IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

55 minutes ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Marcus Maddison could be a good replacement for Josh? A double raid on P’boro for Maddison & Toney.

They are different players. Maddison more of a 10 and spend some time on the wings. He is 3 years older than Josh as well. This wouldn’t make sense to me. 

On 22/01/2020 at 21:39, Kid in the Riot said:

We're definitely making plans incase he does go. Have made enquiries about two Championship midfielders. 

On 23/01/2020 at 08:45, Kid in the Riot said:

And actually more of an AM/10 so wouldn't be Brownhill's replacement. My bad!

Was also on trial with us a few years ago (though can't say I ever recall hearing about it).....?

Please tell me we didn't enquire about Eze? ( after reading the article on the main forum)

I'd rather get 8-9 for Brownhill and sign Toney than do a 3 million and Wells exchange deal.

As long as the Toney price isn't ridiculous of course. No way will it be the figures they're asking for.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'd rather get 8-9 for Brownhill and sign Toney than do a 3 million and Wells exchange deal.

As long as the Toney price isn't ridiculous of course. No way will it be the figures they're asking for.

Plus they will want Szmodics on a permanent as part of any deal, i suspect.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Plus they will want Szmodics on a permanent as part of any deal, i suspect.

Yep. I actually think Szmodics may become really good at this level. But it may make sense to use him in the deal if it means getting Toney. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

'IF Wells signs he will fire us into the playoffs....proven in the championship & very much smashing it in...

No way we can be sure Toney will hit the net at this level..let alone spearhead a possible promotion push.

No brainer ...

2 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

We won't lose Josh this window. 

However you will more than likely see him in a Burnley shirt for the start of the 20/21 season provided things go well with the Wells signing. 

Sounding very sure of yourself...

Personally be quite happy for Josh to go this window if we can get more than his summer £7m release clause, whether straight cash or exchange for Vydra/Wells.

On 14/01/2020 at 13:04, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've read that there might have been one as part of the settlement. We signed him on a free but there will have been some settlement because of his age, offered contract etc.

Maybe @pnefcok or @Mortis could shed some light.

@Coppello also- is it possible for a player who has left on a tribunal/free or however it was, as he was a free but we surely had to settle in 2016 as he was under 24, to have a sell on clause?

Our local paper saying there's a sell-on.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/former-preston-north-end-midfielder-could-land-the-lilywhites-a-cash-boost-1-10222829

On 23/01/2020 at 10:33, underhanded said:

interesting...Whenever I've seen him I've rated him. Looks incredibly strong and deceptively quick. Add to that, my friend watched Cardiff Huddersfield back in the autumn and said he was the best player on the pitch.

Opinions eh!

Chalobah is really a centre back.

Maybe we can get him on loan next season.

Could have him and Moore playing either side of Kalas in a back 3.

On 25/01/2020 at 13:31, Robert the bruce said:

'IF Wells signs he will fire us into the playoffs....proven in the championship & very much smashing it in...

No way we can be sure Toney will hit the net at this level..let alone spearhead a possible promotion push.

No brainer ...

If financially feasible, that would be the sensible move. Use the summer for signings like Toney who'd probably need bedding in, use January to sign appropriate players for your league situation.

If you're gunning for the top 6, that's established players at the level who can hit the ground running and add to the first 11. Same way that if you're in danger of the bottom 6, that's often seasoned pros with a bit of steel, experience and discipline. 

Wells is exactly the signing we haven't made every time we've needed to under Johnson in January - either in the top 6 or just outside. Instead we've taken risks or signed no-one.

I hope we can work out the finances for this, because Wells is obviously the most sensible option.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If financially feasible, that would be the sensible move. Use the summer for signings like Toney who'd probably need bedding in, use January to sign appropriate players for your league situation.

If you're gunning for the top 6, that's established players at the level who can hit the ground running and add to the first 11. Same way that if you're in danger of the bottom 6, that's often seasoned pros with a bit of steel, experience and discipline. 

Wells is exactly the signing we haven't made every time we've needed to under Johnson in January - either in the top 6 or just outside. Instead we've taken risks or signed no-one.

