IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

To me it makes sense. We protect our investment until the summer. It looks like he wants to play at a higher level and won't sign a new deal. You wouldn't begrudge him that. 

Or if you want him in Jan that price is inflated.

He is club captain and will play a vital part in what could be a very exciting few months. Fingers crossed.

Someone slated Mark Ashton on this thread. I will temper that slightly.  It seems to me that everyone in this club saw his potential. Without doubt the last contract Josh will sign for this club. We are protected on a guaranteed return, rather than nothing at the end of his one year extension, which the club would trigger and the player would have to accept. 

The question is, when JB signed his last contract was a release clause of 7m a good number. I would say perhaps when he signed it looked good for the club. However I think it's a testament to how far Josh has progressed. I would without doubt say now that 7m for a player like Josh in his last year of contact is undervalued.  You spin the wheel you takes your chance in pinning a value on a player a few years out. 

I don't think the club have got this one horribly wrong. We will wait and see what Mark Ashton comes up with. 

4 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

To me it makes sense. We protect our investment until the summer. It looks like he wants to play at a higher level and won't sign a new deal. You wouldn't begrudge him that. 

Or if you want him in Jan that price is inflated.

He is club captain and will play a vital part in what could be a very exciting few months. Fingers crossed.

Someone slated Mark Ashton on this thread. I will temper that slightly.  It seems to me that everyone in this club saw his potential. Without doubt the last contract Josh will sign for this club. We are protected on a guaranteed return, rather than nothing at the end of his one year extension, which the club would trigger and the player would have to accept. 

The question is, when JB signed his last contract was a release clause of 7m a good number. I would say perhaps when he signed it looked good for the club. However I think it's a testament to how far Josh has progressed. I would without doubt say now that 7m for a player like Josh in his last year of contact is undervalued.  You spin the wheel you takes your chance in pinning a value on a player a few years out. 

I don't think the club have got this one horribly wrong. We will wait and see what Mark Ashton comes up with. 

He signed a new contract last year when Cod wouldnt , correct? 7 million seems a bit low but then again anything didnt we sign him on the cheap? 

Im all for letting him go if we get quality replacements in  for him and Afobe. We have to assume Afobe is out for rest of the season as march is a long way away and not fair to put that burden on one player although fam is having a great season we just need more goals.

LJ has never really changed his style...outscore the opposition which if we didnt have the cup run few years ago we may of gone up ? Who knows...

37 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

He signed a new contract last year when Cod wouldnt , correct? 7 million seems a bit low but then again anything didnt we sign him on the cheap? 

Im all for letting him go if we get quality replacements in  for him and Afobe. We have to assume Afobe is out for rest of the season as march is a long way away and not fair to put that burden on one player although fam is having a great season we just need more goals.

LJ has never really changed his style...outscore the opposition which if we didnt have the cup run few years ago we may of gone up ? Who knows...

As I understand it (and stand to be corrected);

We signed him when his contract ran down but paid a fee due to his club offering him a renewed deal.

I think his last contract ran from 2017 till 2021.

Its been reported that there is a clause to enable him to leave this summer if a club offers 7m.

So its feasible that something over 7m could be attained if he leaves in this window.

There is so much noise in the media regarding Brownhill that it seems inevitable imo that he will go in this window - so I'd expect it to be slightly north of 7m.

Maybe 8m ?

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

We signed him when his contract ran down but paid a fee due to his club offering him a renewed deal.

Its been reported that there is a clause to enable him to leave this summer if a club offers 7m.

So its feasible that something over 7m could be attained if he leaves in this window.

There is so much noise in the media regarding Brownhill that it seems inevitable imo that he will go in this window - so I'd expect it to be slightly north of 7m.

Maybe 8m ?

Yeah somewhere in the region of £7.1m - £100m.

You heard it here first.

18 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not sure Ampadu is even that good is he? Played centre back I think more for Chelsea in European games they were expected to win comfortably.

Ramsey is not really a player that plays in a 2, he is much more effective with freedom to roam. And I think had just come back from injury. 

Vaulks and Morrell are the exact same position I think. 

