IGNORED

Ashton Gate Summer Gigs (Merged)

Bristol Rob

45 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, it was at Cardiff. Wow, 15 years! I first saw U2 on Joshua Tree tour in 1987, at NEC. I am bloody ancient :rofl2br:

We must be around the same age, as I saw the Joshua tour as well. One of my biggest regrets now as I saw it at Wembley and was supposed to see Bowie on the Glass Spiders gig but swapped my ticket to see U2 again at the old Arms Park.
I never got to see Bowie 

9 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

We must be around the same age, as I saw the Joshua tour as well. One of my biggest regrets now as I saw it at Wembley and was supposed to see Bowie on the Glass Spiders gig but swapped my ticket to see U2 again at the old Arms Park.
I never got to see Bowie 

no way! I never got to see Bowie either. 

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It would aid the thread if you could make your knowledge of the band clear, and indeed your attendance intentions known.

As usual not made my mind up yet. I am sure to many the band is awesome(if you just knew how much I hate that word) to others they can't stand them, I will make most home games. hope that answers your question satisfactorily 

It seems like I'm the only person completely underwhelmed by this.

Yes, a pretty big 'name' band, but one who is still trading off the success of their first album imo.

I know I'm in the minority here with regards to The Killers, but I'm gonna double-down on that and say I cannot stand Mr Brightside at all. Totally aware I'm one of the few people that dislikes that track so its more my taste than it being shit.

Would've much preferred a curve-ball act like Queens of the Stone Age though. Although, not a safe and 'radio friendly' band, the tickets would've sold out within days without doubt.

Considering the acts that have played in the redeveloped AG, I have absolutely no doubt that Ed Sheeran has also been sounded out about playing there too, although I think he's taking a break from touring at the moment.

Ironically, ES has ties to the Bristol music scene (friendly with Joe Peng and Grant Marshall amongst others). When he played on Glastonburys Pyramid the first time (2016?) he did a cover of Laid Blaks 'Red' and there was probably only a handful of people there that had any idea he performed a cover version of a fairly obscure (nationally) Bristol band track. That impressed me hugely. The bulk of his music unfortunately doesn't.

5 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

It seems like I'm the only person completely underwhelmed by this.

Yes, a pretty big 'name' band, but one who is still trading off the success of their first album imo.

I know I'm in the minority here with regards to The Killers, but I'm gonna double-down on that and say I cannot stand Mr Brightside at all. Totally aware I'm one of the few people that dislikes that track so its more my taste than it being shit.

Would've much preferred a curve-ball act like Queens of the Stone Age though. Although, not a safe and 'radio friendly' band, the tickets would've sold out within days without doubt.

Considering the acts that have played in the redeveloped AG, I have absolutely no doubt that Ed Sheeran has also been sounded out about playing there too, although I think he's taking a break from touring at the moment.

Ironically, ES has ties to the Bristol music scene (friendly with Joe Peng and Grant Marshall amongst others). When he played on Glastonburys Pyramid the first time (2016?) he did a cover of Laid Blaks 'Red' and there was probably only a handful of people there that had any idea he performed a cover version of a fairly obscure (nationally) Bristol band track. That impressed me hugely. The bulk of his music unfortunately doesn't.

No, as mentioned above, you are not. 

I would absolutely love to watch the Manics at the Gate, but am not prepared to go and see them opening for the Killers, who just leave me cold. I got soul but I.... no, actually I haven't. 

Just now, City Rocker said:

No, as mentioned above, you are not. 

I would absolutely love to watch the Manics at the Gate, but am not prepared to go and see them opening for the Killers, who just leave me cold. I got soul but I.... no, actually I haven't. 

Thank Bob for that. I thought I was the only one.

Although, the MSP leave me cold too.

Strange fact about them is their drummer used to live in Longwell Green at the height of their fame.

Why? Absolutely no idea, but a guy I used to work with was good friends with him and his wife and even he didn't have a clue why he lived there of all places.

