IGNORED

City’s international players.

Tipps69

6 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

If Ashley Williams and nagy both play next week, would that be the first time 2 current city players have played against each other in an international game? Can't think of any other occasions? 

In the modern game you might be right, the best chance of it happening would have been in the old Home Internationals. I did wonder if Maggers played against anyone of our players though?

I thought Derek Williams being subbed by Callum  was another one of those odd quiz questions that might come up in future.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In the modern game you might be right, the best chance of it happening would have been in the old Home Internationals. I did wonder if Maggers played against anyone of our players though?

I thought Derek Williams being subbed by Callum  was another one of those odd quiz questions that might come up in future.

Bailey Wright in a friendly maybe?

1 hour ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

If Ashley Williams and nagy both play next week, would that be the first time 2 current city players have played against each other in an international game? Can't think of any other occasions? 

Tommy Doherty and Dave Partridge both played against England (for Northern Ireland and Wales respectively) during qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. But as far as I can see they didn’t play against each other when Wales played Northern Ireland. 

Will continue looking / thinking as I reckon it must have happened at some point (aside from the other examples given above). 

16 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Tommy Doherty and Dave Partridge both played against England (for Northern Ireland and Wales respectively) during qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. But as far as I can see they didn’t play against each other when Wales played Northern Ireland. 

Will continue looking / thinking as I reckon it must have happened at some point (aside from the other examples given above). 

I checked Nick Carle's record for Aus - I thought he my have played against someone in some sort of friendly. No joy though.

Adomah played for Ghana a few times when with us - but at a time when we had few internationals. 

2 hours ago, Sarumred said:

I seem to remember that John Atyeo played for England against the Republic of Ireland in the late 1950's and Dermot Curtis, who was with city for s short spell played for the ROI.

Yep, 1958 World Cup Qualifier. Big John got two goals and Dermott got one in a 5-2 England win. Man Utd centre forward Tommy Taylor got the other three for England but shortly after was lost in the Munich air disaster.

2 hours ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

John Atyeo for England and Dermot Curtis for Republic of Ireland in two World Cup Qualifying matches in 1957-58 season.

Atyeo scored two goals and Curtis one in the 5-1 England win at Wembley. In the second leg, Atyeo's equaliser sent England to finals in Sweden. 

PS. Just saw other reply above.

14 hours ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Don’t forget Joe Morrell too.  He’s got a good chance of getting some gametime with Joe Allen suspended.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Great to see Morrell start.

But Lockyer starting over Ashley Williams ? Thats a load of bollocks and could bite them on the arse.

Lockyer has played a bit recently, and Giggs seems to pick a bit on how they played, rather than just because Williams has lots of caps.  Same in the case of Ramsey, would’ve been easy to bring him in because of who he is, but he’s barely played this season.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Late injury to someone then? He was shown as a sub on the BBC website an hour ago. I think they have got a bit of a bug going through the squad though so that might be it.

Might watch it now!

It must’ve been a mistake on the website.  Morrell was told yesterday he was starting.  Giggs really likes him.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Joe Morrell having a fantastic for Wales so far!  Mystifying how he can play alongside Bale and James, but not be good enough for us.

Not really mystifying. He was loaned out to get regular games and its obviously benefitting him greatly. Hopefully he will do enough at Lincoln to be able to come back and compete in our midfield.

Archived