IGNORED

England v Montenegro

Super

1 minute ago, North London Red said:

I’ve heard Gary Neville, Owen Hargreaves, Peter Crouch and Alan Thompson all get booed in an England shirt. 

Beckham yes understand but not the others. Remember world cups where he made some silly play.

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Completely agree re Henderson, just don’t get him. The tempo Winks played at was excellent, regardless of the opposition. However I think Maguire is limited, especially against players with good movement. Pickford I hope will calm down a bit, but is agile and decent playing out.

Interesting this, many people don't seem to get Henderson. Yet he is captain of the club that won the Champions League last season and the club that is 8 points clear, after only 12 games, at the top of the Premier League this season!

Maybe it's the players around him with England that aren't as good compared to those at Liverpool? Or Klopp knows how to get more out of him than Southgate?

Just now, City oz said:

Beckham yes understand but not the others. Remember world cups where he made some silly play.

Neville was booed at Anfield (England v Uruguay, 2006). 

Thompson was booed in Gothenburg in 2004. 

Crouch was booed at Old Trafford a few times around 2005-06. 

Hargreaves was booed in multiple places. 

4 minutes ago, Moulin Rougier said:

Interesting this, many people don't seem to get Henderson. Yet he is captain of the club that won the Champions League last season and the club that is 8 points clear, after only 12 games, at the top of the Premier League this season!

Maybe it's the players around him with England that aren't as good compared to those at Liverpool? Or Klopp knows how to get more out of him than Southgate?

There are a pretty long list of hugely underrated England players over the years. Henderson might be the most underrated by fans.  Hargreaves, Milner, Carrick and Scholes are others. All midfielders. I think the work of a midfielder is a bit more nuanced than all other positions so a lot of things go unnoticed.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

XExpected? You think it’s expected behaviour to be booed for having been assaulted by a colleague?

In what possible way is that expected? 

You seem very keen to lay the blame for the whole situation anywhere but at the actual cause. 

The fact that 99.9% of people find the reaction utterly moronic suggests that it’s anything but the expected reaction. 

I think your 99% is an opinion.

It is a fact that fans and people who spent lives in the game disagreed with Mr Southgate, and fans have displayed their displeasure at Wembley.

You seem keen to avoid considering the obvious psychology present above. Human behaviours can be predicted and expected. You may consider that moronic, but the behaviour of a small section of a crowd was utterly predictable. 

Could the Managers actions have contributed? Could he have chosen to act differently? The answer is yes. 

Thinking there would be no response is naive even at sedate Wembley.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

We're you there as a fan or in a work capacity?  For what it's worth I always appreciate your input on OTIB.

As a fan with my family, celebrating a “ special birthday” ( unfortunately for me ) 

had a very proud moment when the Bristol city flag was hanging from the top tier above my head !! 

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I think your 99% is an opinion.

It is a fact that fans and people who spent lives in the game disagreed with Mr Southgate, and fans have displayed their displeasure at Wembley.

You seem keen to avoid considering the obvious psychology present above. Human behaviours can be predicted and expected. You may consider that moronic, but the behaviour of a small section of a crowd was utterly predictable. 

Could the Managers actions have contributed? Could he have chosen to act differently? The answer is yes. 

Thinking there would be no response is naive even at sedate Wembley.

It’s deduction based on the proportion of people who have slammed the reaction of the minority vs those condoning it. 

The vast, vast majority from what I can gather agree that Southgate handled the matter very well and that the reaction to Gomez from the small minority was utterly pathetic. 

14 minutes ago, JulieH said:

As a fan with my family, celebrating a “ special birthday” ( unfortunately for me ) 

had a very proud moment when the Bristol city flag was hanging from the top tier above my head !! 

Happy 21st Julie!

37 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s deduction based on the proportion of people who have slammed the reaction of the minority vs those condoning it. 

The vast, vast majority from what I can gather agree that Southgate handled the matter very well and that the reaction to Gomez from the small minority was utterly pathetic. 

I'm not sure Southgate handled it that well but the reaction (from those who actually meant it) is pathetic as you say.

8 hours ago, Super said:

What exactly don't you get about him?

I think he is ponderous in possession, doesn't score many and isn't much of a defensive midfield playmaker. He does run around a lot though. In short he is the epitome of what some British fans like but not what they need!

And yes he looks better with good players around him, but who wouldn't. He's like a modern day Gerrard but not as good! And IMO Gerard was very overrated!

clearly I know more than Klopp! ?

20 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Question for someone - who was the last former City player to score for England, before Tammy?

Andy Cole?

Last City player to score for England before Tammy was Kalas.  :)

9 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Completely agree re Henderson, just don’t get him. The tempo Winks played at was excellent, regardless of the opposition. However I think Maguire is limited, especially against players with good movement. Pickford I hope will calm down a bit, but is agile and decent playing out.

