IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

19 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Plays in he Nagy position though, so not really a replacement for Brownhill? 

Nagy can move the ball forward but not from the same forward areas as Brownhill I mean? 

With Nagy being injured the last few month, loaning Morrell doesn’t seem like a great choice, considering they seem to be like for like (although it very much did it at the time!).

Seriously hope Morrell can be considered the back up to Nagy next season as learning off Adam could seriously aid his development, and leave us with 2 seriously good and dynamic CDMs, a definite upgrade from Pack. 

Could even play Morrell and Nagy together. 2 technically gifted holders protecting the defence. 

I'd like to keep Brownhill here till the summer, and if we don't go up then accept crazy money from prem sides.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

If a Leeds or a West Brom come in for him I expect he will want to go.

I don’t buy that, we are doing just about as well as both of those teams, he’s captain of a team pushing for promotion at a club that are probably more stable than any other club in the division, we have a young squad that is improving year on year & he’s working under a head coach that he clearly trusts & who clearly trusts him & he really likes the city where he’s living.

At 24, he’s not exactly earning peanuts here & if there is a new contract to be offered, he’ll be looking at another pay rise. The grass isn’t always greener, look how things worked out for Carey & Murray when they chased the extra money & Pack & Flint haven’t exactly progressed their careers since leaving us.

Josh has a lot going for him here.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Pack & Flint haven’t exactly progressed their careers since leaving us.

At their ages it probably wasn't about their careers though, was it. Flint took a move to Boro thinking it was probably his last chance for a big deal - then he gets a further move to Cardiff and he must be absolutely quids in. Same for Marlon. An offer he couldn't turn down at a time when City wanted to also move on in footballing terms. 

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

At their ages it probably wasn't about their careers though, was it. Flint took a move to Boro thinking it was probably his last chance for a big deal - then he gets a further move to Cardiff and he must be absolutely quids in. Same for Marlon. An offer he couldn't turn down at a time when City wanted to also move on in footballing terms. 

Oh yeah, agreed but in both cases it was the players that instigated the moves & both were probably expecting that leaving us would enhance their chances of making to the Premier League. 
If City make it there, the money they could of made & the prestige of having played there would far outweigh what their moves have made them & as I said, the grass isn’t always greener!

Moving away from somewhere that both were happy living to chase a bit of extra money seems a risk & let’s be honest, it’s not like they were being paid penny’s here. I just think Josh would be silly to not weigh everything up, what he has here now, he’d struggle to get that whole package somewhere else & for what, a few extra quid when in reality he’s probably earning more than enough to see him through if he continued here.

23 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Oh yeah, agreed but in both cases it was the players that instigated the moves & both were probably expecting that leaving us would enhance their chances of making to the Premier League. 
If City make it there, the money they could of made & the prestige of having played there would far outweigh what their moves have made them & as I said, the grass isn’t always greener!

Moving away from somewhere that both were happy living to chase a bit of extra money seems a risk & let’s be honest, it’s not like they were being paid penny’s here. I just think Josh would be silly to not weigh everything up, what he has here now, he’d struggle to get that whole package somewhere else & for what, a few extra quid when in reality he’s probably earning more than enough to see him through if he continued here.

Maybe Prem was a goal but their's are short careers and a lot of life after football has to be financed. Let's face it wherever these guys move to they'll live in a decent area, probably near some of their team-mates and the quality of life will still be decent anyway. Fair play to them. 

21 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Ask for 25m.

Accept 20m

Exactly this, ask high & it can be negotiated down, you never tend to hear of asking low & then bringing someone up, from a seller’s point of view.

We shouldn’t be in any rush to sell, so if someone wants him, they’ll have to make it worth our while.

I'd rather we kept Brownhill but, if he did go, I'd rather we recalled Morrell and Walsh to add squad depth to Smith, Massengo and Nagy rather than spent a fortune  on a direct replacement. A striker is more of a priority and we could use some of the budget to make Pereira permanent and maybe buy a midfielder who is where Brownhill was when he joined us.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd rather we kept Brownhill but, if he did go, I'd rather we recalled Morrell and Walsh to add squad depth to Smith, Massengo and Nagy rather than spent a fortune  on a direct replacement. A striker is more of a priority and we could use some of the budget to make Pereira permanent and maybe buy a midfielder who is where Brownhill was when he joined us.

20m from the webster sale + 15m-20 for brownhill.... should get us a decent striker!!

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

£20m from Webster has surely been spent on Kalas, Dasilva, Nagy, Massengo, Afobe loan etc. I know Webster was later but the club must have budgeted for it in our summer recruit.

13m-17m Lloyd Kelly?

6 hours ago, Super said:

If a Leeds or a West Brom come in for him I expect he will want to go.

He may well want to go but the club are in a good negotiating position and I can not believe for one minute they would consider selling to a championship rival in January. No doubt we would listen to offers in the summer if we don't go up but those offers would need to be £15-£20 million +

On 16/11/2019 at 16:03, Lanterne Rouge said:

That goal at Cardiff will have stuck a million on whatever we had in mind before the game. How long`s he got left on his contract?

We`d be a bit naïve if we weren`t at least giving some thought to what we would do if a bid was received. Personally, I think bids in the summer are more likely.

I thought his winner against Charlton was far more impressive. That was a composed finish in the final seconds of a game, 1 point or 3 points rode on that shot. How he brought it down and controlled it and slotted it away was superb.

The Cardiff goal was a great goal, no doubt about that, but most midfielders will score a goal like that at some point in their careers. Not sure the same could be said for the Charlton goal.

18 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I thought his winner against Charlton was far more impressive. That was a composed finish in the final seconds of a game, 1 point or 3 points rode on that shot. How he brought it down and controlled it and slotted it away was superb.

The Cardiff goal was a great goal, no doubt about that, but most midfielders will score a goal like that at some point in their careers. Not sure the same could be said for the Charlton goal.

I probably agree the Charlton goal is a better one. To be running at pace, control that ball and smash it with weaker foot. That takes some talent to do that.

But then the goal against Cardiff was so much more than just a normal long shot. The technique to get it up and down. Had it just been a straight shot without the dip, I expect he goalie saves it. We really need Josh in more attacking areas to make full use of these things he can do.

On 17/11/2019 at 09:51, JonDolman said:

Good thing is if we sell for say 20 million, and maybe get a fair bit for Wright, Baker, Pato and Taylor, and even add Diedhiou to that list, that surely adds it up to 30m overall. And we won't need to replace Brownhill as we have Morrell. So a very good transfer kitty to bring in other positions, mainly strikers. So selling one of our best players again and possibly becoming stronger.

I don’t understand why people seem desperate to sell Baker - he’s a top defender at this level ...

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t understand why people seem desperate to sell Baker - he’s a top defender at this level ...

Mainly because of all the mistakes he has made for us. But also because he is not very good on the ball. 

I will be surprised if we offer him a new deal considering he is behind Kalas, Williams, and sometimes behind Moore, but will almost certainly be behind him when Moore hopefully improves as he gets older.

On 19/11/2019 at 22:21, BS4 on Tour... said:

Just read that if he gets selected on Sat it will be his 100th appearance for us. Even with his loan spell I’m surprised he has notched up that many. 

This is slightly reactionary but also not. I'm ok with the idea that we trade him.

I'd rather use the money on a defender and a striker than keep him and suffer this current team if that's a choice we have to make. I like him a lot, but we have other players who are decent central midfielders while we're desperate for Webster and Afobe types in January.

Archived