumably it is too complicated for people that don't like women's football to ignore threads with titles that include the words "women's football",so to spare their feelings and to protect them from having to go to all that trouble of completely disregarding a subject that they clearly have no interest in,it is completely removed from harms way.

On 12/11/2019 at 23:36, Gakoe said:

I watched Australia women vs Chile women last night. It was fairly enjoyable although Chile were pretty awful skil wise, the work rate and commitment from both sides could not be faulted. 

I think the Oz women have recently been granted equal pay so I wouldn't be surprised if other countries follow suit? 

It would be crazy if they are wanting equal pay to match the highest earners of men’s football when the women’s football game generates such a small %.

Where do they think women’s teams are going to be able to find 13 or 14 £100,000 p/w minimum for first team players?

9 hours ago, grifty said:

It would be crazy if they are wanting equal pay to match the highest earners of men’s football when the women’s football game generates such a small %.

Where do they think women’s teams are going to be able to find 13 or 14 £100,000 p/w minimum for first team players?

Totally agree. The pay should surely reflect the revenue created? Incidentally, the captain of the Oz side has just signed for Chelsea women in a deal worth 2 million! Not sure if that's pounds or dollars but still seems a large amount for women's football. 

6 hours ago, Gakoe said:

Totally agree. The pay should surely reflect the revenue created? Incidentally, the captain of the Oz side has just signed for Chelsea women in a deal worth 2 million! Not sure if that's pounds or dollars but still seems a large amount for women's football. 

Sam Kerr scored 41 goals in 43 matches last year. The 2 million is dollars so about 1 million quid. Sam is sponsored by NIKE rumoured to be 1 million dollars a year. She is a football player of quality and started off as a winger but now centre forward. Sam   Would hold her own playing up against any defence in our championship now. Great player and great athlete. Chelsea got a bargain.

On 13/11/2019 at 07:36, Gakoe said:

That’s cricket where this pay agreement was only awarded last week. Football they  are decades behind in pay.

10 hours ago, City oz said:

Sam Kerr scored 41 goals in 43 matches last year. The 2 million is dollars so about 1 million quid. Sam is sponsored by NIKE rumoured to be 1 million dollars a year. She is a football player of quality and started off as a winger but now centre forward. Sam   Would hold her own playing up against any defence in our championship now. Great player and great athlete. Chelsea got a bargain.

I have heard and read about this Australian footballer; obviously an extremely talented young lady, and I just love the name given to their National Team - Matildas, although (and I am not being sexist or patronising) I think I would have chosen Koalas.

I have also seen some clips of her playing and, as I say above, she is clearly a very good player.

Let's not get carried away, though: I don't envisage Kalas, Williams or Baker (or Moore) losing too much sleep about having to defend against her.

Chelsea may well have got a bargain (for Women's football), but, without wishing to denigrate SK or women's football in general, there is a long way to go before the latter starts to compare with men's football - just enjoy it for what it is without making fanciful comparisons.

On 13/11/2019 at 07:36, Gakoe said:

The oz girls did not get equal pay it was the female cricket team. Football in OZ has come along way and because the quality of the men’s A League which I would compare with league 2 in England it makes the girls look good. Sam Kerr is the stand out for the girls and is a fantastic footballer by any one standards 

2 hours ago, City oz said:

The oz girls did not get equal pay it was the female cricket team. Football in OZ has come along way and because the quality of the men’s A League which I would compare with league 2 in England it makes the girls look good. Sam Kerr is the stand out for the girls and is a fantastic footballer by any one standards 

Yes, my mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

• Admin
On 15/11/2019 at 01:43, City oz said:

Sam   Would hold her own playing up against any defence in our championship now. Great player and great athlete. Chelsea got a bargain.

Nothing personal but that is total nonsense, physically alone it would be like playing against a teenage boy at best

Lucy Bronze is probably the best English player and she's acknowledged that the transition to the men's game is light years away from her level 

I am assuming Chelsea are one of these clubs where their sports sponsors have a big say behind certain things, no doubt that reflects much of her transfer fee etc

When I think about women's football I think at what level would it be if it was men's football? And the reality is it would be pretty low down the pyramid and as I dont watch that level of football then I'm not going to watch women's football just because it's being showcased. They all want equal pay and all that and that's fair enough, but you should earn what others earn at a similar level to yourselves.

I imagine there are a lot of people who compare women's football to men, and I suspect they are almost all men. That is the nature of it, fair enough, and I imagine that may always be the case. Comparison is natural and hopefully there will a reasoned approach. I enjoy going to all sorts of matches, be it professional, semi-pro, amateur or whatever - including women's football. I know there is a very obvious mind-set of making valuations between them, but I try not to let it cloud the facts. Same game, different players.