Yet Klopp seems happy with him in what is possibly the quickest attacking team around at the moment.

7 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

There were obviously people doing it genuinely but some of the booing was fans being ironic. Make your own mind up if you think that is funny or not...

Whole thing should now be forgotten and concentrate on Euros (bet you it won't though).

That’s right. There were a couple of blokes in front of me that started booing when they heard others doing it but they were doing it in a jokey, pantomime way. I can only assume there was a lot of that in that moment but the net effect of it was embarrassing to hear. That said, There were far more of us clapping but it’s the boos that come across.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

.......born some time in the future!  :(

No. It's a cold, windy night and Lithuania are camped back in their own penalty box..

Dan Bentley brings the ball out, coming further and further up field

Hang on a minute, shall I try a pop , he thinks

8-0

England fans: Boooooooooooooooo

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:30, BRISTOL86 said:

That was possibly an admission that your post was not factual.

In another thread you asserted that the Manager had done the right thing and was a good man Manager.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 13:03, BRISTOL86 said:

The human impact that the action of morons has

It does not matter what your perception of those fans is. The reaction of a section of the crowd was utterly predictable. This reaction was fuelled by the Manager making an internal issue public.

Joe Gomez was put into a position he had no control over at the choice of his National Manager.

This is not the outcome of good man management. 

14 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That was possibly an admission that your post was not factual.

In another thread you asserted that the Manager had done the right thing and was a good man Manager.

It does not matter what your perception of those fans is. The reaction of a section of the crowd was utterly predictable. This reaction was fuelled by the Manager making an internal issue public.

Joe Gomez was put into a position he had no control over at the choice of his National Manager.

This is not the outcome of good man management. 

How much was fuelled by inter club rivalry?

Even on this forum , the minute any issues are discussed involving Liverpool it seems to bring a load of "haters" out of the woodwork, so it would not be a surprise that Gomez's involvement        ( even though it seems he was the innocent victim of Sterling's alleged assault) would bring the same degree of hostility from England "fans", who let club allegiance dictate their feelings.

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

How much was fuelled by inter club rivalry?

Even on this forum , the minute any issues are discussed involving Liverpool it seems to bring a load of "haters" out of the woodwork, so it would not be a surprise that Gomez's involvement        ( even though it seems he was the innocent victim of Sterling's alleged assault) would bring the same degree of hostility from England "fans", who let club allegiance dictate their feelings.

Some will want to see the best on the pitch. Some will see it as wrong. Some are sheep like. We as humans take sides naturally and sometimes illogically. But these behaviours are predictable. There is no surprise.

Burying a head in the sand and ignoring what you can predict will happen is not good management. The player (victim) should have been prepared to expect to experience some negativity. Negativity he would have no control over. This effort would help to reframe his own thoughts = non- controllables are more easily processed and understood = His own emotions would/should be more under control. You plan for what you expect and know will happen..

Better still .. Keep it in house. 

On 15/11/2019 at 19:19, steveybadger said:

I think he is ponderous in possession, doesn't score many and isn't much of a defensive midfield playmaker. He does run around a lot though. In short he is the epitome of what some British fans like but not what they need!

And yes he looks better with good players around him, but who wouldn't. He's like a modern day Gerrard but not as good! And IMO Gerard was very overrated!

clearly I know more than Klopp! ?

That is part of the problem, comparing him to Gerrard.  He’s a totally different player.  He’s had to change his game from the young, attacking midfielder given freedom in a Sunderland side, to initially having to play as a defensive / holding midfielder (which was not his game, initially) when he moved to Liverpool, to a key cog in a non-expansive midfield 3 (normally right side of centre), where he is expected to feed the front 3, allow his RB to create overloads, and win the ball back.

His game isn’t based on getting goals, nor does Klopp want him to...any he gets are a bonus.  He has improved in his passing forwards rather than sideways, a previous criticism.

He is vital to Klopp’s Gegenpress.

For England, again the Gerrard comparison’s haven’t helped, but against better opponents he plays a key role in getting the ball back.  He keeps the ball ticking over.  But I would say if you play him with a DM like Dier or Rice (he’s got to do a lot to convince me he should be in the England team at this early stage of his career), then we do become a bit ponderous.  Is that a Henderson’s fault?  More a team selection fault imho.

Not seen anything in Winks for spurs, but imho he is better for England.  Pair him with a Henderson, or Dier or Rice and you have better balance.

On 15/11/2019 at 10:41, RedDave said:

From memory the players booed over the years are

John Barnes
David Beckham
Sol Campbell 
Ashley Cole
Raheem Sterling 
Joe Gomez

Anyone got any more?  Interesting that five out of the six are black. 

David Bentley got booed at Wembley after refusing to play for the under 21s I think.

Archived