IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

30 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

How would people feel if we sold Josh in January and that money was used on a top forward? 

It would be a loss but we could recall Morrell and add that forward and perhaps another forward on loan. For me, I’d be tempted if the bids were 12m+

51 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

How would people feel if we sold Josh in January and that money was used on a top forward? 

It would be a loss but we could recall Morrell and add that forward and perhaps another forward on loan. For me, I’d be tempted if the bids were 12m+

I would want 15m. Probably would be more like 12 though, maybe with add ons potentially making it more.

I feel we aren't getting the best out of him at the moment. I like him on the right, but that strike force of Fam and Weimann looked so poor link up the last 2 home games.

Get that forward line improved and the likes of Josh will play to their full potential. He is a top player at this level and I'd be surprised if he isn't a success in the prem at the right club.

Bring Morrell back and we look to improve our strikers.

Don't want to sell our best players in January when we are in with a shout of the play offs but keep showing his goals vs Charlton and Cardiff and his value will be closer to 12 million.

Stoke want 15 million for Joe Allan

Swansea paid 15 million for Sam Clucas (a couple of yrs ago)

Brownhill is as good if not better than either of them.

11 hours ago, scrumpy88 said:

We will struggle to get 12 million for him. He’s not consistent enough at the moment for the prem 

If there was a bid in for him I’d say it would be around 7/8 million mark 

Our financial position is strong, which puts us in the driving seat when it comes to setting a price.

Our negotiating is so strong in fact that we got as much from Brighton for a centre half as Brentford got for a striker.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Our financial position is strong, which puts us in the driving seat when it comes to setting a price.

Our negotiating is so strong in fact that we got as much from Brighton for a centre half as Brentford got for a striker.

I agree, I'd not expect us to let Brownhill go for less then £15m. If we can get that sort of money and invest in a goal scorer, combined with recalling Morell I'd be happy to see him go. 

7 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I agree, I'd not expect us to let Brownhill go for less then £15m. If we can get that sort of money and invest in a goal scorer, combined with recalling Morell I'd be happy to see him go. 

I agree mate...I really like the way Morell plays. I think its time he came back and became part of our midfield. He needs to get used to playing with the other players.

On 20/12/2019 at 14:56, JoeAman08 said:

That would be a good option as Morrell in my opinion would slot in nicely 

Add a couple of top quality forwards and the dynamic of the team looks very different 

40 minutes ago, INCRED said:

That would be a good option as Morrell in my opinion would slot in nicely 

Add a couple of top quality forwards and the dynamic of the team looks very different 

Think perhaps Morrell a better fit than JB as well next to Nagy or Massengo. Think Brownhill would succeed in a 433 but he is always asked to sit deeper than he likes. Morrell much more comfortable being a shield in front of defense. 

I think if we want playoffs and a chance in them, 2 forwards are vital. A Nketiah type who can poach goals and play on shoulder and maybe someone like Wickham who I think could pair anyone. 

On 20/12/2019 at 15:56, JonDolman said:

I would want 15m. Probably would be more like 12 though, maybe with add ons potentially making it more.

I feel we aren't getting the best out of him at the moment. I like him on the right, but that strike force of Fam and Weimann looked so poor link up the last 2 home games.

Get that forward line improved and the likes of Josh will play to their full potential. He is a top player at this level and I'd be surprised if he isn't a success in the prem at the right club.

Bring Morrell back and we look to improve our strikers.

On 20/12/2019 at 18:03, scrumpy88 said:

We will struggle to get 12 million for him. He’s not consistent enough at the moment for the prem 

If there was a bid in for him I’d say it would be around 7/8 million mark 

On 20/12/2019 at 21:12, Sir Geoff said:

Don't want to sell our best players in January when we are in with a shout of the play offs but keep showing his goals vs Charlton and Cardiff and his value will be closer to 12 million.

Stoke want 15 million for Joe Allan

Swansea paid 15 million for Sam Clucas (a couple of yrs ago)

Brownhill is as good if not better than either of them.

Factor in Mark Ashton's negotiating style/ability and we could get closer to £20m!

2 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

There is no doubt that Johnson and Ashton are itching to spunk away another load of Lansdownes spondoolies.........

Is the problem though even so much the players or a decent proportion of them, as LJ's tactics and other aspects of his management of them?

Starting to veer towards the latter! I've thought LJ has done fine for a good while, done well even but now I'm starting to wonder.

Plus, I've held doubts for a while about LJ and players from higher places, tactically.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is the problem though even so much the players or a decent proportion of them, as LJ's tactics and other aspects of his management of them?

