IGNORED

Ashton Gate Stadium to go cashless

Sir Geoff

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you saying da gas had never thought of having half time draws at any time in their history before we did it?! I’m sure we didn’t invent them! And I seem to remember they had some clown with a mic on the pitch doing announcements when we played them at Twerton ...

Clown on the mike, with all the tents he would feel right at home now wouldn't he.

7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

This may seem a good idea by the young men in suits running things, for me it's no problem - I pay for everything I possibly can by card even if it's only a couple of quid - but look around AG on matchday and there's a very large ageing section of the fanbase....a sea of grey heads as I look along the Lansdown.  They'll probably just not bother buying anything rather than getting to grips with new tech.

This is the sort of thing that should be sounded out through fan groups and the SC & T (maybe it was?) and ...whisper it...the SLO.

How remarkably condescending.

My local garage has a minimum spend of £10 on a card, don't be surprised if something similar happens at the gate, there are bean counters out there who's job it is to maximise revenue, still think cash is a good way of budgeting, but perhaps that's just an age thing.

There some rather patronising and ageist posts on here. 

A lot of elder fans might not want to go cashless as it’s alien to them but of course most adapt very easily. 

And to think that the actual physical transaction is to much for them is ridiculous. The younger generations on the other side of the counter are usually the cause of delays. 

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Half the staff serving at the ground dither so much that any advantage gained when paying by card is quickly lost as they pour 3 2-pinters of Butcombe directly from the barrel or aimlessly wander around looking to see what a Maltsmiths actually is. 

A what?

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Paying quickly is one thing - decent service is quite another.

Half the staff serving at the ground dither so much that any advantage gained when paying by card is quickly lost as they pour 3 2-pinters of Butcombe directly from the barrel or aimlessly wander around looking to see what a Maltsmiths actually is. 

I stand in the queue every single game thinking how much time these staff are wasting. What annoys me the most is when I'm queuing and they are chatting and laughing amongst themselves instead of serving. If I was their boss they would be out. 

Any advantages gained by going cashless will be loss as they reduce staff numbers.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I stand in the queue every single game thinking how much time these staff are wasting. What annoys me the most is when I'm queuing and they are chatting and laughing amongst themselves instead of serving. If I was their boss they would be out. 

Any advantages gained by going cashless will be loss as they reduce staff numbers.

They chat now?

It'll still be quicker as they won't be fumbling with change 

12 hours ago, jj77 said:

I would imagine someone which a severe and profound learning difficulty would come with a carer.

Problem solved!

I should have also used the classification mild. The same can/does apply. I as a carer/support worker have a role that is limited. You can refer to my first post.

14 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Here in Sweden most of the cash is gone. Card is the usual way to pay. The goverment have total control what you buy and what you do. Orwell 1984!

The government must absolutely love that; not only do they now know what you earn from cradle to grave they also know every penny you spend and on what you're spending it.

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Maybe that's the answer - employ more 'mature' staff....

I gave up 'fumbling years ago.

Ahh, but the problem there is that if a customer WANTS to use a cashless payment method, the staff would be too old to understand this modern witchcraft and wizardry*.

*according to some on here.

As similarly pointed out by others, a couple of times in the past few seasons I have been paying cash and gone to the one relevant till where there was absolutely no queue and got my food/drink almost instantly.

Whereas the other 4 or 5 card tills all had queues of 30/40 people in.

Going cashless to reduce queues may actually have the opposite effect in certain situations.

13 hours ago, redapple said:

There some rather patronising and ageist posts on here. 

A lot of elder fans might not want to go cashless as it’s alien to them but of course most adapt very easily. 

And to think that the actual physical transaction is to much for them is ridiculous. The younger generations on the other side of the counter are usually the cause of delays. 

No the posts are not patronising. What posters are pointing out are effects and probability - What we know about age and what can be logically and reasonably be expected within demographics. 

Your most adapt very easily does not address the points being made.

The highlighted sentence succinctly sums it up. It is about being person centred. The word decent is apt. If you know your actions will be problematic or even distressing for others a decent organisation will provide person centred meaningful alternatives. For some areas of society being person centred is essential otherwise your actions will exclude them. Cashless services can and do exclude individuals for a myriad of reasons by their nature.

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We did have a whole other thread on this where people were agreeing to differ.

Cash payment is always going to have a role whether through Luddite tendencies (guilty), as back up for payment system or internet failure (widespread BT & Sky broadband outage at the start of this week), or for the old, young or "vulnerable" for whom cash is simplest.

Decent organisations, and I certain include City in that definition, will look to facilitate all methods of payment in order to avoid excluding any particular groups.

Archived