Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sir Geoff

Ashton Gate Stadium to go cashless

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Well they've copied everything else we've done ,ie halftime draw, pa announcements on the pitch,woman players,only thing they won't copy is, a new stadium , they can't afford that,

Are you saying da gas had never thought of having half time draws at any time in their history before we did it?! I’m sure we didn’t invent them! And I seem to remember they had some clown with a mic on the pitch doing announcements when we played them at Twerton ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jj77 said:

People think Bristol is a bit behind the times.

The posts here sort of prove it.

FFS!

Not at all - the current PC climate demands cities like Bristol to be as inclusive as possible, catering for the needs and preferences of all types of people - payment schemes should reflect this - as long as cash is legal tender and available from cash machines etc, then organisations should accept it as a valid payment method ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not at all - the current PC climate demands cities like Bristol to be as inclusive as possible, catering for the needs and preferences of all types of people - payment schemes should reflect this - as long as cash is legal tender and available from cash machines etc, then organisations should accept it as a valid payment method ...

They should accept Bristol Pounds only. None of this Sterling malarkey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The point? Be prepared

The point being if cash is the contingent position one still needs to maintain the infrastructure, tills, cash floats, cash storage, cash handling bank services....just in case something goes belly up. And if it's there and somebody wishes to pay cash but isn't allowed, I can see that going well.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a busker in a tube station in London on Saturday who had a contactless card machine set up with a sign saying it was £2 per 'swipe'.

I'm aware this adds nothing to the conversation but interesting nonetheless 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingLear said:

There was a busker in a tube station in London on Saturday who had a contactless card machine set up with a sign saying it was £2 per 'swipe'.

I'm aware this adds nothing to the conversation but interesting nonetheless 😂

Guy handing out cards on the tube with his bank details,  next level begging in London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KingLear said:

There was a busker in a tube station in London on Saturday who had a contactless card machine set up with a sign saying it was £2 per 'swipe'.

I'm aware this adds nothing to the conversation but interesting nonetheless 😂

Reasonably priced I reckon, so did you take him up on it and give him a slap?  🤔

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Garland-sweden said:

Here in Sweden most of the cash is gone. Card is the usual way to pay. The goverment have total control what you buy and what you do. Orwell 1984!

And people get kidnapped in the streets brought in to cars by fewllow citizens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Paying quickly is one thing - decent service is quite another.

Half the staff serving at the ground dither so much that any advantage gained when paying by card is quickly lost as they pour 3 2-pinters of Butcombe directly from the barrel or aimlessly wander around looking to see what a Maltsmiths actually is. 

The downside of using temporary agency staff

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RedM said:

And the charity collectors, can’t rattle a bucket of contactless!

Actually I do wonder about the charity collectors with less and less people carrying actually money, especially loose change. Donations must be affected?

Beggars are thinking a forming a protest group before Christmas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

I'll pay cash if someone would kindly lock this absolutely bizarre thread. 

In safe places like AG only cash should be allowed. On the streets in countries like Sweden cash is a must to avoid kidnapping.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Riaz said:

According to the website, it will be mostly cashless, but there will be areas where you CAN pay by cash. Makes sense.

When you spend a penny?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you saying da gas had never thought of having half time draws at any time in their history before we did it?! I’m sure we didn’t invent them! And I seem to remember they had some clown with a mic on the pitch doing announcements when we played them at Twerton ...

Clown on the mike, with all the tents he would feel right at home now wouldn't he.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Well they've copied everything else we've done ,ie halftime draw, pa announcements on the pitch,woman players,only thing they won't copy is, a new stadium , they can't afford that,

I think you may have misunderstood my comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CodeRed said:

This may seem a good idea by the young men in suits running things, for me it's no problem - I pay for everything I possibly can by card even if it's only a couple of quid - but look around AG on matchday and there's a very large ageing section of the fanbase....a sea of grey heads as I look along the Lansdown.  They'll probably just not bother buying anything rather than getting to grips with new tech.

This is the sort of thing that should be sounded out through fan groups and the SC & T (maybe it was?) and ...whisper it...the SLO.

How remarkably condescending.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern idea of efficiency. Supermarkets round me in London the same. Buy a paper, got to use a card. But why should a spend of £1.50 require a (effectively two) banking transaction?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local garage has a minimum spend of £10 on a card, don't be surprised if something similar happens at the gate, there are bean counters out there who's job it is to maximise revenue, still think cash is a good way of budgeting, but perhaps that's just an age thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There some rather patronising and ageist posts on here. 

