IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yea they have and have done in the past, John bostock at palace springs to mind

John Bostock?! I'd forgotten about him. Just checked his Wiki and he's on loan at Forest from Toulouse!

He's one of those odd nomadic footballers that never really settles anywhere. Belgium, Canada, France, Turkey... what a strange career. 

Oh, and it says he's 6ft 2, just FYI

Our league position ain't too bad currently, we have a chance of a decent high profile cup game against Liverpool in the offing .. but if all does not go well for us tonight at Shrewsbury, and we begin under-selling our better players for less than their potential true value.... I can only see things going Brownhill for us from now on. ;) 

17 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Considering recent transfers out of the club, anything short of £12million would be a bit of a joke really without anybody coming our way in exchange. 

Josh is still a young player, when you consider the price Kelly, Kodjia and Webster went for then anything less than £12mill shouldn’t be considered. 

The key thing is who are interested. If it's 2 or 3 prem sides like Gregor says, then yes surely we get a good fee.

If it's just one team, with his contract up end of next season. It may be hard to get what we want.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The key thing is who are interested. If it's 2 or 3 prem sides like Gregor says, then yes surely we get a good fee.

If it's just one team, with his contract up end of next season. It may be hard to get what we want.

18 months is not really in that critical period though is it, if he went for a lower amount in summer than is perhaps understandable. But in January you would expect to pay more due to the fact it is halfway through the season and prices are often inflated. 

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If they all think he’s worth £6m, they may stop there and say make your mind up. Not everything become a “bidding war”.

FWIW, I suspect total fee will be £10-12m, but initial fee £8-9m with addons and 20% sell-on. And we end up giving Preston £1.5-2.0m!!!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If they all think he’s worth £6m, they may stop there and say make your mind up. Not everything become a “bidding war”.

FWIW, I suspect total fee will be £10-12m, but initial fee £8-9m with addons and 20% sell-on. And we end up giving Preston £1.5-2.0m!!!

Hope you're right

23 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

18 months is not really in that critical period though is it, if he went for a lower amount in summer than is perhaps understandable. But in January you would expect to pay more due to the fact it is halfway through the season and prices are often inflated. 

Yep true. 

Just looked, Hendrick went for 10 million to Burnley from championship. 24 years old at the time. Right midfield or centre mid. Very much like Brownhill.

That must have been a couple of years ago now. Prices have only gone up in that time.

Anything less than 10 would seem like poor business really. 

Whatever prem clubs are after him must believe he is a prem quality midfielder.

Young English prem quality midfielders should not cost 6 million. Well, certainly when they still have a fair amount of time left on contract.

JB very much fits the 'buy them young and sell for profit' mantra we've developed therefore it would be no surprise to see him go, it's business after all. £6M is very low though considering we hold all the cards, if they really want or need him surely we can and will demand a fee of above £10M. There has never been any value in the January market and at £6m we'd be bucking the trend IMO. They'd be buying him to boost their Premier league survival chances, the cost of which is far more than £6M. 

Whilst id be sad if he were to go, players do come and go and I really believe Walsh will be our standout player next year (I may get laughed at for that) but i think he is absolute quality and would easily make the step up after a season of regular football. Im sure Morrell could too, but I've really not seen much of him to pass comment.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is what I think we would sell for. I have said before 10-12m but maybe less if he has indicated his time is up here(last 18 months now) so we’d sell in summer anyway. The 6m I’d expect that as a summer fee not a January one.

I can’t recall many similar to Josh moving to the prem recently(talking age, position, goal scoring record) but Burnley got one in Hendrick. That was 10.5m. Not sure the contract situation then but he wasn’t as prolific a scorer as Josh. Think they will feel they have overpaid there and may be more cautious offering a fee for a champ player now. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can’t recall many similar to Josh moving to the prem recently(talking age, position, goal scoring record) but Burnley got one in Hendrick. That was 10.5m. Not sure the contract situation then but he wasn’t as prolific a scorer as Josh. Think they will feel they have overpaid there and may be more cautious offering a fee for a champ player now. 

Hendrick was already a full international when joining Burnley and based on Wikipedia (yes, ok) their goalscoring is very similar - 26 in 214 games .v. 17 in 154.  

All that said, I too feel Burnley are likely to be more cautious this time round and would be amazed if we got £10 million or more.  

Don't really understand why we'd do this deal now (tell him he can leave in the summer), unless it somehow enables us to do other deals which significantly upgrade our attacking options.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Hendrick was already a full international when joining Burnley and based on Wikipedia (yes, ok) their goalscoring is very similar - 26 in 214 games .v. 17 in 154.  

All that said, I too feel Burnley are likely to be more cautious this time round and would be amazed if we got £10 million or more.  

Don't really understand why we'd do this deal now (tell him he can leave in the summer), unless it somehow enables us to do other deals which significantly upgrade our attacking options.

Yes, was gonna say the same about international status, but also he was playing well for ROI too, demonstrating (potential) ability to step-up.

£6m is what I would call a sensible opening gambit.

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Bristol Post reporting that Josh has a 7m release clause in his conract, that comes into effect this summer.

Dont be surprised, to see him go in the next week or 2 for 8-10m.

Surprised if we even get that much if that clause is true.

7 million plus Wells now would be a very good deal imo considering that clause.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Bristol Post reporting that Josh has a 7m release clause in his conract, that comes into effect this summer.

