IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

A friend of mine who has told me a couple of things, notably about Semenyo coming back from Newport and Afobi having a decent chance of being back before the seasons end, both of which I posted here in advance of it being public, tells me City are bracing themselves for big bids for Brownhill in January.

I guess you could guess that, maybe, but what realistically is he worth and do we have the players already here to replace him!? Or Where would City look?

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Be looking at 12m or more I’d think. Possibly can fund a striker and we can make it through with Massengo, Smith, Nagy, Rowe, COD and Palmer. 

Not saying I’d sell. Just that is gives you something to think about

That goal at Cardiff will have stuck a million on whatever we had in mind before the game. How long`s he got left on his contract?

41 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A friend of mine who has told me a couple of things, notably about Semenyo coming back from Newport and Afobi having a decent chance of being back before the seasons end, both of which I posted here in advance of it being public, tells me City are bracing themselves for big bids for Brownhill in January.

I guess you could guess that, maybe, but what realistically is he worth and do we have the players already here to replace him!? Or Where would City look?

We`d be a bit naïve if we weren`t at least giving some thought to what we would do if a bid was received. Personally, I think bids in the summer are more likely.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Be looking at 12m or more I’d think. Possibly can fund a striker and we can make it through with Massengo, Smith, Nagy, Rowe, COD and Palmer. 

Not saying I’d sell. Just that is gives you something to think about

I’m the same. Would not want to sell but the word on the street is more than one Premier League Club. The price is key and personally I would put Brownhill at a much higher value than yours. Then how do you spend the wedge. 

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That goal at Cardiff will have stuck a million on whatever we had in mind before the game. How long`s he got left on his contract?

We`d be a bit naïve if we weren`t at least giving some thought to what we would do if a bid was received. Personally, I think bids in the summer are more likely.

Yes tv goals always help. Without looking it up i think he’s good for 18 months. Which puts him in new deal territory.

naive indeed if City were not contemplating a bid/s. I think the key is LJ dropping little hints in interviews about January and what outgoing he may have to deal with. Brownhill looks like the obvious one that could be discussed just on that alone.

Also the player himself. EG. If Norwich came in, would it be worth going, however if it were Villa or Everton could he want to leave?...

Bomber Brownhill scores some spectacular goals which , as has been noted , will have increased his value .

The lad is class. 

However , unless we are poised to go up this season, it would be hard for the player and the club to resist Prem interest with all  their riches .

I would hope that we can hold off until the Summer but money talks .

If selling JB meant we could bring in a replacement for Afobe then I think he will go . 

That is the reality of our predicament without parachute payments to help us .

Josh seems like a level headed lad going by that interview on RB. He came across as very sensible and realises he`s very lucky to be doing what he`s doing and being very well rewarded for it. I did think I detected a slight element of him missing the north and his family a little bit though so I think if the right club from up that way came in maybe his head might be turned. He might not be interested in say, Brighton or Norwich but if Everton or Sheffield United for instance were interested...………………………..

Or if Preston got promoted...……………….

Would be a real blow to lose him mid season as he is one of our key players.

That being said if an offer came in from a Prem club in the north west I think he would find it difficult to turn down. The recent interview showed him living alone with his missus still living up north that could have a huge bearing on what happens.

Sheffield United would be likely candidates.

I just don’t see it happening in January. Not because of a lack of ability, but more around logistics.

We ain’t selling Josh for less than £10-15m

If a side are pushing to go up, that money goes on a striker

if a side want to stay up, no way they’re buying an untested midfielder for big money 

In the summer, Josh has 1 year left on his deal. Why buy in Jan if you’re in either of those boats with a likely reduction in Price in six months?

Think the club would take 8 with couple mill Addons for him if it was a big champ club or premier league side.

He isnt a defensive midfielder, he isnt an attacking midfielder but hes a jack of all trades and they havent got that premium like a number 10 like midfielder would get.

His age and the English premium might push that price up a bit.

I'm thinking more 20 odd million. Maybe it depends who is interested. I can imagine Burnley signing Josh and playing him wide right.

I'm beginning to think that kind of role is where we should be playing him. But then we seem to be sticking with 352.

Whatever happens, I believe we need to get him forward more. We have Nagy and Korey as natural sitters. Let's get Brownhill in the box. Get him in shooting positions and he will score goals. I can't confidently say that about anyone else at the moment in our squad.