With regards to equal pay, we need to look at a particular function of reward. For most of us working in similar jobs doing everyday work, we have equality laws to provide means of avoiding discrimination (although there are cases in many occupations). However, when it comes to doing 'jobs' at the highest level of performance (be it sport, entertainment or any elite status) the pay/reward system has different ways of operating. How many players at a top club think they are all getting paid the same? Does Elton John or Paul McCartney have to comply with equal pay laws? Do they get the same as their backing singers? No. At this end of the talent spectrum the money is distributed according to individual negotiations. I respect the clubs and nations that do pay male and female footballers the same 'for doing the same job'. But the money from sport is largely derived from its ability to attract spectators - and the women's game is patently far behind on that front.

Women's football isn't men's football.....never will be. The minute that you understand that and judge the women's game for what it is....then you can enjoy it. 

It took me a while, I've had to adapt my narrow minded views as have a daughter who plays/ watches women's football. 

18 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Follow Tamworth FC, their ladies team were winning 11-0 at Stoke. After 75 minutes, the Stoke team players all walked off the pitch claiming they were injured! 

Long way to go! 

Not exactly true. Game abandoned when Stoke where reduced through injury below minimum numbers. Watched City Women today at Reading, total commitment til the end and a great comeback. Wouldn't knock the women's game for guts. Puts Neymar to shame.

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Nothing personal but that is total nonsense, physically alone it would be like playing against a teenage boy at best

Lucy Bronze is probably the best English player and she's acknowledged that the transition to the men's game is light years away from her level 

I am assuming Chelsea are one of these clubs where their sports sponsors have a big say behind certain things, no doubt that reflects much of her transfer fee etc

Indeed, and as I said above (#12):

'Chelsea may well have got a bargain (for Women's football), but, without wishing to denigrate SK or women's football in general, there is a long way to go before the latter starts to compare with men's football - just enjoy it for what it is without making fanciful comparisons.'

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

When I think about women's football I think at what level would it be if it was men's football? And the reality is it would be pretty low down the pyramid and as I dont watch that level of football then I'm not going to watch women's football just because it's being showcased. They all want equal pay and all that and that's fair enough, but you should earn what others earn at a similar level to yourselves.

What a stupid post. No idea why you are comparing the two.

3 hours ago, miser said:

Not exactly true. Game abandoned when Stoke where reduced through injury below minimum numbers. Watched City Women today at Reading, total commitment til the end and a great comeback. Wouldn't knock the women's game for guts. Puts Neymar to shame.

That old belter,when any team in any sport does well it’s the “puts the English football team to shame” comparison,what the hell does Bristol women making a comeback have to do with Neymar 

4 hours ago, Spoons said:

Women's football isn't men's football.....never will be. The minute that you understand that and judge the women's game for what it is....then you can enjoy it. 

It took me a while, I've had to adapt my narrow minded views as have a daughter who plays/ watches women's football. 

Spot on,same for every sport be it tennis athletics darts or tiddlywinks,the fairer sex will always be worse then men but enjoy it for what it is

• Admin

Phil Neville is to leave his role as England women's manager next summer.

The 43-year-old former Manchester United and Everton defender was appointed in January 2018 on a contract until the summer of 2021.

He led the Lionesses to a first SheBelieves Cup title and a fourth-place finish at the World Cup in 2019.

But since last year's quarter-final win over Norway, they have lost seven of 11 games and failed to retain their SheBelieves Cup title in March.

Neville, a former England international, had been set to lead Team GB into this summer's Olympic Games, before taking control of the Lionesses at the Women's Euros on home soil in 2021.

But that tournament is moving to July 2022.

Despite recent results, Neville has retained the support of the Football Association. The decision about his future has come about because of coronavirus and its impact on the women's football calendar.

Ideally, the FA wants the continuity of the same person taking both the GB side through the Tokyo Olympics and England to the Euros and the 2023 World Cup.

The postponements of the Olympics and Euros give the FA time to appoint a new manager and refresh the playing squad before that run of major tournaments.

After the SheBelieves Cup, at which England lost to World Cup winners the United States and also Spain, Neville said he would walk away if he felt he was not "motivated enough" to continue.

He also said: "I think we need to take a step back now and start building the foundations again - getting back to the brilliant basics."

• Admin
41 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Neville was a bizarre appointment anyway. He’d never managed before, had zero background in the women’s game and has the personality of a vacuum in a vacuum.

Agree, sadly he seems to have taken the team backwards

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Agree, sadly he seems to have taken the team backwards

I don't think that's fair. 4th place in the world cup previous best 3rd, first tournament victory in She Believes Cup. OK on a poor run but to say taken the team backwards is harsh.

Mark Sampson was the man but too many skeletons for the FA

Archived