England tried very hard to get him to commit to them which says a lot. England really do their homework on teenage stars these days. Think Ampadu is seen primarily as a CB though.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

England tried very hard to get him to commit to them which says a lot. England really do their homework on teenage stars these days. Think Ampadu is seen primarily as a CB though.

Yep. But where he is currently in his development he is probably worse than Morrell as a midfielder. Unless Giggs is picking the wrong player of course.

Being a few years younger he probably has more potential than Morrell.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. But where he is currently in his development he is probably worse than Morrell as a midfielder. Unless Giggs is picking the wrong player of course.

Being a few years younger he probably has more potential than Morrell.

I don't really know either way because I haven't watched enough of Ampadu to say. You could be right but unless you've watched both play enough times then it's hard to judge.

Some say Morrell could become a better player than Josh. Perhaps we have a ready replacement. 

Was the 7m clause inserted as an advisory by the agent to ensure Josh has an outlet to leave instead of city holding out for a much higher fee? Its a strange one for City to accept but perhaps they had no choice. Well, they always have a choice.

I find it strange that there has been so much interest in him this season. He’s put in some good performances but also plenty of average ones and some down right poor - eg against Barnsley. There haven’t been many matches where he’s been the dominant best midfielder on the pitch. I suppose clubs are considering his age and assume he can develop in a team of better Premier League players. I won’t be distraught if we get £7m 

43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't really know either way because I haven't watched enough of Ampadu to say. You could be right but unless you've watched both play enough times then it's hard to judge.

From what I have seen of Ampadu I didn't think he was that good at the moment. But anyway my main point is Morrell seems to be better than Vaulks, or at least Giggs prefers him. 

So if we signed Vaulks to play in midfield then that would disappoint me when we have Morrell out on loan. We also have Walsh who Coventry fans say plays amazing every week it seems. 

It's league one, but they are both still improving and seem too good for that level.

2 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Perhaps Josh (under advice from Agent) wouldn’t extend his contract unless a fee of this amount was inserted, giving him a get-out if we didn’t want him to go?

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe 8m ?

Or less than £7m if his head has been turned ?

could be less if we also want add-ons, eg. £6m plus £x for appearances plus 20% sell on.

Not straightforward imho. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Once Giggs saw how well Joe could play, one of the big factors in selecting him rather than Ampadu was Joe’s ability to play 90 minutes of both games. Giggs needed that so he would 1) not waste a sub on Ampadu 2) play Ramsey when he wanted. Ampadu was not getting minutes for RBL and couldn’t do 2x90 which was what Giggs theoretically needed for his two match game plan.

So not a selection based on ability of either, but specific two match game plan, with massive consideration of Ramsey and Bale’s ability to get through enough minutes.

And that’s a FACT ???

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps Josh (under advice from Agent) wouldn’t extend his contract unless a fee of this amount was inserted, giving him a get-out if we didn’t want him to go?

Or less than £7m if his head has been turned ?

could be less if we also want add-ons, eg. £6m plus £x for appearances plus 20% sell on.

Not straightforward imho. 

Once Giggs saw how well Joe could play, one of the big factors in selecting him rather than Ampadu was Joe’s ability to play 90 minutes of both games. Giggs needed that so he would 1) not waste a sub on Ampadu 2) play Ramsey when he wanted. Ampadu was not getting minutes for RBL and couldn’t do 2x90 which was what Giggs theoretically needed for his two match game plan.

So not a selection based on ability of either, but specific two match game plan, with massive consideration of Ramsey and Bale’s ability to get through enough minutes.

And that’s a FACT ???

A rare and precious thing :) 

22 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

These guys used to be good but last few years unless the agents gossip alot of transfers are from nowhere  that or sources inside the club or forums 

4 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

You are if course correct. Interesting, Adam Reach signed for Sheff Wed for around 7m that season. Maybe that's the bench mark figure that made 7m a little over inflated for Josh at that time. 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Like the Sheffield United maestro, Brownhill looks a Premier League player in-waiting after a series of eye-catching performances in the Championship. A dynamic, technically gifted midfielder with five goals to his name this season, the Robins’ inspirational skipper is not short of suitors.

Have they actually watched him play!? They may as well have described him as 7 foot tall and blonde, as well. 

