IGNORED

Ashton Gate Summer Gigs (Merged)

Bristol Rob

25 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Saw Bob Dylan and Neil Young at Hyde Park last summer and they were fab. Would be great to see them at the Gate but I guess the Spice Girls is where we’re at!

There is likely to be more than one concert…

Plus, as Mark Kelly said, it depends on who is touring at the specific time.

6 hours ago, internetjef said:

Absolute madness if Radiohead aren’t selling a 3500 gig. Would have thought they would comfortably have sold out AG twice over. 

I did wonder about Radiohead, but ThomYorke is doing a solo tour into next year , Glasgow in June. So little to no chance. 

Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift tipped for Glasto next year, might be a chance of a warm up. 
The Hives are touring in the USA.
The Cure are doing loads of Festivals .
ELO .
Kiss are doing their last tour. Can't wait to see Gene Simmons on the roof :clapping:

In other news just saw Elton John is touring at the end of next year. Just for a laugh I thought I'd check out the pricing. 2 tickets, on the side , and two of very few left. £ 874 the pair, is this normal prices for the O2 ? Who pays around a grand for gig tickets, no one I know I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I did wonder about Radiohead, but ThomYorke is doing a solo tour into next year , Glasgow in June. So little to no chance. 

Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift tipped for Glasto next year, might be a chance of a warm up. 
The Hives are touring in the USA.
The Cure are doing loads of Festivals .
ELO .
Kiss are doing their last tour. Can't wait to see Gene Simmons on the roof :clapping:

In other news just saw Elton John is touring at the end of next year. Just for a laugh I thought I'd check out the pricing. 2 tickets, on the side , and two of very few left. £ 874 the pair, is this normal prices for the O2 ? Who pays around a grand for gig tickets, no one I know I'm sure.

Isn’t it his last ever tour? Especially after the movie came out I can see why he is able to charge so much for tickets, people are willing to pay as well it seems!

12 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I was more into Adam & the Ants or Duran Duran, then…

And it was all Depeche Mode around that time for me. Sometimes it seems only like yesterday and other times a lifetime ago. It’s weird how some songs can take you back to an exact moment, time and place instantly. 

Just now, RedM said:

And it was all Depeche Mode around that time for me. Sometimes it seems only like yesterday and other times a lifetime ago. It’s weird how some songs can take you back to an exact moment, time and place instantly. 

See You by Depeche Mode : Keynsham Leisure Centre Roller-disco on a Saturday afternoon. I still love that song!

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Isn’t it his last ever tour? Especially after the movie came out I can see why he is able to charge so much for tickets, people are willing to pay as well it seems!

Just had a look around, those were Platinum tickets, so I looked to see what you get for such posh sounding tickets. Turns out nothing, you are right, they are priced on demand . It say the price can change, so basically sell well cost more. I just think that is a rip off. 

Screenshot 2019-11-16 at 10.55.51.png

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just had a look around, those were Platinum tickets, so I looked to see what you get for such posh sounding tickets. Turns out nothing, you are right, they are priced on demand . It say the price can change, so basically sell well cost more. I just think that is a rip off. 

Screenshot 2019-11-16 at 10.55.51.png

It’s a total rip off I agree, 406 pounds to watch a concert!

That being said, sadly people will pay for them. It’s much like football in that regard, if the demand is there, prices increase. 

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It’s a total rip off I agree, 406 pounds to watch a concert!

That being said, sadly people will pay for them. It’s much like football in that regard, if the demand is there, prices increase. 

Makes it worse there is something in place which try to force you to buy tickets now as they might go up if it's popular. It's one thing if they're expensive, but t charge more because it's is selling well sounds a bit like touting to me. 

11 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Oh, I completely agree with both of you and can totally understand the business sense behind the bookings. 

The thing is, anyone could pick these bands and know they're gonna make money from ticket sales.

How about we try and do things a little differently and book bands that are leftfield but will still sell out? Ffs, isn't that what Bristol as a city has always done? We have our own style, vibe and have never pandered to the normal 'London-centric' norms. Why on earth can't we make the most of that and become a known venue for the more 'off-centre' music scene.

Foals, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem,  Pixies, Depeche Mode amongst many others would all sell out if booked. Again, not all of those are my cup of tea but it would tie into the Bristol ethos of not going with the norm and would make AG stand out against the millions of over venues who only book safe acts.

In other words you're saying Bristol should remain COD LOTS rather than London & everywhere else's FISH & CHIPS... 

