IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham - Under The Cosh Podcast (Merged)

slartibartfast

4 minutes ago, BS3City said:

The talk of Tomlin's behaviour shows such an arrogant disdain for the club, particularly in light of how we really pushed the boat out to sign him. I remember being so excited when he actually signed.

Then you think about that penalty (against Burton was it?) probably still heading into orbit now.

It makes you think he did it on purpose...

Makes you wonder certainly...all players can miss penalties but like that!

57 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its not exact science.

Some clubs think it should be 6% some 18%. Sports like basketball a 20% is the norm. Marathon runners its 5%. What you see there is variation between body shapes in endo meso and ecto morphs. 

Tomlin's shape means he will carry more %. The expectation v body shape can be wholly unrealistic. It can also affect potential. Not saying that is the case but judging a player by a fat index is uneven.

What’s the scientific explanation for him being a total ***? 

7 minutes ago, BS3City said:

The talk of Tomlin's behaviour shows such an arrogant disdain for the club, particularly in light of how we really pushed the boat out to sign him. I remember being so excited when he actually signed.

Then you think about that penalty (against Burton was it?) probably still heading into orbit now.

I thought at the time he did it on purpose. I know that sounds crazy, but he could not have hit it any higher if he tried. And I think someone else was supposed to take it as well. Probably Cotterill, as Taylor was pointing to someone whilst having a go at Tomlin after he had skied it, and Tomlin did not look at all bothered that he had missed it either. 

Not sure how much longer Tomlin lasted in the side, but we would have gone down had he stayed in the team. Luckily LJ finally realised he had to be dropped. Took him too long but he got there in the end.

I found it strange that season that most on here were saying we have to play Tomlin behind Tammy. Even though he was absolutely diabolical in the majority of games. I really could not see what others were seeing.

We had a fat midfielder who wasn't trying and was even crap on the ball most of the time, constantly wanting too long and losing possession. He was offering nothing whatsoever. I remember even the Huddersfield 4-0 win, Tomlin scored, but was otherwise awful. Fans were all saying how amazing he was after that game.

It was strange looking back how much of a fan favourite he was when he was blatantly not trying in matches or bothering to get in shape. 

I get he was at times unbelievably good when on loan, but he was never that player when he signed permanently. But fans loved him the majority of the time he was with us. What a vile man he seems to be. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Its not exact science.

Some clubs think it should be 6% some 18%. Sports like basketball a 20% is the norm. Marathon runners its 5%. What you see there is variation between body shapes in endo meso and ecto morphs. 

Tomlin's shape means he will carry more %. The expectation v body shape can be wholly unrealistic. It can also affect potential. Not saying that is the case but judging a player by a fat index is uneven.

Within football I was under the impression that 5-9% was the expected norm, no? 

I hadn't though about the ecto-meso-endomorph problem at all. Clearly hasn't helped himself though. 

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought at the time he did it on purpose. I know that sounds crazy, but he could not have hit it any higher if he tried. And I think someone else was supposed to take it as well. Probably Cotterill, as Taylor was pointing to someone whilst having a go at Tomlin after he had skied it, and Tomlin did not look at all bothered that he had missed it either. 

Not sure how much longer Tomlin lasted in the side, but we would have gone down had he stayed in the team. Luckily LJ finally realised he had to be dropped. Took him too long but he got there in the end.

and his best bit of summer transfer business was getting rid of Tomlin to Cardiff, using a bit of gamesmanship in pre-season, getting it “out there” that he was gonna build the team around him.  Warnock took the bait!

I found it strange that season that most on here were saying we have to play Tomlin behind Tammy. Even though he was absolutely diabolical in the majority of games. I really could not see what others were seeing.

in fairness on his day (usually with sky cameras around) he is a talented boy, but comes with baggage.  Think Lee saw himself as being able to tame him.  Think it was a watershed for Lee in terms of realising what players he can work with.

We had a fat midfielder who wasn't trying and was even crap on the ball most of the time, constantly wanting too long and losing possession. He was offering nothing whatsoever. I remember even the Huddersfield 4-0 win, Tomlin scored, but was otherwise awful. Fans were all saying how amazing he was after that game.

sky gave him motm.  I didn’t think he was “all that” in that game either.

It was strange looking back how much of a fan favourite he was when he was blatantly not trying in matches or bothering to get in shape. 

I get he was at times unbelievably good when on loan, but he was never that player when he signed permanently. But fans loved him the majority of the time he was with us. What a vile man he seems to be.

I still think that the video with him and Wilbs during pre-season was the point where I realised we’d made a terrible mistake in signing him.  But such was the excitement of the fans, nobody would’ve agreed with me at the time.

38 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I hadn't though about the ecto-meso-endomorph problem at all. Clearly hasn't helped himself though. 

I'd expect all professional footballers to be around 10% bf regardless of body type.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah that Huddersfield game I remember he kept giving it away! Was a strange game as it just looked like Huddersfield were terrible, and not like a side right at the top. They certainly were not helped by a terrible injury to Hogg early in the game, a key player for them.