Dont be surprised, to see him go in the next week or 2 for 8-10m.

Well.

That may change matters somewhat. 

It does mean the ceiling here is, as @Riaz says, £8-£10m. I can see a prem club shelling an extra £1-2m to steal a march and get JB early. The questions really are the following:

- If Josh hangs on until the summer, he’s likely to have more choice of clubs and also may be able to negotiate that extra £1-£2m for himself as opposed to City. Is he desperate to get to the prem as a squad player now, or is he prepared to wait it out (knowing the chance may not come again)

- From our perspective, it feels simple. You don’t put that clause in as a player unless you intend exercising it, so he’s gone for £7m in the summer. With that pretty much in the Bank with the noted interest, do we take c£2m more now, or stick with a player who may not be 100% as he eyes up a summer move?

To put it another way, would you pay £1-£2m loan fee for JB for the 18 games that are left?

To me, he’s not of that value in that circumstance. So if we get an extra £2m now, I’d sell

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No point taking anything less than 8m. When we can take 7m in the summer and have him here for the rest of the season

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

No point taking anything less than 8m. When we can take 7m in the summer and have him here for the rest of the season

But we'd be gaining Wells out of deal.

We'd be 7 million better off to then strengthen elsewhere too.

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This also no doubt means that we've tried and so far failed this season to get him to sign a new contract before he enters the final year of his deal and that low release clause applies.

As captain for most of the season, I'm a little surprised we've not been able to get him onto new terms - I wonder if that's Josh wanting to move on or the club seeing him as tradeable.

Either way I'm curious if his dramatic drop-off in form in the past month has any correlation to a failure of talks behind the scenes and his recognition he may be moving on in January.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Slightly contradictory there I’d say.

If on one hand you’re saying we wouldn’t get £8-£10m, and on the other saying we could get £7m + Wells, that puts NW at below £1m. Be delighted with that but don’t see it - more likely £5m plus NW

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm with JD. If him leaving now facilitates getting someone in, then go for it. I'd even consider taking less than £7m in certain circumstances (e.g. Burnley value their player @£5m, we value Josh @£7m, so they pay us £2m, but for bookkeeping reasons, their player is valued at £3m and Josh £5m. Handy if there are sell on clauses, etc. although maybe a tad immoral).

If a club other than Burnley come in, then we ask for a a small £1-2m premium, as they would be securing their man and he'd be available earlier. But it the other club is Villa, its £15m, even though he's not a striker!

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If we got Wells, that would be a great deal. That effectively mean, we got got about 12m for brownhill and a prolific striker

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well.

That may change matters somewhat. 

It does mean the ceiling here is, as @Riaz says, £8-£10m. I can see a prem club shelling an extra £1-2m to steal a march and get JB early. The questions really are the following:

- If Josh hangs on until the summer, he’s likely to have more choice of clubs and also may be able to negotiate that extra £1-£2m for himself as opposed to City. Is he desperate to get to the prem as a squad player now, or is he prepared to wait it out (knowing the chance may not come again)

- From our perspective, it feels simple. You don’t put that clause in as a player unless you intend exercising it, so he’s gone for £7m in the summer. With that pretty much in the Bank with the noted interest, do we take c£2m more now, or stick with a player who may not be 100% as he eyes up a summer move?

To put it another way, would you pay £1-£2m loan fee for JB for the 18 games that are left?

To me, he’s not of that value in that circumstance. So if we get an extra £2m now, I’d sell

If it were me, I'd be wanting to go now - one injury can scupper a deal and even a career. Imagine he said he'll hang on until the summer for more money and then did an ACL. I'd rather move and be on 30k a week more for the next 6 months.

If he's going to go, I reckon it will be in the next two weeks.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

If we got Wells, that would be a great deal. That effectively mean, we got got about 12m for brownhill and a prolific striker

It would possibly be one the best deals the club have ever done, if it were to come off.

I just don't see any club agreeing to throw in a 5mil quid player and shelling out 7mil for a player who might - on a good day - command a fee of between 7 and 9 million.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It would possibly be one the best deals the club have ever done, if it were to come off.

I just don't see any club agreeing to throw in a 5mil quid player and shelling out 7mil for a player who might - on a good day - command a fee of between 7 and 9 million.

Wells original contract runs out in the summer with the option of another year - but they apparently have no interest in exercising that option - he'd be on high wages. Would make sense to let him go to us, if it means they steal a march on other clubs, who would also want Brownhill at a cut price 7m.

It would be a good deal for both clubs IMO.

Would be interesting to see who leaked this. 
Either JBs agent who wants to get him a move to a Prem club now, or the club who want it out there that he’s available, but if you want him now you’ll have to pay a few extra quid than what he’s available for in the summer. 

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Slightly contradictory there I’d say.

If on one hand you’re saying we wouldn’t get £8-£10m, and on the other saying we could get £7m + Wells, that puts NW at below £1m. Be delighted with that but don’t see it - more likely £5m plus NW

Don't think it works like that does it?

Burnley don't want to spend money, but have been willing to go to 7.

That isn't enough, so if they're willing to offer a player who they want to get rid of then it'd be a good deal for them and us.

Agree though 5 plus Wells would be decent business. But offering Wells does not mean he would normally be worth more. But in this situation they may be happy to let him go.

Archived