If we have realistic ambitions of getting promoted then he simply doesn’t move on in January! Yes Nagy is back & Smith isn’t far away but we simply can’t carry on operating with the bare minimum of numbers, let’s have some options rather than just having to play players because they are all we currently have available to us. Allow players the odd game rest every now & then.

As for JB not being a #10 or a DM, for the majority of his career here he’s had to fill in holes or for the majority of this season he’s had to act as ‘big brother’ to Massengo & he’s had to do what’s right for the team rather than his personal preference. He’s not a right-midfielder, as he’s stated in his interviews, playing that position when he joined us was his first ever time playing there & was down to necessity rather than it being a natural position for him.

He now has the opportunity as a first choice central-midfielder to show everyone what he can naturally do, he won’t be playing because Pack or Smith are unavailable or because we don’t have a right-midfielder, he will be playing on merit & now he will have the opportunity to play with natural holding midfielders so let’s really see what JB can do & with a central midfield 3 of Brownhill, Nagy & Smith or Massengo we can start to dominate teams.

We shouldn’t even be entertaining the idea of selling him in January!

9 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Think the club would take 8 with couple mill Addons for him if it was a big champ club or premier league side.

He isnt a defensive midfielder, he isnt an attacking midfielder but hes a jack of all trades and they havent got that premium like a number 10 like midfielder would get.

His age and the English premium might push that price up a bit.

He would not be sold to a championship club that’s for certain, especially as we are now up at the top competing.

secondly, £8million?? Shall we roll over and let them tickle our belly as well?

Good thing is if we sell for say 20 million, and maybe get a fair bit for Wright, Baker, Pato and Taylor, and even add Diedhiou to that list, that surely adds it up to 30m overall. And we won't need to replace Brownhill as we have Morrell. So a very good transfer kitty to bring in other positions, mainly strikers. So selling one of our best players again and possibly becoming stronger.

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I just don’t see it happening in January. Not because of a lack of ability, but more around logistics.

if a side want to stay up, no way they’re buying an untested midfielder for big money 

In the summer, Josh has 1 year left on his deal. Why buy in Jan if you’re in either of those boats with a likely reduction in Price in six months?

Would be very surprised to get to January and still see a Josh with his current contract.  Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s discussing a new deal at the mo’.

5 hours ago, RedRaw said:

He would not be sold to a championship club that’s for certain, especially as we are now up at the top competing.

If it was a west Brom or someone and brownhill really wanted to go then I wouldn't be shocked if it went through. Happened before. 

Love brownhill but if we were offered like 12 with 6-8 up front with addons we would probably take it in my opinion.

Edit: this isnt about January, but in the summer if we miss the top 6 - poor context from me - apologies.

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I reckon your rationale is pretty solid. I note since it came up in my conversation and I chucked up the original post The local press have jumped on the issue so I guess there is some legs.

I suppose from my perspective the only reason for a club to pay the money in January would be to grab a player from under the nose of another club. For example (although it wasn’t January) Bournemouth got Kelly when he was said to be going to Liverpool by making a big bid early, if there are multiple clubs interested the smaller club needs to do something that loads the dice their way.

Either way I guess we have quite an asset and its not a secret any more!!

42 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I reckon your rationale is pretty solid. I note since it came up in my conversation and I chucked up the original post The local press have jumped on the issue so I guess there is some legs.

They`ve probably just read it on here mate and decided to run a story based on your post.

It`s what they always do after all.

37 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Brownhill is our only centre midfielder with an eye for goal and who can keep the ball moving forward, get rid of him in January and we will be more or less accepting that we aren’t going for it this year. 

Interestingly, Morrell has just shown he can do both for Wales, so we may be considering him as a worthy replacement soon.

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

Interestingly, Morrell has just shown he can do both for Wales, so we may be considering him as a worthy replacement soon.

Plays in he Nagy position though, so not really a replacement for Brownhill? 

Nagy can move the ball forward but not from the same forward areas as Brownhill I mean? 

With Nagy being injured the last few month, loaning Morrell doesn’t seem like a great choice, considering they seem to be like for like (although it very much did it at the time!).

Seriously hope Morrell can be considered the back up to Nagy next season as learning off Adam could seriously aid his development, and leave us with 2 seriously good and dynamic CDMs, a definite upgrade from Pack. 

23 hours ago, RedRaw said:

If a Leeds or a West Brom come in for him I expect he will want to go.

Archived