Starting to veer towards the latter! I've thought LJ has done fine for a good while, done well even but now  I'm starting to wonder.

You can’t say LJ has done a poor job here. He has done fantastic to navigate the club to where it is through everything going on. 

It is ok to say that and question his recent tactics and whether he is getting the best out of this squad. Undoubtedly for me, this squad is underperforming. Not so much in the table but in the actual play of the team. I have said numerous times the performances are what are bothering. If a few more of our draws were split out between wins and losses and we were playing an exciting brand of football I don’t think there would be so much vitriol towards LJ. 

Hell I don’t remember too much of it towards LJ when we collapsed a couple seasons ago after the cup run. Ok we were comfortable for the first time from relegation but I think it was accepted that we wore down a bit and more depth would help this. We now have the depth but nowhere near the football. People want to watch good football I think and it makes losing that much more frustrating

With all the talk/twit/reports on players we are interested in, the players we have are being overlooked. Over Xmas I was told that several ENQUIRIES have been received about different players and that was at least part way responsible for LJs comments regarding reducing his squad. A couple of obvious loans being discussed. However its not just Brownhill that is attracting attention.

This has the makings of quite a window, but as one bloke said until the contracts are signed and registered (dig at Cardiff there) nothing is certain...Its really quite exciting!

8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Who else?

I was told Enquiries for several players not much on specifics and it was linked to the earlier LJ soundbite regarding the squad trimming per my earlier post.

So like others I would be guessing myself.

(But if I were to guess and I mean this bit is me talking without input but reading a bit between the lines Baker, Diehdou, Elliason, Moore, Palmer, Taylor, Bentley as well as the title of the thread. I guess its predictable as they have mostly done well recently, also this may play into targets and our dip in form.

As i said this could be an exciting few days/weeks with incoming and outgoing, but again clubs sounding each other out is part of the dance in January. Apparently.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I was told Enquiries for several players not much on specifics and it was linked to the earlier LJ soundbite regarding the squad trimming per my earlier post.

So like others I would be guessing myself.

(But if I were to guess and I mean this bit is me talking without input but reading a bit between the lines Baker, Diehdou, Elliason, Moore, Palmer, Taylor, Bentley as well as the title of the thread. I guess its predictable as they have mostly done well recently, also this may play into targets and our dip in form.

As i said this could be an exciting few days/weeks with incoming and outgoing, but again clubs sounding each other out is part of the dance in January. Apparently.

But an enquiry is basically "how much would you want for X", I would imagine all our regular starters would receive an enquiry from teams in the bottom 5 of the prem just to see where we are with them. If we said they could have Fam for a whole Tilson they would probably snap our hands off.

Brownhill is our best midfielder when it comes to attacking (if you consider Eliasson a winger), his technique, work rate and his ability to hit a shot would be massively missed. I think he's one of those midfielders you take for granted until they're gone and then you realise just how good he is/was. 

Unless Palmer can up his game or Sammie is given a chance and hits the ground running we'll really lose that central attacking option. I do wonder if this is why Patterson has been brought back, to give us a better attacking option from the midfielder should Brownhill go. 

So in summary, our recruitment team are pretty good but our head coach and staff seem unable to translate good individuals into an exciting confident effective and consistent  team within which players improve and prosper. Sounds about right to me...

and I would love LJ to prove otherwise coz he loves the club and leans very well but I just don’t buy use argument he is a top young coach... he seems to struggle to bring out the best on those available to him

1 minute ago, desert said:

So in summary, our recruitment team are pretty good but our head coach and staff seem unable to translate good individuals into an exciting confident effective and consistent  team within which players improve and prosper. Sounds about right to me...

and I would love LJ to prove otherwise coz he loves the club and leans very well but I just don’t buy use argument he is a top young coach... he seems to struggle to bring out the best on those available to him

He doesn’t lean well, he speaks well ?

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is a curious lack of attention to detail by The Guardian.

I doubt Brownhill, or for that matter Watkins and perhaps even more so in his case, would or could be classed as an 'inexpensive upgrade'.

There was also an article yesterday in the Times by Henry Winter, looking at the progress of last summer’s EnglandU21 team. In it he said Dasilva was (still) on loan from Chelsea. Just another example of lack of research.....

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

The Guardian suggests that Burnley are interested in Josh. I doubt they would meet our valuation though. He is certainly not an "inexpensive upgrade" as the article calls it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/31/january-transfer-window-2020-club-by-club-guide-for-the-premier-league

In Premiership terms though circa £10m is classed as ‘inexpensive’ these days - crazy as that is. And I can’t see him going for much more than that. Maybe £12m at a push.

Archived