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I find it strange that there has been so much interest in him this season. He’s put in some good performances but also plenty of average ones and some down right poor - eg against Barnsley. There haven’t been many matches where he’s been the dominant best midfielder on the pitch. I suppose clubs are considering his age and assume he can develop in a team of better Premier League players. I won’t be distraught if we get £7m 

Those , quite frankly , fabulous goals show the skill  of the lad and won’t have gone unnoticed.

He has been groomed for bigger things since day one here. We have not seen the best of him I am certain and other clubs will agree with me that there is growth potential in his signing.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Those , quite frankly , fabulous goals show the skill  of the lad and won’t have gone unnoticed.

He has been groomed for bigger things since day one here. We have not seen the best of him I am certain and other clubs will agree with me that there is growth potential in his signing.

Yeah the goal vs Cardiff will have caught the eye, and his touch, energy and work rate will have been noted by scouts too. Add to that, model professional, loads of games under his belt even at a young age, and even captaincy on his CV.

Ticks lots of boxes.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Like the Sheffield United maestro, Brownhill looks a Premier League player in-waiting after a series of eye-catching performances in the Championship. A dynamic, technically gifted midfielder with five goals to his name this season, the Robins’ inspirational skipper is not short of suitors.

Have they actually watched him play!? They may as well have described him as 7 foot tall and blonde, as well. 

JB is clearly a very good player in the making, but he ain't no inspirational leader and that's for sure.

36 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

JB is clearly a very good player in the making, but he ain't no inspirational leader and that's for sure.

Not many are at 23 years old to be fair, in fact there are plenty of captains out there with a lot more experience under their belt than JB that are far from inspirational at Premier League level.

I think we'll miss Brownhill if he does go. He's versatile, good engine and he's started to add goals to his game, 5 already this season. Look at the amount of points he's won for us already, and his goals against Cardiff and Charlton (I think) were absolutely amazing, premier league quality and goals I think nobody else could score in our team. Not sure where people are coming from when they say we won't miss him and he's not that good. 

6 minutes ago, Packman said:

I think we'll miss Brownhill if he does go. He's versatile, good engine and he's started to add goals to his game, 5 already this season. Look at the amount of points he's won for us already, and his goals against Cardiff and Charlton (I think) were absolutely amazing, premier league quality and goals I think nobody else could score in our team. Not sure where people are coming from when they say we won't miss him and he's not that good. 

I think recently has been the first time I can remember him having a bad spell in the side. If he had a rare bad game in previous seasons, then he'd usually soon bounce back from that. Don't know if his head is all over the place like we so often hear about players when linked with a possible transfer in the near future. Never really understood players not performing when that happens to be honest, but it seems to happen quite often.

Other than the last month or so I agree with you. Think he has been outstanding. Top quality midfielder at this level and very versatile and never seems to get injured. A great pro, plenty of experience, works his socks off and still very young so may improve further.

I think we can cope without him if we improve in other areas like up front. I'd bring in another defender too. And then bring back Morrell to give us something different.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think recently has been the first time I can remember him having a bad spell in the side. If he had a rare bad game in previous seasons, then he'd usually soon bounce back from that.

yes, agree.  Has been below par in several games from MIllwall onwards.

Don't know if his head is all over the place like we so often hear about players when linked with a possible transfer in the near future. Never really understood players not performing when that happens to be honest, but it seems to happen quite often.

Yeah, one us mere mortals can’t get our head around.  Who knows whether it’s true.

Other than the last month or so I agree with you. Think he has been outstanding.

Thought he had a quieter spell earlier this season, when playing more cautiously to help HNM bed-in, but wouldn’t have said he was poor, just less dynamic.  Then came back strong at Huddersfield and Fulham when freed up.

Top quality midfielder at this level and very versatile and never seems to get injured. A great pro, plenty of experience, works his socks off and still very young so may improve further.

Wouldn’t call him top quality, but good at most things without having any real spectacular element.  Perhaps best when driving on to give and go’s.  Got good habits, and Prem clubs will like that.

I think we can cope without him if we improve in other areas like up front. I'd bring in another defender too. And then bring back Morrell to give us something different.

definitely sensible thinking.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Most of our players are Premier League players in waiting. Trouble is, we've been waiting ****-in ages

Archived