# 'Bristol - just a little bit different!'    

I'd go along with that!  :farmer:

12 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Oh, I completely agree with both of you and can totally understand the business sense behind the bookings. 

The thing is, anyone could pick these bands and know they're gonna make money from ticket sales.

How about we try and do things a little differently and book bands that are leftfield but will still sell out? Ffs, isn't that what Bristol as a city has always done? We have our own style, vibe and have never pandered to the normal 'London-centric' norms. Why on earth can't we make the most of that and become a known venue for the more 'off-centre' music scene.

Foals, Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem,  Pixies, Depeche Mode amongst many others would all sell out if booked. Again, not all of those are my cup of tea but it would tie into the Bristol ethos of not going with the norm and would make AG stand out against the millions of over venues who only book safe acts.

Bristol Sport does not book the bands. It hires out the stadium to the promoter, who then books the bands and sells the tickets etc. Bristol Sport is therefore guaranteed a set amount (guesstimate £500,000) whether 32,000 or 32 people turn up.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Saw Alan Curbishley at Avon Gorge.

oops wrong thread.

Saw Curbishley at the Colton Hall. His set included:

This Old House

A House is not a Home.

House of the Rising Sun

Our House

House of the King

Not in my House

This House is on Fire

This is the House

14 hours ago, Up The City! said:

The thing is, if you go and see Queen, or Rod Stewart etc you dont go to listen to their new material, I think Brian May said something along these lines recently? 

Same with the Killers, I wont be going to listen to their new stuff, I'll be going to listen to their classics. 

Typical Bristol attitude. People complain nothing gets built in Bristol, when a planning allocation gets put in, people then complain about that.

Now seems that has carried over to music. People used to complain that Bristol never had a venue that could host these huge concerts, they would stare at cities with envy that did have a venue to host these concerts. Now we ourselves have that venue and are starting to attract world class acts (which then helps us attract even bigger acts in the future) people like yourself then say well yes we want these big gigs, but not these big gigs, someone different that no one has heard of just some can be different. Let's not make any money just so we can stand out from the crowd due to be different. 

I dont have a clue who any of the bands you mention are save from one or two, probably know one or two of their songs if I heard them but that's about it, and I'm pretty into my music.

Whilst the likes of the Spice girls, take that and now the killers sell out time and time again then there is absolutely no reason to take a risk and try something different is there? 

The fact these concerts easily sell out,  suggest there is a huge appetite for these acts and your in a minority with your opinion.

Bristol has been off of the promoters radars since forever. Attracting these bands to AG should be viewed as a good thing, once the basketball arena is built we will then likely be able to attract the smaller gigs all year round to perform there due to the contacts we are making, Bristol will be viewed as a serious place for live music gigs. 

Bristol let's itself down big time, we are blessed to have huge open spaces like the downs and Ashton Court, blaise castle etc. They should be utilized for these huge outdoor concerts you see in other Cities. I know the downs do things now but it's not like a Ed Sheeran that would sell the downs out is it? 

Bristol is also ideally placed to attract people as bar Cardiff there is nothing else around. We need to stop being a backwards City and not wanting anything to change and embrace these sort of things and look at what other opportunities are possible. When you have all these people coming into a City for these concerts, spending money in the City then that means more investment happens in the City, things like a tram system then becomes a realistic possibility. 

Exactly...........the vast majority of promoters are interested in one thing.(well 2).......and it's not the quality of the music,............ it's about broad appeal and money.?

15 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Apologies, Pixies were one act down from headliners on the Other Stage in 2014 and that stage was rammed for them. They still have a massive following in European countries. Maybe even bigger than the likes of Radiohead etc. That's certainly the feeling I've had from going to festivals abroad over the years. You can also add Depeche Mode to that too. Without doubt they are more loved in Europe than the UK.

You say your opinion is based off of record sales and discographies and contradicted yourself by saying Rod Stewart struggled to sell out and hes sold more than most over a lot longer period.

The point I was trying to make was and is, popularity amongst the masses is all well and good, but it isn't the be all and end all of what makes good music and I have no doubt that we could and should as a music venue be more adventurous with the acts we book.

Great musicians/bands will always appeal and have more longevity than nostalgia acts like Spice Girls or Take That.

While I'm no big fan of Take That, there's no way you can call them a Nostalgia act. They're one of the biggest bands in Britain. 

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

They will always appeal, but they will to a minority. Hence why the spice girls and take that can still sell out 40k arenas whilst the acts you mentioned are now struggling to sell out 3.5k venues....