Anyway, Bristol has often been on the cutting edge when it comes to music so the fact we've had the likes of Spice Girls, Take That, Rod bleeding Stewart and now The Killers playing at AG I find it incredibly disappointing whoever books the acts doesn't look any further than who is getting airplay on Radio 1 or 2 right now.

19 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yeah, saw Adam and the Ants at the Locarno as well. Duran Duran didn't have enough guitars for me. 

Was on a bus stop outside the Colston hall that night must have been about 10:45 and all you lot were coming out of the gig all make up and dandy highwayman I thought to myself who on earth are they? it must have been just before he hit the big time. I soon knew what all the fuss was about, Christ seems like yesterday where did the time go? 

5 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Strange fact about them is their drummer used to live in Longwell Green at the height of their fame.

Why? Absolutely no idea, but a guy I used to work with was good friends with him and his wife and even he didn't have a clue why he lived there of all places.

Anyway, Bristol has often been on the cutting edge when it comes to music so the fact we've had the likes of Spice Girls, Take That, Rod bleeding Stewart and now The Killers playing at AG I find it incredibly disappointing whoever books the acts doesn't look any further than who is getting airplay on Radio 1 or 2 right now.

Ashton Gate and Bristol Sport aren't a&r people looking to take a band on a journey, it's all about ticket sales and beer sales.

If the number stack up, they'll host it.

18 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Music is all subjective and about opinions, the fact of the matter is that Take That, the Spice Girls, Rod Stewart all sold loads of tickets (only Rod didn’t fully sell out iirc) and the Killers are guaranteed to sell out. 

Therefore, Bristol Sport make loads of money and they’re happy. Just because you don’t like the acts doesn’t mean they’re lacking a ‘cutting edge’, far from it in fact, as ticket sales show 

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I remember they went off before the encore and the crowd started singing ‘I’ve got souk but I’m not a soldier’ over and over and they came back on and Brandon Flowers said ‘hold your horses’ and they finished with All These Things I’ve Done.  It was amazing seeing a band at their absolute peak in such a small venue

It’s a fantastic venue.

We were in the seats that just offer the most perfect view of the stage. Have seen a few other gigs at the venue.

it gas now been refurbished don’t know if that has changed anything,

36 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Ashton Gate and Bristol Sport aren't a&r people looking to take a band on a journey, it's all about ticket sales and beer sales.

If the number stack up, they'll host it.

23 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Music is all subjective and about opinions, the fact of the matter is that Take That, the Spice Girls, Rod Stewart all sold loads of tickets (only Rod didn’t fully sell out iirc) and the Killers are guaranteed to sell out. 

Therefore, Bristol Sport make loads of money and they’re happy. Just because you don’t like the acts doesn’t mean they’re lacking a ‘cutting edge’, far from it in fact, as ticket sales show 

Oh, I completely agree with both of you and can totally understand the business sense behind the bookings. 

The thing is, anyone could pick these bands and know they're gonna make money from ticket sales.

How about we try and do things a little differently and book bands that are leftfield but will still sell out? Ffs, isn't that what Bristol as a city has always done? We have our own style, vibe and have never pandered to the normal 'London-centric' norms. Why on earth can't we make the most of that and become a known venue for the more 'off-centre' music scene.

Foals, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem,  Pixies, Depeche Mode amongst many others would all sell out if booked. Again, not all of those are my cup of tea but it would tie into the Bristol ethos of not going with the norm and would make AG stand out against the millions of over venues who only book safe acts.

4 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Oh, I completely agree with both of you and can totally understand the business sense behind the bookings. 

The thing is, anyone could pick these bands and know they're gonna make money from ticket sales.

How about we try and do things a little differently and book bands that are leftfield but will still sell out? Ffs, isn't that what Bristol as a city has always done? We have our own style, vibe and have never pandered to the normal 'London-centric' norms. Why on earth can't we make the most of that and become a known venue for the more 'off-centre' music scene.

