IGNORED

Josh Brownhill signs for Burnley; CONFIRMED

REDOXO

Big mistake to sell Brownhill, he is a vital component of our team, and is worth goals, energy, commitment and drive.

I am surprised we didn't wait to the Summer for this.  Why would you sell a top player when pushing for the play offs?

Can't understand the people on here saying it's no big deal as we have plenty of cover in midfield - well I don't agree, we don't have anyone else like Josh.

I am gutted.

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Big mistake to sell Brownhill, he is a vital component of our team, and is worth goals, energy, commitment and drive.

I am surprised we didn't wait to the Summer for this.  Why would you sell a top player when pushing for the play offs?

Can't understand the people on here saying it's no big deal as we have plenty of cover in midfield - well I don't agree, we don't have anyone else like Josh.

I am gutted.

Because it got us a player we have been missing since afoboe got injured

we needed a striker more then we needed brownhill we also would of lost him in the summer for a lot less then what we were paid yesterday

ontop of that it’s an area of the pitch we’ve actually still got strength and depth iit makes perfect football and business sense

it also means we are less constricted by ffp this window and the summer

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I must confess that I often wondered what the big fuss was , he never seemed to excel at anything but seemed to be a ‘ water carrier ‘. This season , in particular he has started to shine which evidently resulted in interest from higher placed clubs .

It’s something I’ve been trying to put my finger on.

I feel a wee bit emotional, the support on Twitter is exceptional and so many of our younger fans connected with him.

Its like one of your children has achieved something, it’s pride I guess. But again to your point, it’s difficult to pinpoint it.

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I am gutted.

City could not stand in his way when a PL club came calling. If they did then you’d have one unhappy player with his head turned.

Good move for all involved. 

26 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I am gutted.

Quite simply so we could get Wells in.

2 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

Fair play Josh move to a big club good luck

51 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Best of luck Josh. Fine player. Going to a great club.

I prefer the latter description of Burnley over the former.

I think Burnley are a small-ish club in a big division. I think Burnley achieve great things, despite not being a big club (Burnley are not a big club in the Championship, let alone the PL).

I think Burnley are a great example and inspiration for what can be achieved by clubs who are not big. Clubs like us. They are reason for us to remain hopeful as they help themselves to one of our better players (but not a great player. He's not that big either).

My lasting memory of Josh will be seeing him outside of the ground, a few weeks into the season, soon after he had signed.

He pulled up to the car park entrance behind the Atyeo stand, and the barrier was down. A security guard came up to him and Josh lowered the car window. Clearly the security guard didn't know him. I was out of earshot, so couldn't hear what was said. I saw Josh smile and mouth "Brownhill". The security guard looked at the names on his list, and then promptly raised the barrier. "Thankyou" Josh replied politely, as he drove through.

There was no look of dismay from Josh during this exchange, no rolling of eyes, or any hint of the "don't you know who I am attitude" that might have come from less humble individuals.

Top Man Josh, all the best for the future.

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I am gutted.

Because it suited us and it suited Josh.

Sometimes you don’t have a choice, sometimes the choice is easy even if reluctant.

It also sends the message to our players that although we strive to progress we won’t stand in the way of their careers. Work hard and be rewarded, although not always with us. 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I think Burnley are a small-ish club in a big division. I think Burnley achieve great things, despite not being a big club (Burnley are not a big club in the Championship, let alone the PL).

I think Burnley are a great example and inspiration for what can be achieved by clubs who are not big. Clubs like us. They are reason for us to remain hopeful as they help themselves to one of our better players (but not a great player. He's not that big either).

I think Burnley are very Josh. Nothing flash, not trying to be anything they aren’t. They aren’t the best but you can’t not like them either. Both of them are solid and stready. A great club for him I think. 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I am gutted.

We had no choice. 10m now or 7m in the summer?

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Your source was bang on mate!

Interesting that Burnley's interest was first reported back before Christmas so presumably conversations were being had for some time.

Perhaps the summer clause was known about in the game long before we caught wind?

Yes he’s always good with info, but I don’t push. My understanding it was interest plural, but the Burnley tie up made a win-win all round due to the Afobi/Nkethia situations.

I wouldn’t pretend to know anything about fee clauses, or how they work in individual  cases, however in a case like this its still a matter of the best deal and this made sense for all parties. Weighing up of the value of what used to be called a make weight signing is down to the clubs....But Wells is some makeweight!

Today is a big day. I am not convinced on anything as MA has his work cut out. Incomings and outgoing still very possible I reckon.

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Twice winners of the top division, FA Cup winners once and twice Charity Shield winners.

Runners up in the first division twice and FA Cup twice also.

One of the founding league members and only about 10 seasons ever at the level that is now League 2.

Historically much bigger than us, with 3 major honours to our 0.

On 30/01/2020 at 10:14, RedDave said:

Blimey I hope not. Smith doing all the work in midfield on his own?! Madness if we line up like that 

Been plenty of teams who go about it the same way, just requires the strikers to do a lot of pressuring from the front. It's dangerous I agree but there are plenty of teams who turn the screw constantly to prevent the opposition from ever getting any momentum, we tend to do the opposite, sit back, soak it up and counter, we genuinely need to be able to take the game to the opposition too.

I'd also like to see a 4-4-1-1 with Fammy playing the deeper striker, Elliasson and  Pato on the wings with Massengo and Smith sitting deeper so when we attack it could change to a 4-2-2-2.

Love Josh, and its OK he goes with my blessing, like Joe, Lloyd, Bobby and to an extent Tammy i'm proud of them as a loving parent would be, sad to see them go but only wish them the very best.

I knew and accept this would happen, and you know what it's fine, its what SL decided 10 yrs ago as the direction he wanted to take the club backed by fans, focus on youth, develop players, improve off the pitch, and one day, once we reach the promised land we may get to keep them ? 

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

Been plenty of teams who go about it the same way, just requires the strikers to do a lot of pressuring from the front. It's dangerous I agree but there are plenty of teams who turn the screw constantly to prevent the opposition from ever getting any momentum, we tend to do the opposite, sit back, soak it up and counter, we genuinely need to be able to take the game to the opposition too.

I'd also like to see a 4-4-1-1 with Fammy playing the deeper striker, Elliasson and  Pato on the wings with Massengo and Smith sitting deeper so when we attack it could change to a 4-2-2-2.

Who are these teams?

59 minutes ago, Spike said:

Millwall’s 343 was one that pressed from their front 3 and WBs, especially Romeo, very high.

Archived