IGNORED

PC’s - Black Friday deals.

Tipps69

Anyone clued up on where’s best to get a new PC from? My PC is probably over 10 years old & struggles to play most games now. I’m not a big gamer but would appreciate it if it could at least be able to run Football Manager & a few other games just to pass the time & just do the basics of a PC.

I’m a million miles away from being a ‘techy’ so any shoves in the right direction would be appreciated.

Also, would it also be advisable to get a PS4 / Xbox just to generally game on or should I just stick to using the PC for that as well? I’m not interested in playing online multiplayer games, much prefer single player games rather than being shown up by 10 year-olds!

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Anyone clued up on where’s best to get a new PC from? My PC is probably over 10 years old & struggles to play most games now. I’m not a big gamer but would appreciate it if it could at least be able to run Football Manager & a few other games just to pass the time & just do the basics of a PC.

I’m a million miles away from being a ‘techy’ so any shoves in the right direction would be appreciated.

Also, would it also be advisable to get a PS4 / Xbox just to generally game on or should I just stick to using the PC for that as well? I’m not interested in playing online multiplayer games, much prefer single player games rather than being shown up by 10 year-olds!

If you have a PC i wouldn't bother with a console. New consoles will be out next year so i would just put that money towards a better graphics card.

Black Friday deals are pretty weak usually, you might find the odd gem.

With PCs it's all about what you want to be able to do with it, for how long vs your budget.

Best value is to build one yourself which used to be fairly daunting but these days is reasonably straightforward.

If you already have peripherals - monitor, mouse, keyboard etc - you can probably put together a good mid range gaming system for £600ish. 

PCPartPicker is a really useful site where people share their builds and you can find the best prices. 

Here's an example.

The retailers that sell the parts often have an assembly service.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Black Friday deals are pretty weak usually, you might find the odd gem.

With PCs it's all about what you want to be able to do with it, for how long vs your budget.

Best value is to build one yourself which used to be fairly daunting but these days is reasonably straightforward.

If you already have peripherals - monitor, mouse, keyboard etc - you can probably put together a good mid range gaming system for £600ish. 

PCPartPicker is a really useful site where people share their builds and you can find the best prices. 

Here's an example.

The retailers that sell the parts often have an assembly service.

Which is great but when I look at sites like that, they may as well be talking cling-on to me?

I basically want something that I can do all the average stuff a PC does (email, Internet, store music & files / folders) & play a few games (Football Manager, COD & mainly sports games).

I could possibly do with a new monitor & a new keyboard but it’s the actual PC I need upgrading. Would an option be to take my old unit into my local PC repair shop & just ask them to upgrade everything, should that be cheaper? Rather than buying everything new?

My current PC runs & downloads music & films fine but just won’t let me play the games now & as it’s so old I just thought I may as well just get an upgrade. As a budget, around £1000 would be fine.

16 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Which is great but when I look at sites like that, they may as well be talking cling-on to me?

I basically want something that I can do all the average stuff a PC does (email, Internet, store music & files / folders) & play a few games (Football Manager, COD & mainly sports games).

I could possibly do with a new monitor & a new keyboard but it’s the actual PC I need upgrading. Would an option be to take my old unit into my local PC repair shop & just ask them to upgrade everything, should that be cheaper? Rather than buying everything new?

My current PC runs & downloads music & films fine but just won’t let me play the games now & as it’s so old I just thought I may as well just get an upgrade. As a budget, around £1000 would be fine.

You could go into a repair shop and get some help, depends really on how honest they are as someone unscrupulous could overprice stuff if they realise you're not entirely sure about what you're buying. 

Something like this would probably keep you able to run brand new games well for the next five years or so and generally will still be working usably in 8-10 years:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-citizen-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-5-2600-rx-590-8gb-graphics-fs-1aq-og.html#p=bCla393ybClb3$X.bCle36;WbClg338?bClh338ubCli3392

A few quid left over for a monitor, you can get decent 24" ones from iiyama and asus for about £100 now.

19 minutes ago, Nibor said:

You could go into a repair shop and get some help, depends really on how honest they are as someone unscrupulous could overprice stuff if they realise you're not entirely sure about what you're buying. 

Something like this would probably keep you able to run brand new games well for the next five years or so and generally will still be working usably in 8-10 years:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-citizen-gaming-pc-amd-ryzen-5-2600-rx-590-8gb-graphics-fs-1aq-og.html#p=bCla393ybClb3$X.bCle36;WbClg338?bClh338ubCli3392

A few quid left over for a monitor, you can get decent 24" ones from iiyama and asus for about £100 now.

And that’s a good deal for what it is @Nibor?

13 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think so, buying individual bits and putting it together yourself would come in about £800.

You would be able to run games like CoD 4 comfortably. 

Probably best to get a second opinion or two though.

I’ll wait to see if anyone comments on here then. Thanks

8 hours ago, Smokey said:

If you have a PC i wouldn't bother with a console. New consoles will be out next year so i would just put that money towards a better graphics card.

Yep no point buying a new console when the next generation consoles come out in a year. My TV recently went bust so I've just upgraded to one of those all singing all dancing 4k TVs and whilst the PS4 looks much better on it I know it would look even better if I upgraded to a PS4 Pro but I'm very reluctant to do so with the ps5 coming in a years time. May aswell save my dosh towards that. 

This time next year will be a great time for someone to buy a ps4/pro if they are not worried about having the latest console. 

14 hours ago, Nibor said:

Just don’t take it to any repair shop in Henbury 

Archived