IGNORED

Subbuteo and Gimp Masks

Shtanley

Absolutely loving the podcasts Stan. I'm a relatively new listener and now really look forward to the new episodes as well as catching up on 'A Cider With'.

As an exile I miss conversations about City and its great to hear you guys annalise games and individual players in your own way. You make a long hack around Melbourne's motorways much more bearable. Keep up the good work and thanks again. :clap:

1 minute ago, Agard Days Night said:

Really enjoy TSIB. Love all the city chat and think Stan has really grown into a great host. One of the highlights of my week, especially since I haven’t been able to get to the Gate recently after my accident.

Is the podcast missing a female voice though - maybe time to get @Dollymarie on?

Never crossed my mind…I don't think it does (no offence to Dolly, mind)

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski must listen for you mate...we’ll first 10 minutes anyway!!!

If only you knew of the Politics involved in 'Subbuteo' Dave.

It's become a minefield.

What Josh played isn't really Subbuteo as we know it and remember so fondly.

He played 'Sports Table Football' which uses the name Subbuteo as it's lead so to speak. Run by an organisation FISTF ( federation of International Sports Table Football) that has its own rules, own equipment etc.

In fact it was invented to compete against Subbuteo at the time.

It's played by people who want to compete, be in an organisation, have world player rankings, generally highly competitive and at ' higher' levels pretty unfriendly.

It doesn't even really replicate football...apart from the figures, pitch, net and ball. 

It's like shove h'penny...highly polished plastic flat discs being flicked in straight lines. It replicates nothing like football.

The people who play it see it as a sport ?????? seriously delusional. Some even want it in the Olympics ??????.

Subbuteo the game was invented to play in a way that tried to replicate football on a table. Using football formations, figures that moved in more than straight lines, with rules trying to recreate football. Using a bit of imagination, humour, and not taken seriously. A game...a past time. Collecting the teams and accessories, building Stadiums etc. 

That exists still...and usually comes under the 'Old Subbuteo' banner. Where people use the original Subbuteo equipment from the 60/70/80s. It's heyday. Generally collected and played by blokes who remember it as kids...and now played and collected the same way.

It's more about meeting up, talking Footy, having a few beers, a BBQ, playing a few Subbuteo games for fun, generally having a laugh and taking the piss out of one another and sharing and dealing collections.

It's just a game and shouldn't be taken seriously or even considered a sport. The FISTF lot are an embarrassment. 20 stone blokes turning up in full football kit...yes they have to wear a kit ??????? sweating over flicking bits of plastic ???????

Seriously mental.

The Old Subbuteo experience is more like match day...beer, banter, mates and footy on a table rather than pitch.

As Josh says though...it does get passionate...and under your skin but in different ways.

I've made loads of friends across Europe playing and collecting Subbuteo...not FISTF.

It's huge in Italy. A bunch of my mates I play Subbuteo with, are travelling to Italy to meet up with other collectors and players. We'll go watch a footy game together, go for long Italian lunches, drink good wine, meet the families, chat bollox, talk footy and play a few games and deal in a few teams etc.

Bristol has a thriving Subbuteo Club where they play both Subbuteo and FISTF...but it's still too competitive for me. Just about playing games and league tables. They play at Bristol Manor Farm FC once a month.

I have to travel all the way to Worcester once a month to get my real Subbuteo fix. We get people travel from as far as Southend and Yorkshire just for an afternoon of Subbuteo laughs. Plus Italians will fly across just for the weekend to meet up 

It's a good laugh. And most people reading this will go Wtf!!! ?????

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's become a minefield.

He played 'Sports Table Football' which uses the name Subbuteo as it's lead so to speak. Run by an organisation FISTF ( federation of International Sports Table Football) that has its own rules, own equipment etc.

It's played by people who want to compete, be in an organisation, have world player rankings, generally highly competitive and at ' higher' levels pretty unfriendly.

It doesn't even really replicate football...apart from the figures, pitch, net and ball. 

