IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

34 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Right now he's our best midfielder,so losing him would be a problem. Let's not forget that Nagy and Smith are not fully fit and Massengo is less experienced, so I'd sell Josh only if we could replace him with another reliable player who already knows the Championship. Replacing him with Morrell or Walsh would be a gamble.

Its all a gamble. Mitigating the gamble with an eye on the cost and what is required in other areas is the issue. 

what’s available to replace Brownhill like for like with the experience, etc etc etc at a cost that makes the move sensible?

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Its all a gamble. Mitigating the gamble with an eye on the cost and what is required in other areas is the issue. 

what’s available to replace Brownhill like for like with the experience, etc etc etc at a cost that makes the move sensible?

My view:

1) not all gambles have the same impact: bringing in Pring for Wright would be a change of reserves, whereas Brownhill is a key player and in our midfield he has unique characteristics, so replacing him with rookie/low cost players (ex: a Szmodics II) would be riskier IMO; foreign market has its question marks too;

2) difficult task in January. The best choice would be keeping him and trying to get loan deals for other areas (ex: striker), but if it's not possible, I guess that the ideal midfielder's profile to match experience and cost (using part of the Burnley money) would be a player who has already shown his qualities in our league but isn't a regular starter for his current team;

3) TBS, the strategy should depend mainly on the manager's ideas: LJ seems reluctant to use often creative players (Palmer/Paterson) so one of the midfielders has to help with the playmaking/attacking work, and at the moment this player is Josh. However, with a N°10 on the pitch, we could use a totally defensive midfield (and in this case, Morrell could be a useful addition even now).

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Maybe that’s why he’s injured,

Peterborough have had a bid accepted by charlton for maddison,

i like him would be a good replacement for brownhill imo as well as add much needed goals from midfield

Different kind of player than Brownhill. Maddison more a 10 or wide player. Brownhill a deeper player. Even in his best position Brownhill is box to box. He isn’t a creative midfielder so seems an odd comparison. Maddison would be competing with Palmer, Paterson and Szmodics were he to sign here. Maybe even Eliasson, Watkins and O’Dowda but don’t see him competing with Nagy, Massengo or Smith. 

For me, don’t mind selling Brownhill but we’d have to recall Morrell. It is a gamble but JM now played at a high level for a nation that is competing at a high level. The fact he fought his way to a call up to keeping his place to an extent(they had some injuries tbf) is a credit to him and I think shows he can move to this level. If selling JB means a striker and JM then I am for it. If we could get 9-10m with some add ons etc think it would suit us. 

1 hour ago, Dan Robin said:

My view:

1) not all gambles have the same impact: bringing in Pring for Wright would be a change of reserves, whereas Brownhill is a key player and in our midfield he has unique characteristics, so replacing him with rookie/low cost players (ex: a Szmodics II) would be riskier IMO; foreign market has its question marks too;

2) difficult task in January. The best choice would be keeping him and trying to get loan deals for other areas (ex: striker), but if it's not possible, I guess that the ideal midfielder's profile to match experience and cost (using part of the Burnley money) would be a player who has already shown his qualities in our league but isn't a regular starter for his current team;

3) TBS, the strategy should depend mainly on the manager's ideas: LJ seems reluctant to use often creative players (Palmer/Paterson) so one of the midfielders has to help with the playmaking/attacking work, and at the moment this player is Josh. However, with a N°10 on the pitch, we could use a totally defensive midfield (and in this case, Morrell could be a useful addition even now).

Patterson is here now again, scored and made a goal on Saturday in a team that won away while Josh ‘ nursed ‘ his foot. LJ has an almost immediate replacement that fulfills almost to a tee what you describe in paragraph 1, 2 and 3. Bringing back Walsh and /or Morrell is a real option at the cost of having to pay their full wage for back up purposes. 

Palmer and Afobi were a real little team on a great wavelength as was Weimann at the time. Palmer Famara and Weimann is hit and miss at best...Palmer needs Afobi back or another striker with those attributes, hence the obsession with Nketiah. 

strangely someone made a point about Nketiah implying he is more likely to come here if we beat Shrewsbury. That may help, but if Norwich or Villa are serious that might not be enough. Guess we will see. Nevertheless Fammy has hit form and a more like for like back up hoping for Afobi for the run in is not out of the question. 

IMO!

58 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Different kind of player than Brownhill. Maddison more a 10 or wide player. Brownhill a deeper player. Even in his best position Brownhill is box to box. He isn’t a creative midfielder so seems an odd comparison. Maddison would be competing with Palmer, Paterson and Szmodics were he to sign here. Maybe even Eliasson, Watkins and O’Dowda but don’t see him competing with Nagy, Massengo or Smith. 