I think that season Tomlin barely played well to be honest. I remember thinking when is he going to get going, and maybe he just needs to get fit. But then he just seemed to get even worse. Him behind Tammy was never a good combination anyway. 

I remember fans being annoyed on here that he kept playing Tomlin wide left. But I remember many of his best games were actually wide left in a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 under Pemberton and then LJ when he was on loan.

I don't think it would have mattered where we played him. He clearly was not trying and should have been dropped a lot sooner than he was. We ended up with a very hard working side that kept us up, but not missing quality without Tomlin. Brownhill and Pato wide of a 4-4-2, with Taylor being an excellent partner for Tammy. There's no way Tomlin would have fit into such a team.

On Wilbs, it seems to me like he was not really a wise old man that would help sort Tomlin out, but more like one of the lads, that was maybe the wrong person to try to tame Tomlin. But lets face it, Tomlin was an unmanageable player. What you say about LJ saying he will build a team around Tomlin the following season I completely forgot about. I remember being petrified of the idea. And like you say, what a genius thing to say by LJ.

1 hour ago, BS3City said:

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Not a Tomlin fan but he also hit the bar from 30yards in the first couple of minutes in that game with a spectacular effort. I’d like to think that he didnt miss the penalty on purpose 

2 hours ago, FramptonRed said:

Made me laugh when Parkin said the Bristol accent’s the last one you want,cheeky ****,he sounds like a right tw##.

Exactly. 
After listening to him on this podcast I conclude that the worst accent to have is the disrespectful, sweary, dumb, fat, half-cut northern one which he so impressively displayed. 

4 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

There are variables v expected norms. Here is an individual who was fit enough to play football, would be fitter than most in society but still has a high body fat %. It can indicate the individual is genetically predisposed to store more fat in their body.

On 22/11/2019 at 20:24, Mr X said:

Agreed @Davefevs, I think we've discussed this very video before. It was absolutely obvious here what sort of guy Tomlin was and what a terrible influence he'd be. You can see that even from this YouTube snippet.

On 19/11/2019 at 15:10, Carey 6 said:

Really? Cotterill and Martin Allen he was both big fans of, thought that came across as quite obvious. 

FWIW I’m saying he preferred Cotterill, not that he dislikes Johnson. 

I got the impression he genuinely doesn't think much of Johnson at all. Only said good things about Cotterill, including floating that idea about what Cotterill could've done with Johnson's expenditure - the stories he told about Johnson imply that Johnson is a bit insecure I felt.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I got the impression he genuinely doesn't think much of Johnson at all. Only said good things about Cotterill, including floating that idea about what Cotterill could've done with Johnson's expenditure - the stories he told about Johnson imply that Johnson is a bit insecure I felt.

I wouldn’t go that far but everyone hears things differently. Compared to Keith Hill and Phil Parkinson he was fairly complimentary about LJ.
Nowhere near as much as Cotterill, but you’d be a strange one if you didn’t rate the man who signed you, played you, got you an extension and won you two trophies...

48 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

I wouldn’t go that far but everyone hears things differently. Compared to Keith Hill and Phil Parkinson he was fairly complimentary about LJ.
Nowhere near as much as Cotterill, but you’d be a strange one if you didn’t rate the man who signed you, played you, got you an extension and won you two trophies...

That's true, just what I inferred from it at first listen. Wilbraham seems a great guy though, I reckon he was excellent to have around the dressing room. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's true, just what I inferred from it at first listen. Wilbraham seems a great guy though, I reckon he was excellent to have around the dressing room. 

From the very little I heard from people he was a proper captain. Used to organise the players' prediction league and sort them out with everything, went round staff members' houses who'd helped him out with a bottle of something for Christmas, things like that.

bumping this to raise awareness of the new Clarke Carlisle one, they've just released it in two parts. Is really long but one of the best interviews/podcasts i've listen to all year, if not the best. What an amazing guy with crazy stories. Talks about his time under Cotts at Burnley too

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

bumping this to raise awareness of the new Clarke Carlisle one, they've just released it in two parts. Is really long but one of the best interviews/podcasts i've listen to all year, if not the best. What an amazing guy with crazy stories. Talks about his time under Cotts at Burnley too

Amazing guy? Really? Maybe I should give it a listen. Because while I understood he had some mental health issues he ruined alot of people's lives the way he tried to commit suicide. While obviously not thinking right he was incredibly selfish.

33 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Amazing guy? Really? Maybe I should give it a listen. Because while I understood he had some mental health issues he ruined alot of people's lives the way he tried to commit suicide. While obviously not thinking right he was incredibly selfish.

Listen to it and come back to me

On 04/12/2019 at 14:10, petehinton said:

Listened to this today, thought it was one of the best I've heardto be honest. Thanks for the heads up.

Listened to the first fifteen minutes then switched off - couldn't stand it for longer than that.

Two people too many around that table both spouting bollocks.

I'd like to hear what Carlisle has to say but not in that format - its shite.

Archived