IGNORED

need to vent about new War of the worlds "adaptation"

Will Rollason

26 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Why can't they have a production that is faithful to the book? It's a cracking yarn.

exactly Mike. thats what i was hoping for but no, someone had to "re-imagine" it because it needed updating by shoe horning in lots of unneeded plot points and a token female role.

I mean theres probably a valid series to be written about the problems of divorce and living together without being married in that era.... SO GO AND WRITE ONE...

And its so badly scripted and clunky it verges on parody....

I dont like it. ?

Seems to me that the only story of War of the Worlds worth looking in to is the original by H.G. Wells. All the films made were very much 'adapted' to suit the contemporary audience, and even Orson Wells' radio play was so realistic to American listeners they panicked and ran for the hills!

What is particularly interesting is the fact that H.G. wrote the story as the tensions of pre-WWI Europe were getting seriously heavy and the context can be seen as allegorical. Even more remarkable is the fact that Wells was a staunch pacifist - and when war was declared he worked for the Ministry of Propaganda!

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Is it worth watching though? 

Have it recorded 

Am a massive WOTW fan 

I wasn’t particularly impressed but as there’s not much else to watch on a Sunday evening so will watch the next episode. 
The problem for me with WotW is that everyone knows what eventually happens..........:cool2:

7 hours ago, Erithacus said:

and even Orson Wells' radio play was so realistic to American listeners they panicked and ran for the hills!

Unfortunately that is a myth.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/war-of-the-worlds/

It's a great story though, panicked people running because of a radio play.  But it seems the real story there was the power of the media to manipulate the news to make people believe a panic had happened when it didn't. 

• Admin
On 19/11/2019 at 08:18, BS2 Red said:

Unfortunately that is a myth.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/war-of-the-worlds/

It's a great story though, panicked people running because of a radio play.  But it seems the real story there was the power of the media to manipulate the news to make people believe a panic had happened when it didn't. 

Interesting to read I honestly always thought it created panic 

Archived