I hope we can work out the finances for this, because Wells is obviously the most sensible option.

also we can afford to lose brownhill, we have cover in central midfield as well as 3 very good young central midfielders out on loan (Walsh, bakinson and Morrell)

Swap deals don;t normally happen but I can see this one,

1 hour ago, Judda said:

A few people quoted this before, reading it as Wells & £3.5m to equal a £7m total.

I don't think it's that, I think it's a straight up Wells for Brownhill swap.

Not sure I'd do that, although it is tempting.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

also we can afford to lose brownhill, we have cover in central midfield as well as 3 very good young central midfielders out on loan (Walsh, bakinson and Morrell)

Swap deals don;t normally happen but I can see this one,

I think the reason this has to be a p/ex (not a swap, I agree a pure swap is rare) is probably down to wages and FFP.

I don't think we have much to work with financially this window, I only have a small understanding thanks to @Davefevs and @Mr Popodopolous posts on FFP, but it seems we have to be a bit creative to get deals over the line.

I think Wells would be one of (if not our highest) earner so we'd need to balance things out a bit. Brownhill, especially being captain, probably earns a decent amount. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey Wright was on decent money too. I think it might take Brownhill and Wright's wages to afford someone like Wells. 

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the reason this has to be a p/ex (not a swap, I agree a pure swap is rare) is probably down to wages and FFP.

I don't think we have much to work with financially this window, I only have a small understanding thanks to @Davefevs and @Mr Popodopolous posts on FFP, but it seems we have to be a bit creative to get deals over the line.

I think Wells would be one of (if not our highest) earner so we'd need to balance things out a bit. Brownhill, especially being captain, probably earns a decent amount. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey Wright was on decent money too. I think it might take Brownhill and Wright's wages to afford someone like Wells. 

from other posters, they think we have about 3 million to work with, that was before we sent players out on loan so loan fees aren't accounted for,

thats not to sat we can't afford to spend 10 million but we'd have to spread over 4 years which in turn will effect next season's budget, (that ties in with ashton working 2 transfer windows in advance comments)

I do believe regardless of us getting promoted, both Brownhill and Elliason will not be here next season, there are much bigger clubs then us after them, and if we stay down we could rake in about 23 million for the pair imo

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

from other posters, they think we have about 3 million to work with, that was before we sent players out on loan so loan fees aren't accounted for,

thats not to sat we can't afford to spend 10 million but we'd have to spread over 4 years which in turn will effect next season's budget, (that ties in with ashton working 2 transfer windows in advance comments)

I do believe regardless of us getting promoted, both Brownhill and Elliason will not be here next season, there are much bigger clubs then us after them, and if we stay down we could rake in about 23 million for the pair imo

I think, contract situation permitting*, Eliasson will go for a fortune. I wouldn't be that surprised if he leaves for a fee bigger than Webster. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he renews on the proviso we let him go for a large fee in the summer.  

I think if we get promoted though he'd stay. Think Brownhill will go regardless.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think, contract situation permitting*, Eliasson will go for a fortune. I wouldn't be that surprised if he leaves for a fee bigger than Webster. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he renews on the proviso we let him go for a large fee in the summer.  

I think if we get promoted though he'd stay. Think Brownhill will go regardless.

not if Lazio and celtic are sniffing, but I think he would have to be celtics record buy (I'm think 15 million with addons taking it to about 22 million) the chance to play in the champions league would be too good to turn down which in turn would boost his international chances

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

not if Lazio and celtic are sniffing, but I think he would have to be celtics record buy (I'm think 15 million with addons taking it to about 22 million) the chance to play in the champions league would be too good to turn down which in turn would boost his international chances

Obviously I'd like Elliasson to sign a new contract and stay but he can do better than either Celtic, who would have to smash their transfer record to sign him, and those fascists at Lazio, who I also doubt could afford him thankfully. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

True, think it'll come down to money. He's still young so feasibly can be told 'stay with us in the PL for a season, and even bigger clubs might be interested'. We're just 'wildly speculating' at this point but i'll be sad to see him go either way - great player. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Obviously I'd like Elliasson to sign a new contract and stay but he can do better than either Celtic, who would have to smash their transfer record to sign him, and those fascists at Lazio, who I also doubt could afford him thankfully. 

both are much bigger clubs, both will have champions league money (the way the current season is panning out) both could afford him

Archived