For me, don’t mind selling Brownhill but we’d have to recall Morrell. It is a gamble but JM now played at a high level for a nation that is competing at a high level. The fact he fought his way to a call up to keeping his place to an extent(they had some injuries tbf) is a credit to him and I think shows he can move to this level. If selling JB means a striker and JM then I am for it. If we could get 9-10m with some add ons etc think it would suit us. 

Can see why Maddison would fit Charlton.  They play a diamond and that would give him one or two positions to stake a claim.  A flat midfield in a 442 is not best fit for him.

Interesting that MacAnthony has stated that two other clubs have bid, but he’s not given permission for them to speak to MM.  That suggests that either 1) the speculated release fee of £2.5m has not been reached by 2 of them, or there was no release clause and he would prefer that MM goes to Charlton.

He did say over the summer we were very good to deal with over the Eisa transfer.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

JB is a good all round midfielder who does a lot of things well. Morrell is slightly different IMO, he is more of a passing midfielder and one I think will fit in better to how we need to play when we have the wide players we have. Morrell has proved himself in a Wales team that is predominantly made up of Championship players and a couple of world class players and he deserves his chance. When hes played for us hes never let us down. With Nagy, Smith and Massengo as options to support its certainly a viable option now that Walsh is at Coventry for the rest of the season

13 minutes ago, INCRED said:

JB is a good all round midfielder who does a lot of things well. Morrell is slightly different IMO, he is more of a passing midfielder and one I think will fit in better to how we need to play when we have the wide players we have. Morrell has proved himself in a Wales team that is predominantly made up of Championship players and a couple of world class players and he deserves his chance. When hes played for us hes never let us down. With Nagy, Smith and Massengo as options to support its certainly a viable option now that Walsh is at Coventry for the rest of the season

Agree we need sitting midfielders imo. Can see him Nagy and Massengo buzzing about in there winning lots of balls back. We would lack height and strength a bit but think it would suit our game better. Think this works best with Kalas and Baker. Kalas ok on ball but both defenders first so the two interceptors and ball collectors and the strong defenders behind for aerial things. 

As midfielders go I really rate Josh. Just as more a box to box in a 3(like a 433 next to another box to box and a holding midfield behind them. For us when he plays deeper he doesn’t get as much freedom as he probably needs and he isn’t a 10. He has been fantastic while not really fitting in imo. 

We’ve been really good at maximising transfer values for our players over the last few years. £6m feels cheap for Brownhill given his age and importance to the team.  I can only think that we feel the money is needed to strengthen elsewhere and we need to clear a pathway for someone like Morrell.  Personally I’d rather keep Josh until the summer at that price.

Brownhill is a goal scoring midfielder. A rare commodity really. We don’t have any other midfielders at the club who score goals. Smith, Nagy, Massengo don’t score goals. We will need to replace Brownhill with another goal scoring midfielder. Those aren’t cheap and will cost considerably more than 6M I feel. We don’t really have many players that actually look like they’ve got goals in them. 

1 minute ago, Red white and red said:

Brownhill is a goal scoring midfielder. A rare commodity really. We don’t have any other midfielders at the club who score goals. Smith, Nagy, Massengo don’t score goals. We will need to replace Brownhill with another goal scoring midfielder. Those aren’t cheap and will cost considerably more than 6M I feel. We don’t really have many players that actually look like they’ve got goals in them. 

Palmer could be that player. 

If we sell JB then KP can be accommodated in the heart of midfield.

13 hours ago, INCRED said:

Re the highlighted passage above, actually the Wales team (including the two subs who came on) that played Hungary in the final qualifier for the Euros consisted of two players from the top divisions in Italy and Spain (Ramsey and Bale); six Premier League players; and only four Championship players, plus Joe.  

7 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Someone should tell him he’s a goal scoring midfielder ! He might score more goals! 

A love Brownhill but wouldn’t class him as that. £6m is ridiculous. He’s worth double

19 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Don't feel he effects games as much as he should so didn't think it would be near what some were expecting but that's still looks a couple of mill short 

Interesting. I think he affects games more than any other midfielder we have - more influential so far than Nagy, Massengo or Smith (by which I mean, more likely to turn possession into attack).

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Someone should tell him he’s a goal scoring midfielder ! He might score more goals! 

A love Brownhill but wouldn’t class him as that. £6m is ridiculous. He’s worth double

Has Brownhill not scored 6/7 goals each of the last couple of seasons? Apart from Fam and Weimann, he’s the only player that actually looks like scoring!

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Interesting. I think he effects games more than any other midfielder we have - more influential so far than Nagy, Massengo or Smith (by which I mean, more likely to turn possession into attack).

See them as different players. I feel he's restricted,  like alot of our players under the current management.

Archived