IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

22 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

I'm with JD. If him leaving now facilitates getting someone in, then go for it. I'd even consider taking less than £7m in certain circumstances (e.g. Burnley value their player @£5m, we value Josh @£7m, so they pay us £2m, but for bookkeeping reasons, their player is valued at £3m and Josh £5m. Handy if there are sell on clauses, etc. although maybe a tad immoral).

If a club other than Burnley come in, then we ask for a a small £1-2m premium, as they would be securing their man and he'd be available earlier. But it the other club is Villa, its £15m, even though he's not a striker!

Yep. I guess there's the wage problem with Wells too. Not sure if we can do a deal that mean they cover percentage of wages. Not sure what he's on but probably 30k or so a week? Complete guess.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. I guess there's the wage problem with Wells too. Not sure if we can do a deal that mean they cover percentage of wages. Not sure what he's on but probably 30k or so a week? Complete guess.

This suggests 25k a week.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/burnley-f.c/payroll/

So would be (I guess) one of our higher earners. But if they are trimming the squad and expect players like HNM and TM to feature more next season, and possibly see some of the young loanees play a more prominent role as well, it could be sensible overall.

43 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Bristol Post reporting that Josh has a 7m release clause in his conract, that comes into effect this summer.

Dont be surprised, to see him go in the next week or 2 for 8-10m.

Oh No!

Oh My God NO!!!

Watch this space now then ....

Stand by for a revenge move by The Gas in retaliation for our devastating Matty Taylor raid on them in similar circumstances..

We've been warned that they're 'coming for us' !  ?

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

I wouldn't sell him this window.

I hope if we do, we wait until we have a quality replacement in first. Recalling Morrell or Walsh wont be good enough. 

They're both doing very well in league one.

We also have Korey, Nagy and Massengo. Last 2 just need consistency. Protecting korey too, rotating those 3 with Morrell or Walsh.

I think that could work well. 

Brownhill is poor at the moment. And it seems to happen so often when a player is linked with a move.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Yeah. Nothing to stop the Blue Few taking him off our hands is there! ?

Not sure why you consider the release clause a joke however.

That’s a good point.

I for one hope that if Burnley pay £7m and no more because of a publicly known release clause that we slate them in public, come to a “gentleman’s agreement” not to trade with them again and abuse Josh to the extent he has to move house, taunting him as “snake” for wanting to better himself.

Its the only appropriate action.

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm not holding my breath over this deal. It may be attractive to both Burnley and City but is far from a done deal bQPR may throw their hat in the ring for Wells and his preference may be there

Indeed. The issue for me, is would he want to come here.

Thing is with QPR, they dont have a player burnley wants.... or about 12m to spend....we do.

We may be his only option

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

They're both doing very well in league one.

We also have Korey, Nagy and Massengo. Last 2 just need consistency. Protecting korey too, rotating those 3 with Morrell or Walsh.

I think that could work well. 

Brownhill is poor at the moment. And it seems to happen so often when a player is linked with a move.

Morrell isn't really like for like with Brownhill anyway, would need to be Walsh if one was to be recalled.

Johnson came out recently and said in certain formations you end up having Brownhill picking up someone who's 6ft + on corners, if he was to go & it was Walsh we'd struggle even more in these situations. 

Vaulks makes sense to me as a replacement. 

Just found out Joe Morrell is 6'1. - Is that Frank Fielding measurements they're using there? I always thought of him being about 5'6/7.

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Morrell isn't really like for like with Brownhill anyway, would need to be Walsh if one was to be recalled.

Johnson came out recently and said in certain formations you end up having Brownhill picking up someone who's 6ft + on corners, if he was to go we'd struggle even more in these situations. 

Vaulks is very good in the air, but he is probably worse than Morrell if Morrell is ahead of him in Wales side.

We can have tall players in other positions that can defend corners, it doesn't have to be a midfielder.

I'd be disappointed if LJ is bringing in midfielders to defend corners. That is a bonus, but shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking someone in the side.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s a good point.

I for one hope that if Burnley pay £7m and no more because of a publicly known release clause that we slate them in public, come to a “gentleman’s agreement” not to trade with them again and abuse Josh to the extent he has to move house, taunting him as “snake” for wanting to better himself.

Its the only appropriate action.

I'm going to preempt this frankly devious behaviour BEFORE anything is done and any players are traded.

I'm going to Sainsbury's on my way home from work where I'll pick something up, and then put it back again - but to show everyone that I mean business - I'll not leave the label on the product obvious to those standing in front of it.

