IGNORED

Harry Kane - England Goal Machine

reddogkev

Haven't seen much chat on here about Harry Kane, who (if not already) will go on to become an England legend.

I think it's safe to predict that he will break the England goal scoring record by some distance.

What a quality, deadly player; must be one of the top strikers in the world.  I'd dare say Lewandowski may be better, but Kane must be in the top 2 or 3.

His finishing is exceptional and what's more he makes it look all so simple.  Also remains calm and laid back.  I wonder where he will go after Spurs, assuming he doesn't decide to stay there for life.

I'd love to see him try a couple of seasons with either Madrid, Barcelona, or even Bayern Munich.

Will he go down in history as our greatest ever striker?

20 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Haven't seen much chat on here about Harry Kane, who (if not already) will go on to become an England legend.

I think it's safe to predict that he will break the England goal scoring record by some distance.

What a quality, deadly player; must be one of the top strikers in the world.  I'd dare say Lewandowski may be better, but Kane must be in the top 2 or 3.

His finishing is exceptional and what's more he makes it look all so simple.  Also remains calm and laid back.  I wonder where he will go after Spurs, assuming he doesn't decide to stay there for life.

I'd love to see him try a couple of seasons with either Madrid, Barcelona, or even Bayern Munich.

I thought much the same about Michael Owen 20 years ago and that didn't quite work out as planned so not counting any chickens with harry Kane either...

Kane 

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I thought much the same about Michael Owen 20 years ago and that didn't quite work out as planned so not counting any chickens with harry Kane either...

Kane and Owen totally different players I feel, got a feeling Kane will be around for a long time for England 

Kane looks a natural finisher. One of those strikers where you think what does he do that makes him so good at that he does.. and you can't put a finger on it. No great pace. Okay in the air quite strong yada yada yada but nothing that springs out other than finishing. So all I can think is that it is movement the ability to make space and that thing you cannot teach finishing ability.

They guy could prove to be our greatest finisher. But he is only one bad injury away from not even getting to 40.

Here is hoping he goes in to break more records. One thing going for him longevity.. he is never going to rely on pace so is not going to lose much of it.

12 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Yeah, there is always the hamstring caveat! Only major injuries will stop Kane beating Rooney's record. 

40 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Kane's numbers have never been in doubt and he may go on to top the goalscoring chart.

But for me, he lacks poetry. As TRL says above, he has no outstanding playing attributes but the skills he does have all seem to come together and just make him very, very good at scoring goals.

I don't particularly enjoy watching him play though and rarely do you see him do something and go "wow". 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Kane's numbers have never been in doubt and he may go on to top the goalscoring chart.

But for me, he lacks poetry. As TRL says above, he has no outstanding playing attributes but the skills he does have all seem to come together and just make him very, very good at scoring goals.

I don't particularly enjoy watching him play though and rarely do you see him do something and go "wow". 

You could be describing Lewandowski there as well.

No doubt that Kane is a good goal scorer and he’ll likely overtake Rooney but for England he scores regularly against some pretty ordinary opposition. I know that they still have to be beaten and somebody has to score them yada, yada but the goals that really matter are the ones that beat top opposition and win us tournaments. In truth, few English strikers have ever done that (one probably). It’s difficult to assess how he stacks up against a Lineker or a Rooney but whilst, as I said, he’s good to me I’m not yet convinced that he is or will be a great.

Score some against top opposition like say, Estwatini and I may change my mind. 

Some people think Kane can't do anything other than finish. Personally I think he is superb in many more areas than just finishing.

Touch, strength, intelligent movement and decision making. He is so good at losing his marker and disappearing into the defenders blind spot. 

He is very good in the air, fantastic passer of the ball and got deceptive pace. Certainly mobile enough to get onto through passes.  He is capable of beating a player too on the ball. Works hard off it too. Has that world class composure and is very consistent. I can't see a weakness to be honest.

Obviously his finishing is his biggest strength with either foot or head. His shooting ability is incredible. The way he takes awkward shots, often early that surprise the defenders and goalie. His running style when running with the ball seems to make it hard to judge when he's going to strike at goal. He is deadly anywhere around the box.

To be fair I expect if you put Tammy or Wilson as our main striker, they'd score plenty when more often than not we are playing poor opponents, and we have such brilliant service in our world class wingers we have and attacking full backs and midfielders full of creativity.

It's why I never really cared much about Rooney's goals for England. I think Crouch and Welbeck had a better goalscoring rate per game. Whoever is regularly playing will score plenty. It's what they can do against the top sides under pressure is what matters.

And all this goalscoring record nonsense is really doing my head in. ITV just keep saying it over and over. We seem obsessed in this country about player records for England, and who the captain is etc. It's a team game. I don't find it interesting at all, as we can't compare the last 10-20 years with the hundred plus before that when there were less games, and might not have been so many easy games either.

But just on how good Kane is. He is proper world class imo.

34 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Michael Owen played way too many games in his younger years and had an injury that back then, they didnt know how to fix properly.

Totally different scenario

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Michael Owen played way too many games in his younger years and had an injury that back then, they didnt know how to fix properly.

I said the other week about Michael Owen on here. I know everyone says, and he does too, that his injuries caused him to lose his pace. And no doubt that may have contributed. 

But it's interesting that Vardy is still just as quick as ever and nearly 33. What Vardy has done to stay so light and fast is not do any strength training in his whole career. 

