IGNORED

Steve Phillips randomness

jellyred

57 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I expect many of us have been served a pint or two by the Cheese in one of the pubs he used to run.  Was also served a pint by Trevor Jacobs in the Baccy Jar many years ago.

I was at primary school with his lads, even back in those days I was in awe of anyone who had played for City

I installed a telly for Andy May just after he signed for City, he was living in Dursley at the time.

And a few years later I went into an office to repair the phones (change of career obviously) and was met by the manager, Paul Cheesley who had been my childhood hero after appearing on the cover of 'the observers book of football' scoring against Arsenal.

I was reduced to a mumbling wreck and could not talk to him about football or City.

6 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Told this before but when at school in the mid 60s going down the corridor to morning assembly 'Big John" walks around the corner. I can't stop staring, my boyhood hero doing some teacher training at my school. Unfortunately he didn't take my class.

Was that Henbury Comprehensive as I had the same experience. 

14 minutes ago, Spoons said:

No he's not. 

Ok.... I saw him, in (What appeared to be) a postman’s uniform, in winscombe, last week. 
I concluded, apparently wrongly, what he was doing, but it can’t be too far off what he’s now doing. 
Or he has a doppelgänger, who’s a postman in Winscombe..! 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ok.... I saw him, in (What appeared to be) a postman’s uniform, in winscombe, last week. 
I concluded, apparently wrongly, what he was doing, but it can’t be too far off what he’s now doing. 
Or he has a doppelgänger, who’s a postman in Winscombe..! 

He's not a postman in winscombe or surrounding Bristol area must have a look alike! 

Plenty of ex city players have been.

33 minutes ago, Spoons said:

He's not a postman in winscombe or surrounding Bristol area must have a look alike! 

Plenty of ex city players have been.

I’m 99% certain it was him. I used to see him around clifton fairly regularly. Not sure what he was doing then, but was usually cycling. 

Then I saw him clearly in Winscombe and he was wearing a full postal uniform. 

If you are certain he’s not, then it must be his absolute spitting image..! 

14 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

No longer at Yeovil. He is now working at a college in Bridgwater and still has many goalkeeping clinics in the Somerset area. He was indeed fitter than most of the Yeovil squad. Used to see him out every morning running and at some pace as well. On a side note a couple of years ago his son was wanted by a number of clubs, City included, but I am not sure which club he ended up at. He is a goalkeeper as well by the way.

His son is with Southampton, excellent keeper.

18 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He probably moved down there because of all the abuse he has APPARENTLY had to put with from City fans over the years for moving to the Gas. As obviously he was such a great goalie who us fans were gutted to see leave us for our rivals!

I think most of us forgave him going there after his penalty save for us at the Mem that effectively put the gas down that season...✊

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Did they own Weston Pier too . . . 

No they didn't, but that was another fire that was dodgy as hell.  A lot of firms have suspicious fires when money gets tight and the truth is never revealed. 

Surprised that the Mem has notyetbeen engulfed.  That will go up pretty quickly if ignited but unlikely when they keep losing their matches.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

No they didn't, but that was another fire that was dodgy as hell.  A lot of firms have suspicious fires when money gets tight and the truth is never revealed. 

Surprised that the Mem has notyetbeen engulfed.  That will go up pretty quickly if ignited but unlikely when they keep losing their matches.

The Bradford City fire may well be one such. 

Played cricket against Phillips a couple of times. He played for Purnells out at Paulton. Fancied himself as bit of a Number 3 batsman. He shouldn't have been, he wasn't good enough.

Not surprisingly he kept wicket for them and stood up to the wickets constantly. Again, wasn't good enough to and let too many byes through.

Bit of a tit to be honest.

46 minutes ago, Malaggro CNF said:

Played cricket against Phillips a couple of times. He played for Purnells out at Paulton. Fancied himself as bit of a Number 3 batsman. He shouldn't have been, he wasn't good enough.

Not surprisingly he kept wicket for them and stood up to the wickets constantly. Again, wasn't good enough to and let too many byes through.

Bit of a tit to be honest.

I can attest to him being a tit.  Used to drink at Purnells and pubs in the surrounding areas, used to see Phillips regularly. 

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

I can attest to him being a tit.  Used to drink at Purnells and pubs in the surrounding areas, used to see Phillips regularly. 

Agree. Told this before about my only meeting with him. A few years back when I was working I went to the ground in my lunch break to renew my season ticket. On driving out I was behind his car, you know the one with the FLAPPA number plate. A car with its roof down, with an attractive young lady driving, came into the ground. Both stopped and started talking. I was unable to drive on and thought it would be a quick word so waited but they carried on. I could have tooted my horn but didn't want to appear to be rude so I got out and went to  SP's car and politely asked if he could pull out of the way as I had to get back to work. He looked at me as though I was a piece of sh*t. I got back in my car and he still didn't shift. I was about to get out again when the young lady pulled her car out of the way which allowed me to get past. This little incident told me all I needed to know about his character.

Archived