Foals, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem,  Pixies, Depeche Mode amongst many others would all sell out if booked. Again, not all of those are my cup of tea but it would tie into the Bristol ethos of not going with the norm and would make AG stand out against the millions of over venues who only book safe acts.

Out of all of those I’d say Radiohead and perhaps Depeche Mode would probably sell out, the rest might do but certainly wouldn’t have the same draw as the acts we’ve had in the last 6 months and the Killers. 

I do get your point about wanting to make AG a different sort of music centre but at the end of the day, it’s all money based and the acts we’re bringing in will make more money than the ones you’ve mentioned

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Out of all of those I’d say Radiohead and perhaps Depeche Mode would probably sell out, the rest might do but certainly wouldn’t have the same draw as the acts we’ve had in the last 6 months and the Killers. 

I do get your point about wanting to make AG a different sort of music centre but at the end of the day, it’s all money based and the acts we’re bringing in will make more money than the ones you’ve mentioned

Any evidence of that or is it just your opinion?

Surely any act that sells out, (and I have no doubt all the artists I mentioned would sell out) would bring in roughly the same amount of money?

Just because they may not be bands the masses know and love doesn't mean they dont have huge fan bases. 

There's a reason all those bands (ironically apart from Depeche Mode) have headlined Glastonbury over the last few years.

Edit: by headline, I dont just mean Pyramid headliners.

8 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Any evidence of that or is it just your opinion?

Surely any act that sells out, (and I have no doubt all the artists I mentioned would sell out) would bring in roughly the same amount of money?

Just because they may not be bands the masses know and love doesn't mean they dont have huge fan bases. 

There's a reason all those bands (ironically apart from Depeche Mode) have headlined Glastonbury over the last few years.

It’s opinion, but based off of record sales and discographies of all the bands you mentioned. Bar Radiohead, who’s UK album sales are apparently around the 3 million mark, about 1/15th of Take That, none of them come close to the artists we’ve had at Ashton gate. When you consider that Rod Stewart, with over 120 million albums sold, failed to sell out, I doubt somewhat that the Pixies (who have never headlined Glastonbury) would sell out themselves.

Having done a little bit of research, Radiohead (arguably the biggest band of the ones you’ve mentioned) are playing in Manchester next June and are still yet to sell out the 3500 capacity venue they’re performing at, that doesn’t sound like a group who could sell out a 35k venue to me...

Just now, JBFC II said:

It’s opinion, but based off of record sales and discographies of all the bands you mentioned. Bar Radiohead, none of them come close to the artists we’ve had at Ashton gate. When you consider that Rod Stewart, with over 120 million albums sold, failed to sell out, I doubt somewhat that the Pixies (who have never headlined Glastonbury) would sell out.

Apologies, Pixies were one act down from headliners on the Other Stage in 2014 and that stage was rammed for them. They still have a massive following in European countries. Maybe even bigger than the likes of Radiohead etc. That's certainly the feeling I've had from going to festivals abroad over the years. You can also add Depeche Mode to that too. Without doubt they are more loved in Europe than the UK.

You say your opinion is based off of record sales and discographies and contradicted yourself by saying Rod Stewart struggled to sell out and hes sold more than most over a lot longer period.

The point I was trying to make was and is, popularity amongst the masses is all well and good, but it isn't the be all and end all of what makes good music and I have no doubt that we could and should as a music venue be more adventurous with the acts we book.

Great musicians/bands will always appeal and have more longevity than nostalgia acts like Spice Girls or Take That.

8 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Apologies, Pixies were one act down from headliners on the Other Stage in 2014 and that stage was rammed for them. They still have a massive following in European countries. Maybe even bigger than the likes of Radiohead etc. That's certainly the feeling I've had from going to festivals abroad over the years. You can also add Depeche Mode to that too. Without doubt they are more loved in Europe than the UK.

You say your opinion is based off of record sales and discographies and contradicted yourself by saying Rod Stewart struggled to sell out and hes sold more than most over a lot longer period.

