IGNORED

Thoughts on this?

tommydla

Just now, tommydla said:

Think he's class in that CM role, I really rate him

Agree O'Dowda is class. Not sure he's a level above Afobe though. Hard to really say what one goes where. Maenpaa was outstanding last season, so good seems a bit harsh. Korey when fit is top quality. I don't think Hunt is better than Pereira.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fam’s level is frankly ridiculous, he’s the best striker at the club. 

You may well be right that Fam is the best striker at the club but, if you are, it illustrates the urgent need to sign another striker in the January window 

5 minutes ago, tommydla said:

Weimann is levels above the majority of the squad

If he was then why is he our player in his peak years?

If Weimann was out injured all season and not Afobe, then I expect we don't have problems up front we do now.

Weimann is a very good team player, but his ability on the ball is a bit overrated by some imo. And he is neither very strong or very quick. 

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Where's the 'rubbish' category?  I know we've got a fantastic squad, but surely there's a few who would still fall into our turd pile?

And for what it's worth, I would put Watkins in there!

On another point, surely Massengo should be higher?

Harsh having Watkins in turd pile. 2 good performances in last 2. Helped massively in wins against Blackburn and Sheffield Utd last season.

I still do not really understand the stick he gets. He seems like a decent versatile championship player to me.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Because we are lucky!

If Weimann was out injured all season and not Afobe, then I expect we don't have problems up front we do now.

Who knows!

Weimann is a very good team player, but his ability on the ball is a bit overrated by some imo. And he is neither very strong or very quick. 

So he’s overrated on the ball not strong or quick!

He’s decent in all those areas which is why he always plays. His all around ability is excellent and he is constantly moving and making himself a target. For a couple of million the bloke was a steal. IMO and I suspect LJs 

3 minutes ago, tommydla said:

Have you seen the last few games? He's been a revelation since playing centrally

I think the issue is/could be with some that people expect ODowda to be waltzing down the wing beating players and when he’s playing centrally displaying other attributes they get overlooked. 

I think he’s done well lately and I’m reasonably confident LJ thinks he has too. 

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Yep he is good. But my point is a fully fit Afobe is better.

If it were Afobe that stayed fit and Weimann were injured then we could simply play Afobe up top with Palmer behind.

Afobe has the pace and power to do that role. Plus Afobe is a goalscorer.

16 minutes ago, tommydla said:

Have you seen the last few games? He's been a revelation since playing centrally

I think the last couple he’s been ok. But that’s his issue, like the Norwich solo goal. Do well for a very short period of time and then go missing for an age. He’s got a lot more to do to win me over. 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep he is good. But my point is a fully fit Afobe is better.

If it were Afobe that stayed fit and Weimann were injured then we could simply play Afobe up top with Palmer behind.

Afobe has the pace and power to do that role. Plus Afobe is a goalscorer.

Afobe is a big miss. Of that there is no doubt. But they are not a direct comparison. Some of Afobe best work was done on the basis of Weimanns running nous and reading. They were just forming a really decent partnership. 

I guess I may agree if the foot ball gods said your choice is miss Weimann or Afobe for a season. But there we are unfortunately the football gods kicked Us in the knee caps again. 

Andi Weimann is a very good player and we are lucky to have him. IMO we are very close to being a top two team. 

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Afobe is a big miss. Of that there is no doubt. But they are not a direct comparison. Some of Afobe best work was done on the basis of Weimanns running nous and reading. They were just forming a really decent partnership. 

I guess I may agree if the foot ball gods said your choice is miss Weimann or Afobe for a season. But there we are unfortunately the football gods kicked Us in the knee caps again. 

Andi Weimann is a very good player and we are lucky to have him. IMO we are very close to being a top two team. 

Agree with this. If we were looking to see where we’d improve to get in the top six I don’t think Weimann would be near the top of the list of needing an upgrade personally.

As for Fam vs Afobe, there’s only one winner. And Baker deserves to be in the very good category based on this season for me.

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I disagree.  The son of Austrian sprinters (his mum an international), they’ve definitely passed on their genes.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-hurdles-dont-worry-180441

I think he is quick with and without the ball.  He gets to top speed with the ball very quickly.

The rest of the post is all very subjective.  What’s the benchmark?

Archived