A lot of elder fans might not want to go cashless as it’s alien to them but of course most adapt very easily. 

And to think that the actual physical transaction is to much for them is ridiculous. The younger generations on the other side of the counter are usually the cause of delays. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

 

Half the staff serving at the ground dither so much that any advantage gained when paying by card is quickly lost as they pour 3 2-pinters of Butcombe directly from the barrel or aimlessly wander around looking to see what a Maltsmiths actually is. 

 

A what?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Paying quickly is one thing - decent service is quite another.

Half the staff serving at the ground dither so much that any advantage gained when paying by card is quickly lost as they pour 3 2-pinters of Butcombe directly from the barrel or aimlessly wander around looking to see what a Maltsmiths actually is. 

I stand in the queue every single game thinking how much time these staff are wasting. What annoys me the most is when I'm queuing and they are chatting and laughing amongst themselves instead of serving. If I was their boss they would be out. 

Any advantages gained by going cashless will be loss as they reduce staff numbers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I stand in the queue every single game thinking how much time these staff are wasting. What annoys me the most is when I'm queuing and they are chatting and laughing amongst themselves instead of serving. If I was their boss they would be out. 

Any advantages gained by going cashless will be loss as they reduce staff numbers.

They chat now?

It'll still be quicker as they won't be fumbling with change 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jj77 said:

I would imagine someone which a severe and profound learning difficulty would come with a carer.

Problem solved!

I should have also used the classification mild. The same can/does apply. I as a carer/support worker have a role that is limited. You can refer to my first post.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phantom said:

It'll still be quicker as they won't be fumbling

 

5 hours ago, phantom said:

If I was their boss they would be out. 

Maybe that's the answer - employ more 'mature' staff....

I gave up 'fumbling years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Here in Sweden most of the cash is gone. Card is the usual way to pay. The goverment have total control what you buy and what you do. Orwell 1984!

The government must absolutely love that; not only do they now know what you earn from cradle to grave they also know every penny you spend and on what you're spending it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

 

Maybe that's the answer - employ more 'mature' staff....

I gave up 'fumbling years ago.

Ahh, but the problem there is that if a customer WANTS to use a cashless payment method, the staff would be too old to understand this modern witchcraft and wizardry*.

*according to some on here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As similarly pointed out by others, a couple of times in the past few seasons I have been paying cash and gone to the one relevant till where there was absolutely no queue and got my food/drink almost instantly.

Whereas the other 4 or 5 card tills all had queues of 30/40 people in.

Going cashless to reduce queues may actually have the opposite effect in certain situations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, redapple said:

There some rather patronising and ageist posts on here. 

A lot of elder fans might not want to go cashless as it’s alien to them but of course most adapt very easily. 

And to think that the actual physical transaction is to much for them is ridiculous. The younger generations on the other side of the counter are usually the cause of delays. 

No the posts are not patronising. What posters are pointing out are effects and probability - What we know about age and what can be logically and reasonably be expected within demographics. 

Your most adapt very easily does not address the points being made.

The highlighted sentence succinctly sums it up. It is about being person centred. The word decent is apt. If you know your actions will be problematic or even distressing for others a decent organisation will provide person centred meaningful alternatives. For some areas of society being person centred is essential otherwise your actions will exclude them. Cashless services can and do exclude individuals for a myriad of reasons by their nature.

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We did have a whole other thread on this where people were agreeing to differ.

Cash payment is always going to have a role whether through Luddite tendencies (guilty), as back up for payment system or internet failure (widespread BT & Sky broadband outage at the start of this week), or for the old, young or "vulnerable" for whom cash is simplest.

Decent organisations, and I certain include City in that definition, will look to facilitate all methods of payment in order to avoid excluding any particular groups.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The government must absolutely love that; not only do they now know what you earn from cradle to grave they also know every penny you spend and on what you're spending it.

Yes its frightening, but thats what we are today in Sweden.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 23:40, phantom said:

They chat now?

It'll still be quicker as they won't be fumbling with change 

They should think themselves lucky. Imagine them with this?

7ed0eba03d10a96e74e6ce97b5224c2f.jpg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...