It's like shove h'penny...highly polished plastic flat discs being flicked in straight lines. It replicates nothing like football.

The people who play it see it as a sport ?????? seriously delusional. Some even want it in the Olympics ??????.

Subbuteo the game was invented to play in a way that tried to replicate football on a table. Using football formations, figures that moved in more than straight lines, with rules trying to recreate football. Using a bit of imagination, humour, and not taken seriously. A game...a past time. Collecting the teams and accessories, building Stadiums etc. 

That exists still...and usually comes under the 'Old Subbuteo' banner. Where people use the original Subbuteo equipment from the 60/70/80s. It's heyday. Generally collected and played by blokes who remember it as kids...and now played and collected the same way.

It's more about meeting up, talking Footy, having a few beers, a BBQ, playing a few Subbuteo games for fun, generally having a laugh and taking the piss out of one another and sharing and dealing collections.

It's just a game and shouldn't be taken seriously or even considered a sport. The FISTF lot are an embarrassment. 20 stone blokes turning up in full football kit...yes they have to wear a kit ??????? sweating over flicking bits of plastic ???????

Seriously mental.

The Old Subbuteo experience is more like match day...beer, banter, mates and footy on a table rather than pitch.

As Josh says though...it does get passionate...and under your skin but in different ways.

I've made loads of friends across Europe playing and collecting Subbuteo...not FISTF.

It's huge in Italy. A bunch of my mates I play Subbuteo with, are travelling to Italy to meet up with other collectors and players. We'll go watch a footy game together, go for long Italian lunches, drink good wine, meet the families, chat bollox, talk footy and play a few games and deal in a few teams etc.

Bristol has a thriving Subbuteo Club where they play both Subbuteo and FISTF...but it's still too competitive for me. Just about playing games and league tables. They play at Bristol Manor Farm FC once a month.

I have to travel all the way to Worcester once a month to get my real Subbuteo fix. We get people travel from as far as Southend and Yorkshire just for an afternoon of Subbuteo laughs. Plus Italians will fly across just for the weekend to meet up 

I thought I'd have a quick look at their website, and came across the following menu option. I was a bit scared to click on it from my work computer... :blink:

sub.png

16 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I thought I'd have a quick look at their website, and came across the following menu option. I was a bit scared to click on it from my work computer... :blink:

sub.png

To see how mental the FISTF lot are...check out the vid Josh talks about.

Some serious weird stuff ?????

41 minutes ago, !james said:

Lets be honest whichever version you are talking about nobody is coming out of this with any street cred...

I feel you are tarnishing my Tyning Junior School Subbuteo 1979 title ???

Bristol City 3-1 Argentina (although I was given a 1 goal head start for being a 3rd year against a 4th year I still won 2-1) in front of a packed classroom, who witnessed a huge giant killing. 

1 hour ago, !james said:

Lets be honest whichever version you are talking about nobody is coming out of this with any street cred...

Oh I don't know... you'd be surprised who collect and play it. Di Canio, Djocovic, Italian /Juve keeper who's name escapes me ... it's retro cool in Europe.

Far more social and interactive than FIFA etc.

18 hours ago, Gakoe said:

As an exile I miss conversations about City and its great to hear you guys annalise games and individual players in your own way. You make a long hack around Melbourne's motorways much more bearable. Keep up the good work and thanks again. :clap:

I don't know if that's an accidental misspelling or a subtle Australia/ neighbours reference but anyway...

Screenshot_20191113-202044_Samsung Internet.jpg

14 hours ago, spudski said:

It's become a minefield.

Seriously mental.

you have totally missed the point, you start off from Parson street station (PSN) take @Never to the dark side with you and play well. I was all fingers and thumbs when I played so I guess I will be left back again. :dunno:

Thanks for another great listen - was on a 5 hour / 300 drive home and provided me with good spirits for 1:30 of that. Not sure what my colleague thought when she saw the title of the podcast tho ?

Archived