IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

8 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Brownhill does the ugly side of the game as well. Can you see Palmer running around, box-to-box for 90 mins? Palmer is a different type of player. 

We've got plenty of others who can run around like headless chickens. Palmer shouldn't get a free pass but his primary objective should be to get on the ball and feed our strikers.

Both Cardiff and Swansea used a 4-2-3-1 yesterday. Tomlin played centre of the 3 for Cardiff, Celina the same for Swansea. Ditto Palmer for us, in a squad that's been put together with complimentary pieces. Unfortunately at the moment we don't have all the correct pieces.

Brownhill would score plenty more if he played in a midfield 3 or wide right of a 4.

He doesn't score as many as he would because most of his game time has been in a 2 in a 442. 

It doesn't allow him to get in the box much. To be a goalscoring midfielder, you have to have licence to get in the box. Can't expect him to score loads from 30 yards!

I would be very disappointed to lose Josh Brownhill in January for £6m regardless of who we bring in. He's been an integral part of our team for several years and has been a stand-in captain for most of the season. Losing him now would be a very poor decision in my opinion and it will take a period for any replacement (if any) to get up to speed. I wouldn't want to deny him the opportunity to move to the Premier League (particularly one closer to his family roots) but I feel its something that should be revisited in the summer unless we receive an offer we can't reject. If the rumoured £6m is true, we can live without that money. 

Spot on @Coppello

Seems a bad footballing and possibly a bad business decision to sell an important player such as him in January.

Goals, decent technically, can play central, wide right, deeper or higher up- higher up central or right my preference but he's quite good.

24, equalled his record League goals in a season already, albeit unsur he's scored for a while.

Let's not forget that Preston have a sell on clause too or so I read- if anyone knows more, happy to be corrected, but even if it is for the money, we won't see all of that.

Point off the playoffs, chance the season could yet turn into an upward trajectory...£6-7m in January for Brownhill would be deeply disappointing.

21 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He scores five per season. Wouldn’t class that as goalscoring midfielder myself 

Still room for growth, already hit his 5- between 5-10 as he develops could be more accurate.

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I would be very disappointed to lose Josh Brownhill in January for £6m regardless of who we bring in. He's been an integral part of our team for several years and has been a stand-in captain for most of the season. Losing him now would be a very poor decision in my opinion and it will take a period for any replacement (if any) to get up to speed. I wouldn't want to deny him the opportunity to move to the Premier League (particularly one closer to his family roots) but I feel its something that should be revisited in the summer unless we receive an offer we can't reject. If the rumoured £6m is true, we can live without that money. 

It'll be sad but I think we have a squad that's replaceable providing we get sensible money in return. I also think JB really wants the move, why wouldn't he? 

I remember thinking when Flint went we were fudged, but Webster came along.  

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Palmer could be that player. 

If we sell JB then KP can be accommodated in the heart of midfield.

Some similarities, but different types of players, unsure I'd play Palmer in a 3 as he's a) Best higher up the pitch and b) Worse defensively than Brownhill. Not that defence is Brownhill's strong point.

One thing that I like about Brownhill is that IF utilised correctly, team tweaked a bit, he could play central- in attacking phases, 4-2-3-1 or more, in midfield phases he filters back into 4-3-3...Palmer doesn't have this.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some similarities, but different types of players, unsure I'd play Palmer in a 3 as he's a) Best higher up the pitch and b) Worse defensively than Brownhill. Not that defence is Brownhill's strong point.

Yeah i'd be surprised if we told Palmer to think about anything defensively. 

He's a player that thinks forward and only forward 

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

It'll be sad but I think we have a squad that's replaceable providing we get sensible money in return. I also think JB really wants the move, why wouldn't he? 

Yeah and if you blinked, you would have missed him...

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spot on @Coppello

Seems a bad footballing and possibly a bad business decision to sell an important player such as him in January.

Goals, decent technically, can play central, wide right, deeper or higher up- higher up central or right my preference but he's quite good.

24, equalled his record League goals in a season already, albeit unsur he's scored for a while.

Let's not forget that Preston have a sell on clause too or so I read- if anyone knows more, happy to be corrected, but even if it is for the money, we won't see all of that.

Point off the playoffs, chance the season could yet turn into an upward trajectory...£6-7m in January for Brownhill would be deeply disappointing.

Still room for growth, already hit his 5- between 5-10 as he develops could be more accurate.