The point I was trying to make was and is, popularity amongst the masses is all well and good, but it isn't the be all and end all of what makes good music and I have no doubt that we could and should as a music venue be more adventurous with the acts we book.

Great musicians/bands will always appeal and have more longevity than nostalgia acts like Spice Girls or Take That.

They will always appeal, but they will to a minority. Hence why the spice girls and take that can still sell out 40k arenas whilst the acts you mentioned are now struggling to sell out 3.5k venues....

As I said earlier, Bristol Sport will only bring in acts that will sell out Ashton Gate, none of the ones you’ve mentioned would 

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I was at that gig...to be fair the Killers were awesome..don't think they have moved on much since then tho and I probably wont go to see them at AG but I think it's fantastic that Bristol now has a venue that major bands play at and even more fantastic that its Ashton Gate ??????

The thing is, if you go and see Queen, or Rod Stewart etc you dont go to listen to their new material, I think Brian May said something along these lines recently? 

Same with the Killers, I wont be going to listen to their new stuff, I'll be going to listen to their classics. 

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

Typical Bristol attitude. People complain nothing gets built in Bristol, when a planning allocation gets put in, people then complain about that.

Now seems that has carried over to music. People used to complain that Bristol never had a venue that could host these huge concerts, they would stare at cities with envy that did have a venue to host these concerts. Now we ourselves have that venue and are starting to attract world class acts (which then helps us attract even bigger acts in the future) people like yourself then say well yes we want these big gigs, but not these big gigs, someone different that no one has heard of just some can be different. Let's not make any money just so we can stand out from the crowd due to be different. 

I dont have a clue who any of the bands you mention are save from one or two, probably know one or two of their songs if I heard them but that's about it, and I'm pretty into my music.

Whilst the likes of the Spice girls, take that and now the killers sell out time and time again then there is absolutely no reason to take a risk and try something different is there? 

The fact these concerts easily sell out,  suggest there is a huge appetite for these acts and your in a minority with your opinion.

Bristol has been off of the promoters radars since forever. Attracting these bands to AG should be viewed as a good thing, once the basketball arena is built we will then likely be able to attract the smaller gigs all year round to perform there due to the contacts we are making, Bristol will be viewed as a serious place for live music gigs. 

Bristol let's itself down big time, we are blessed to have huge open spaces like the downs and Ashton Court, blaise castle etc. They should be utilized for these huge outdoor concerts you see in other Cities. I know the downs do things now but it's not like a Ed Sheeran that would sell the downs out is it? 

Bristol is also ideally placed to attract people as bar Cardiff there is nothing else around. We need to stop being a backwards City and not wanting anything to change and embrace these sort of things and look at what other opportunities are possible. When you have all these people coming into a City for these concerts, spending money in the City then that means more investment happens in the City, things like a tram system then becomes a realistic possibility. 

I've not been a huge fan of too much of their music for a while but I'll certainly be getting tickets if I can. I've only had the pleasure of seeing them live on one occasion, I shouldn't even claim that as it was a total of one song at Live 8 - but what a song that was! 

No questions this will sell out in quick fashion. A bit of a flashback to the college/uni years where the final song of practically every club night/house party was Mr Brightside regardless of the nights intended genre. Even at a big dance music night you'd have DJ's putting their own questionable beat over the song. 

4 hours ago, internetjef said:

Absolute madness if Radiohead aren’t selling a 3500 gig. Would have thought they would comfortably have sold out AG twice over. 

They didn't sell out the Louisiana back in the day!

As for the Pixies, went to see them in Cardiff at the Motorpoint a couple of years back. Whilst as brilliant as usual, they didn't sell out.

10 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

You do realise that whoever books the acts needs to book gigs that will sell out, yeah..?!

Spice Girls = sold out

Take That = sold out

Killers = Will sell out. 

Doing a very good job, even if it doesn’t suit your particular music taste. 

Archived