As I said earlier, Bristol Sport will only bring in acts that will sell out Ashton Gate, none of the ones you’ve mentioned would 

I would bet good money at least one of them would. I would guess Foals would a sell out or close to a sell out, excellent band live imo. I went and seen them in Luxembourg and they were awesome.

It is no good basing predicted tickets sales on record sales, when Rod Stewarts record sales are highest and never sold out, kind of defeats your argument. Also I fail to see how having the main songwriter performing is the same as having the whole band playing. Kasabian would sell out AG, but Serge or Tom on their own certainly wouldn't.

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Bristol Sport does not book the bands. It hires out the stadium to the promoter, who then books the bands and sells the tickets etc. Bristol Sport is therefore guaranteed a set amount (guesstimate £500,000) whether 32,000 or 32 people turn up.

I would be interested to know what the arrangement is.

It appears we retain the hospitality rights, is that instead of them paying us a set fee or on top of a fee? Or do the promoters take a cut of that?

Who pays for the staff? What about alcohol and food sales? What about all the event management costs such as busses, insurance and all that?

I dont think it's as simple as we just hire out the stadium to the promoters. 

I'm sure it is not that simple and there is more to it particularly re catering and hospitality. My point was regarding booking bands etc which some people seem to think is down to Bristol Sport.

The promoter definitely takes all the risks. He pays for the venue, pays the band / security etc and sells the tickets. Any loss on ticket sales is a 'hit' for the promoter.

The promoter would pay insurance in case of cancellation.

Bristol Sport should take out insurance (annually ?) against loss of revenue from parking / concessions and merchandise should an event be cancelled.

38 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I would bet good money at least one of them would. I would guess Foals would a sell out or close to a sell out, excellent band live imo. I went and seen them in Luxembourg and they were awesome.

It is no good basing predicted tickets sales on record sales, when Rod Stewarts record sales are highest and never sold out, kind of defeats your argument. Also I fail to see how having the main songwriter performing is the same as having the whole band playing. Kasabian would sell out AG, but Serge or Tom on their own certainly wouldn't.

They wouldn’t no, but they’d certainly be selling out venues over 3.5k. 

None of the acts mentioned would sell out as they don’t have the draw. The foals are playing in Olympia in London in may, a venue that can reach 10k. Therefore they obviously see that as their target capacity, not a 35k arena 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

They wouldn’t no, but they’d certainly be selling out venues over 3.5k. 

None of the acts mentioned would sell out as they don’t have the draw. The foals are playing in Olympia in London in may, a venue that can reach 10k. Therefore they obviously see that as their target capacity, not a 35k arena 

Maybe they would, and maybe they wouldn't. But it still doesn't compare to the band playing so makes no relevant point at all towards the whole band (who have a huge following) playing a larger stadium. 

Kasabian would sell AG out, but I seen them a few years ago in Swindon Oasis. It doesn't mean that their target is 1500 capacity (or whatever that holds). I also seen them down the 02 (2500) and in the NEC (16000) which all sold out. I think you are just seeing things too literally.

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You do realise that whoever books the acts needs to book gigs that will sell out, yeah..?!

Spice Girls = sold out

Take That = sold out

Killers = Will sell out. 

Doing a very good job, even if it doesn’t suit your particular music taste. 

It is not strictly true. 

A flat fee is paid for venue. The bands are paid flexible sums v their demands/market value. Profit can therefore be higher for a band that does not sell out. There are also hidden costs - some bands need extra security due to the demographic of fan base. 

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

Maybe they would, and maybe they wouldn't. But it still doesn't compare to the band playing so makes no relevant point at all towards the whole band (who have a huge following) playing a larger stadium. 

Kasabian would sell AG out, but I seen them a few years ago in Swindon Oasis. It doesn't mean that their target is 1500 capacity (or whatever that holds). I also seen them down the 02 (2500) and in the NEC (16000) which all sold out. I think you are just seeing things too literally.

Maybe it doesn’t, but the fact that all the venues they’re playing at are 10k and under says to me that that’s what they’re targeting. If they felt they could sell bigger venues they’d go to bigger venues surely?

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Coldplay could be announced, as they are also bring out an album soon. Or would they go Principality Stadium? 

There are no plans to tour this album. they are doing three live gigs, they have announced one, at the Natural history museum in London early December

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

There are no plans to tour this album. they are doing three live gigs, they have announced one, at the Natural history museum in London early December

Cheers, didn’t they do something similar with the album before last only do a few gigs. My wife will be gutted she thinks she’s Mrs Brightside and also loves Coldplay  

Archived