That'll show 'em. I'll be just like one of those braver Fewers.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Vaulks is very good in the air, but he is probably worse than Morrell if Morrell is ahead of him in Wales side.

We can have tall players in other positions that can defend corners, it doesn't have to be a midfielder.

I'd be disappointed if LJ is bringing in midfielders to defend corners. That is a bonus, but shouldn't be a deciding factor in picking someone in the side.

Aye I know, but the make-up of our squad, you struggle once you get past the CB's and Fam to have a 4th marker. If Pereira/Watkins plays then you do, if not then you're struggling

Also, not suggesting Vaulks comes in purely to defend corners haha, he's the same height as Brownhill, he just has an eye for goal and can be creative as well as his time at Rotherham in this division proved.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Aye I know, but the make-up of our squad, you struggle once you get past the CB's and Fam to have a 4th marker. If Pereira/Watkins plays then you do, if not then you're struggling

Also, not suggesting Vaulks comes in purely to defend corners haha, he's the same height as Brownhill, he just has an eye for goal and can be creative as well as his time at Rotherham in this division proved.

I was never that impressed with him in midfield to be honest. But was very impressed with him at centre back. He says he likes playing there, but not right back so much as he lacks pace. 

15 minutes ago, ITK..... said:

Would you pay £7 million for Josh brownhill on this season's form? 

Yes. There been some downturn in form recent, in common with most of the squad, but if you want a young box to box midfielder to play in the Premier league, not to go in the development squad, and who has shown captaincy potential then around £7M is going to be the going rate. 

29 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Indeed. The issue for me, is would he want to come here.

Thing is with QPR, they dont have a player burnley wants.... or about 12m to spend....we do.

We may be his only option

Are you saying we have £12m to spend?  Interested in how you reached this figure.  Ignore me if that’s not what you meant.

21 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Johnson came out recently and said in certain formations you end up having Brownhill picking up someone who's 6ft + on corners, if he was to go & it was Walsh we'd struggle even more in these situations. 

Just found out Joe Morrell is 6'1. - Is that Frank Fielding measurements they're using there? I always thought of him being about 5'6/7.

Walsh has already had agreement with Coventry that he’s staying for rest of season.  Recall agreed not be activated. 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

With that logic Morrell who I like is better than Ramsey or Ampadu? ?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Are you saying we have £12m to spend?  Interested in how you reached this figure.  Ignore me if that’s not what you meant.

Walsh has already had agreement with Coventry that he’s staying for rest of season.  Recall agreed not be activated. 

I'm not sure Ampadu is even that good is he? Played centre back I think more for Chelsea in European games they were expected to win comfortably.

Ramsey is not really a player that plays in a 2, he is much more effective with freedom to roam. And I think had just come back from injury. 

Vaulks and Morrell are the exact same position I think. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We have the means to get Wells is basically what i'm saying. The fact we have a player they want.

Pretty sure QPR are skint.

Id take Vaulks and Wells and losing Brownhill for whatever Ashton can get.

Recall Morrell. We'd then be a stronger squad with those deals done. 

Afobe returning too. Could be looking very good if he can come back strong. I know that's asking a lot after a long lay off but sometimes players do come back sharp even after long lay off.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would like to see us recall Joe & give him a run..

trade Josh for Wells & job's a good un!

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not sure Ampadu is even that good is he? Played centre back I think more for Chelsea in European games they were expected to win comfortably.

Ramsey is not really a player that plays in a 2, he is much more effective with freedom to roam. And I think had just come back from injury. 

Vaulks and Morrell are the exact same position I think. 

Both can play a variety of CM roles, but play them differently. Interestingly, Joe now playing a bit more advanced at Lincoln, now they’ve got Coventry as their DM/holder. 

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I think the hundreds of finacial views just show we'd all like to see MA's spreadsheet. None of us can so its all theretical of course and I would like to see our best players stay until our future (equal chance of mid-table or top 6) becomes clearer then start to build a team for next season

Wages is very difficult to judge, cause it might include or exclude bonuses etc.

Been thinking about this clause and I see two scenarios.

First, Josh seems to have one of the more twitchy agents. Every window he’s been linked with a move, so the likelihood is that his agent wanted a cut so argued for the clause.

Second, it may show that our target for promotion is this season. Sticking a clause that says you can go for £7m to the Prem in summer 20, could show that we wanted to be in the Prem by summer 20. Cashing in on it now May show we’re a bit further off our target than we want to be. At 2nd/3rd in the table we may put up more of a fight to keep him.

Archived