We got Josh on a free didn't we? So surely no sell on clause.

That might be actually why we are not demanding more. If we had to pay sell on fee then maybe we ask for more.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We got Josh on a free didn't we? So surely no sell on clause.

That might be actually why we are not demanding more. If we had to pay sell on fee then maybe we ask for more.

So sell him cheap because there’s no sell on clause? I say get as much as we can especially from a premiership team. They’ve got money coming out their ears and they can pass a bit of it down to us! Starting bid 10 million all day long. 

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't disagree about JB wanting the move and would be pleased for him if he got a move to the Premier League. I think it's just a massive risk for this season given that statistically, January signings are less likely to be successful and will also take a while to learn our system. Lee Johnson famously stated last season that he needed X number of training sessions to coach Kasey Palmer and get him up to scratch so I'd imagine that any new signing will be similar.

I do agree with you regarding the replacement coming from within the squad - meaning Morrell is likely to be recalled. For what it's worth, I've been really impressed with him during his loan spell at Lincoln and his games for Wales but it feels like we'd be weakening the squad for the business end of the season. 

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Brownhill would score plenty more if he played in a midfield 3 or wide right of a 4.

He doesn't score as many as he would because most of his game time has been in a 2 in a 442. 

It doesn't allow him to get in the box much. To be a goalscoring midfielder, you have to have licence to get in the box. Can't expect him to score loads from 30 yards!

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Spot on @Coppello

I think this emphasises @JonDolman's point, only 24 shots at goal is low for a central midfield player, his accuracy isn't great though.  On that point, our coaching team really need to get Eliasson to be a bit more selfish!! 

image.thumb.png.ea7f944ceae643414f73398f1433874e.png

3 minutes ago, swanker said:

So sell him cheap because there’s no sell on clause? I say get as much as we can especially from a premiership team. They’ve got money coming out their ears and they can pass a bit of it down to us! Starting bid 10 million all day long. 

No but people in the past say prices have been so high because of sell on fees, and Josh doesn't have one.

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yeah and if you blinked, you would have missed him...

But that move highlights the reality of where we are at and the business model.

The other major factor is that any PL club, even one run prudently like Burnley, can offer a player multiples of his current salary - wasn't it rumoured that Webster went on to a contract at Brighton of x 4 what we were paying him?

That is  a scenario where it's going to be very difficult to hold on to a player when there is no way you can match or even get close to that type of money.

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

True but just an example of plenty more fish in the sea 

Of course.

But it’s just that cycle again of bringing players in, developing them into good players and then sell them on. 

Repeat.

I know that’s the way of the football world unfortunately but it always seems to be our players lately. Preston always manage to keep hold of Browne, Maguire, Johnson, Pearson etc. Arguably better than our players?

Eliasson is next in line.

I don't disagree about JB wanting the move and would be pleased for him if he got a move to the Premier League. I think it's just a massive risk for this season given that statistically, January signings are less likely to be successful and will also take a while to learn our system. Lee Johnson famously stated last season that he needed X number of training sessions to coach Kasey Palmer and get him up to scratch so I'd imagine that any new signing will be similar.

I do agree with you regarding the replacement coming from within the squad - meaning Morrell is likely to be recalled. For what it's worth, I've been really impressed with him during his loan spell at Lincoln and his games for Wales but it feels like we'd be weakening the squad for the business end of the season. 

He did say that but I take that with a huge pinch of salt - another example of Lee thinking he is a super coach with sophisticated patterns of play that take a while for a talented player to understand - really? It's not something I see every Saturday from my seat!

I agree, without doubt a weakening at a tough time. But for Bristol City? Maybe it's for the better overtime ?

Maybe get a midfielder in on loan so Morrell can continue getting games? Or recall Morrell?

Matty James may be a good one if we want a loan.

Can cover at centre back too, with Wright likely going that would mean he can do a 2nd role if needed.

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Of course.

But it’s just that cycle again of bringing players in, developing them into good players and then sell them on. 

Repeat.

I know that’s the way of the football world unfortunately but it always seems to be our players lately. Preston always manage to keep hold of Browne, Maguire, Johnson, Pearson etc. Arguably better than our players?

Eliasson is next in line.

Not gonna lie this too also puzzles me. If I was a Preston player I'd be keen for a move to double my salary even if it was a sideways champ move. 

Players must really enjoy their time there or something 

Archived