IGNORED

BBC All-time England XI

SecretSam

20 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

To commemorate England teaching 1,000 games, they let fans choose an all-time XI. I'm not even going to comment on the final XI, but who would be in your team?

Ive seen the team, which tends to reflect the fact that football only started in 1993!

An almost impossible task as players like Duncan Edwards and Tom Finney were regarded as peerless in their time but are unknown modern generations. 

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ive seen the team, which tends to reflect the fact that football only started in 1993!

An almost impossible task as players like Duncan Edwards and Tom Finney were regarded as peerless in their time but are unknown modern generations. 

Edwards only played 18 games for England before Munich ended his life too soon, so I think it’s only fair that other players who played more games are picked. 

I’d have had Rooney in there over Shearer and Terry over Ferdinand 

Not a bad stab at an almost impossible task. It includes our best ever keeper (Banks), best ever captain and defender (Moore) and the best midfielder England ever had (Charlton) but there's no one in midfield who can be called a tackler.Put Lampard or Bryan Robson in for Gazza and you might have a team. 

It's impossible to do a best England players team, simply because most will never have heard of or seen those from the distant past.

I did, from end of Second War, so will suggest.

Billy Wright, Tom Finney, Geoff Hurst, Duncan Edwards, Sir Stanley Matthews, Jackie Milburn, Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore.

I could go on but don't have the time. All of the above would be permanent selections in any modern International side.

I’m sure we’d all have different opinions on England’s best ever 11. So many greats over the decades, so many that I would select just a few in no particular position.

Banks, Moore, Charlton, Robson, Gaza, Greaves, Shearer, Ashley Cole, Mathews, Lineker, Beardsley.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure we’d all have different opinions on England’s best ever 11. So many greats over the decades, so many that I would select just a few in no particular position.

Banks, Moore, Charlton, Robson, Gaza, Greaves, Shearer, Ashley Cole, Mathews, Lineker, Beardsley.

Robbo, I think you would have put Banks in goal!

I was surprised that you picked Matthews. I didn't know Lee played for England.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Banks

Neville - Moore - Butcher - Ashley Cole

Hoddle - Charlton - Robson

Gazza

Lineker - Greaves

I like it, picking Taylor Moore on England youth appearances :thumbsup:

Archived