I remember when Michael Owen was unbelievably quick and deadly in the box and on the shoulder of defenders. I remember in those early years of his career during commentary of a Liverpool game Martin Tyler saying how Owen is doing a lot of work in the gym to bulk up to improve his game.

I remember thinking surely he should just aim to continue with that same physique that was doing him so well. He was impossible to deal with and seemed to be coping fine physically with big centre halves.

I believe all that gym work may have slowed him down. And who knows, it may have contributed to his injury problems too.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I said the other week about Michael Owen on here. I know everyone says, and he does too, that his injuries caused him to lose his pace. And no doubt that may have contributed. 

But it's interesting that Vardy is still just as quick as ever and nearly 33. What Vardy has done to stay so light and fast is not do any strength training in his whole career. 

I remember when Michael Owen was unbelievably quick and deadly in the box and on the shoulder of defenders. I remember in those early years of his career during commentary of a Liverpool game Martin Tyler saying how Owen is doing a lot of work in the gym to bulk up to improve his game.

I remember thinking surely he should just aim to continue with that same physique that was doing him so well. He was impossible to deal with and seemed to be coping fine physically with big centre halves.

I believe all that gym work may have slowed him down. And who knows, it may have contributed to his injury problems too.

Owen's Hamstring came way apparently. Nowadays they have the know how to put it back properly through surgery - Owen says back then they just allowed it to heal itself, which it doesnt - and that created lots of issues for him apparently.

You can find interviews online where he talks about it and explains it alot better than i just did ?

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Owen's Hamstring came way apparently. Nowadays they have the know how to put it back properly through surgery - Owen says back then they just allowed it to heal itself, which it doesnt - and that created lots of issues for him apparently.

You can find interviews online where he talks about it and explains it alot better than i just did ?

Maybe it was simply down to that then! Shame as he could have been world class as long as he had his pace. 

He seemed to lose it quite early, and although he always scored goals for England, I didn't really think he was that great after the injuries. He needed Heskey there alongside him. Like 2 players doing 1 mans job and leaving us outnumbered in midfield.

1 hour ago, Mr Roper said:

Kane and Owen totally different players I feel, got a feeling Kane will be around for a long time for England 

29 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I wasn't trying to liken the two as players, just saying that it is far from a formality he will end up as the highest scorer and to not take it for granted. I'm sure Harry Kane won't be.

With no injuries he will go on to break the record comfortably.

His movement, finishing, hold up play and touch are what makes him. His passing isn’t bad either. 

He isn’t the kind of flashy striker who will beat 5 men etc but for a centre forward he is probably in top few in the world and England are lucky to have him. 

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

No doubt that Kane is a good goal scorer and he’ll likely overtake Rooney but for England he scores regularly against some pretty ordinary opposition. I know that they still have to be beaten and somebody has to score them yada, yada but the goals that really matter are the ones that beat top opposition and win us tournaments. In truth, few English strikers have ever done that (one probably). It’s difficult to assess how he stacks up against a Lineker or a Rooney but whilst, as I said, he’s good to me I’m not yet convinced that he is or will be a great.

Score some against top opposition like say, Estwatini and I may change my mind. 

He's far better than Rooney

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He's far better than Rooney

Nobody's reading this so tell this to nobody James, because I'll categorically deny I ever said it, but I have never rated Rooney (I know I'm not a good judge and I've now condemned us to have him score when next we play Derby). I'm not actually saying that I don't rate Kane - just that I can't yet consider him in the 'great' category and won't until his international goals count for something.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Nobody's reading this so tell this to nobody James, because I'll categorically deny I ever said it, but I have never rated Rooney (I know I'm not a good judge and I've now condemned us to have him score when next we play Derby). I'm not actually saying that I don't rate Kane - just that I can't yet consider him in the 'great' category and won't until his international goals count for something.

Do you count Messi or Ronaldo as international greats, given that neither of them has ever scored a goal in the knockout stage of a World Cup (and Emile Heskey has more goals in the knockout stage of the World Cup than either of them)?

And how about Lewandowski?

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I actually fully agree with you on Rooney. Good job nobody is reading this!

10 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Do you count Messi or Ronaldo as international greats, given that neither of them has ever scored a goal in the knockout stage of a World Cup (and Emile Heskey has more goals in the knockout stage of the World Cup than either of them)?

And how about Lewandowski?

Both Messi and Ronaldo have scored goals in sides that have won in their continental tournament haven't they?

(Googled after typing, Argentina haven't won theirs).

As well as both being exceptional players at club level.

I do wonder if both Argentina and to a lesser extent Portugal have actually performed worse because they (rely might be the wrong word) focus their play through these players, instead of building a team that also gets the best out of their other talents.

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Both Messi and Ronaldo have scored goals in sides that have won in their continental tournament haven't they?

(Googled after typing, Argentina haven't won theirs).

As well as both being exceptional players at club level.

I do wonder if both Argentina and to a lesser extent Portugal have actually performed worse because they (rely might be the wrong word) focus their play through these players, instead of building a team that also gets the best out of their other talents.

Ronaldo scored one goal in four knockout matches at Euro 2016, against Wales (Daniel Sturridge and Jamie Vardy also scored against Wales in that same tournament, but sadly not in the knockout stages). And he hobbled off injured in the final, well before their winning goal. 

Portugal’s win at Euro 2016 wasn’t as reliant on Ronaldo as some would have you believe. A solid defence and a wise manager were equally as important as Ronaldo’s contribution, particularly in light of the ‘1 goal in 4 knockout games’ stat. 

Archived