IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

8 hours ago, HayBCFC said:

Jackson Irvine please.

He’d be someone I’d like to see us go for. Stylistically we need someone more attacking as Nagy, HNM and Smith are all relatively defensive so someone like Will Vaulks doesn’t make sense as a Brownhill replacement.

Jackson Irvine is a great suggestion, wanted us to sign him for years. I actually think he might be more effective for us than Brownhill.

9 hours ago, YorksRed said:

Burnley has a population of 88k and its a pretty poor area, whereas Bristol has a population of 540k and must be one of the most economically strong and affluent cities in the country

Not football related but some parts of Bristol are in the top 1% of the most deprived places in England - predominantly, but not exclusively, in South Bristol. 

44 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’d be someone I’d like to see us go for. Stylistically we need someone more attacking as Nagy, HNM and Smith are all relatively defensive so someone like Will Vaulks doesn’t make sense as a Brownhill replacement.

Jackson Irvine is a great suggestion, wanted us to sign him for years. I actually think he might be more effective for us than Brownhill.

Funny how certain players keep popping up. I like Irvine too. My other player was Norwood a few years back when Pack was rumoured to be off. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Funny how certain players keep popping up. I like Irvine too. My other player was Norwood a few years back when Pack was rumoured to be off. 

I like Norwood, good player.

If we signed Irvine (in addition to Afobe) that would be 2/3 players I’ve been banging on about for years. The other is Darikwa at Forest!

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I liked the guy at Huddersfield, Bacuna? he looked their only threat when we beat them. I think we need a player who can take a man on and commit defenders. I know nothing about him other than that, if someone tells me he is touted at £20m or something then I wouldn’t be at all surprised.

If Wells comes in I fully expect Palmer to replace Brownhill in that central attacking role. I think we'd set up like so when wanting to attack:
                   Wells Diedhiou
Eliasson                                     Patto
                          Palmer 
                           Smith
DaSilva      Baker       Kalas      Hunt
                         Bentley

I think it would be versatile as it could work as a 4-1-3-2, a 4-4-2 or even a 4-3-3 with Eliasson and Patto dropping back and Palmer pushing up

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

If Wells comes in I fully expect Palmer to replace Brownhill in that central attacking role. I think we'd set up like so when wanting to attack:
                   Wells Diedhiou
                          Palmer 
                           Smith
                         Bentley

I think it would be versatile as it could work as a 4-1-3-2, a 4-4-2 or even a 4-3-3 with Eliasson and Patto dropping back and Palmer pushing up

Not much strength / power in defensive midfield. Have to play very intensive hi press game. 

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Wells Diedhiou
                          Palmer 
                           Smith
                         Bentley

I can't see any prospect of us lining up like that, far too gung-ho. Would be exciting though!

Palmer and Brownhill have very different strengths and I think Johnson would only ever play 2 of Paterson/Eliasson/Palmer. 

I'm pretty sure we will look to replace Brownhill, but it'd need to be someone more box-to-box than Palmer who has similar traits to Brownhill.

As said earlier, I'd really like to see us target Jackson Irvine as his replacement but not sure how feasible that is. Unfortunately decent players of that style tend to be fairly pricey in today's market. 

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Wells Diedhiou
                          Palmer 
                           Smith
                         Bentley

We would get absolutely shafted on the counter. 

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Wells Diedhiou
                          Palmer 
                           Smith
                         Bentley

Essentially a 5-0-5 formation and absolutely no chance of winning in midfield 

?

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Kasey Palmer ? 
The forgotten man at Ashton Gate . What did we pay for him ? 3 million ?

I really rate Palmer and would start him most weeks, I'm just not too sure about him playing deeper like Brownhill does. Not sure he's got the engine to get up & down like him either. 

I don't see him as a direct replacement, but then again, who saw Romaine Sawyers playing in the position he does nowadays. 

27 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Not much strength / power in defensive midfield. Have to play very intensive hi press game. 

22 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Essentially a 5-0-5 formation and absolutely no chance of winning in midfield 

?

Not really, it depends how you set up, a lot of teams that play this way have the "front five" pressure whilst the back 5 mark options and close down spaces, it looks demanding but none of the front five need to be able to tackle, just able to close down space and angles, that's something you do in training and build on. 

This notion that we need 6-7 defensive players is a large part of the issue, we don't trust our defenders enough to allow our attacking players to create so we go big with defenders/ defensive players and then when we get the ball our only options tend to be a long hoof to Fammy, get the ball wide to Eliasson to carry or try a quick counter with the few attacking players we have.

All of the teams who get promoted tend to be able to score a lot, last season we scored 59 goals, Norwich scored 93,  Sheffield United scored 78 and Villa scored 82. Prior to that season Wolves scored 82 , Cardiff City scored 69 and Fulham scored 79. You could argue that Cardiffs goals is an attainable statistic but then you have to look at the goals conceeded in which Cardiff conceded 39 all season, we are currently 29 games in and have already conceded 40.

Simply put, we're not scoring enough goals to get promoted and we're not strong enough defensively to get promoted off of the strength we have in defence.

All in all I'd love a replacement for Brownhill but his technique and ability are massively under-rated by many of our fans and finding someone of his quality is no easy task, especially so close to the transfer deadline date in January where in most cases you overpay, especially when another club knows you're desperate.

6 minutes ago, Swede said:

I like the sound of that if true. ???

We don't know if it is true though, part of both fees could be instalments, you also then factor in whatever Preston have as a sell on, probably at least 10%. 

I hope we do get in a decent replacement, but I don't think it'll be £6m!

Archived