IGNORED

Joe Morrell - New deal (Merged)

RedEyez

So we have had morrell all this time , lj hasn't trusted him enough to give him a fair crack in the first team he goes on loan giggsy sees something in him lj couldnt and he gets a new 3 year deal , im delighted but surely its down to giggsy not lj at all ...

Same as moore was good enough but took extreme set of circumstances for lj to actually give him a fair chance

Christ, what a headache. Not our Swedish mate’s ramblings but our midfield selection. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a situation where we’ve had so many CMs who you’d be happy to see in the starting 11. Morrell has been fantastic for Wales to date and it has made him impossible to ignore. 

39 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

So we have had morrell all this time , lj hasn't trusted him enough to give him a fair crack in the first team he goes on loan giggsy sees something in him lj couldnt and he gets a new 3 year deal , im delighted but surely its down to giggsy not lj at all ...

Same as moore was good enough but took extreme set of circumstances for lj to actually give him a fair chance

I seem to recall LJ speaking highly of Morrell.  Just as he has of Walsh.  I rate them both too and hope to see them in City shirts next season.

5 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

I seem to recall LJ speaking highly of Morrell.  Just as he has of Walsh.  I rate them both too and hope to see them in City shirts next season.

He signed Walsh and Bakinson over Morrell. Plus flogged pack all season and brought back barely fit smith instead of playing Morrell. Don’t think he rated him that highly imo. 

7 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Christ, what a headache. Not our Swedish mate’s ramblings but our midfield selection. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a situation where we’ve had so many CMs who you’d be happy to see in the starting 11. Morrell has been fantastic for Wales to date and it has made him impossible to ignore. 

I’ll say it again, I really do think Joe’s style of play and ability, fits the way we play this season really well.  He could slot into Nagy’s role, he positions himself really well. We saw him partnered with Pack, and Brownhill, last season...and he is capable of breaking the lines.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

He signed Walsh and Bakinson over Morrell. Plus flogged pack all season and brought back barely fit smith instead of playing Morrell. Don’t think he rated him that highly imo. 

Walsh and Bakinson are very different midfielders to Morrell.  You could argue he’s signed Massengo over Morrell though.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Walsh and Bakinson are very different midfielders to Morrell.  You could argue he’s signed Massengo over Morrell though.

In which case the flow of logic suggests that should Massengo be sold in the summer we now have an able replacement tied in for two (+1) years.

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

So it’s down to an international manager that we’ve decided to give a player a contract extension? Don’t be ridiculous. 

We don’t just give contract extensions to first team players either, Morrell has come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years but he certainly wasn’t ready for championship football in August, now he’s got a league one loan where he’s excelling, I’d much rather he had that than be a back up option for us...

32 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I take your point, but there's a difference between speaking highly of a player and feeling he's ready. Both needed more games, but you could always see their quality. 

26 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

I take your point, but there's a difference between speaking highly of a player and feeling he's ready. Both needed more games, but you could always see their quality. 

Agreed, although I feel LJ didn’t rate Morrell that much behind closed doors. Don’t think Morrell got an impression he was much rated either. 

LJ should’ve given him more than ONE league appearance last season. He deserved more than that considering packs poor form imo. 

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Agreed, although I feel LJ didn’t rate Morrell that much behind closed doors. Don’t think Morrell got an impression he was much rated either. 

LJ should’ve given him more than ONE league appearance last season. He deserved more than that considering packs poor form imo. 

You seem to feel LJ doesn't rate any if our players under 22 though...

8 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

To play Smith over Morrell come January would be criminal. Since when did Smith play international football at top European level?

I clearly see 'Nagy & Brownhill,,Massengo,,Morrell,,Walsh as the key midfielder's for us in the medium/long-term..... it's the future.

I think it’s clear to see that both Massengo and Brownhill have admirers and are the next ‘cash assets’ we are likely to sell to keep the club in yearly profit. Unless one is being sold in Jan (which would only be if we had a silly offer) then Morrell and Walsh will stay learning their trade in lower leagues until summer. Morrell signing a new contract is more about City making sure we don’t lose a player for nothing in 2 summers time potentially, rather than being thrust into first team where he would currently be 5th choice

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You seem to feel LJ doesn't rate any if our players under 22 though...

I think he’s way too coy when it comes to giving academy youngsters game time. 

41 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Source or speculation?

I think he should have played more last season. But that's more to do with Pack than him.

Pack had some woeful spells without doubt, all this talk how much he rates Morrell but he plays 1 sub league appearance all season whilst Pack is flogged for 46 games. 

14 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think he’s way too coy when it comes to giving academy youngsters game time. 

Pack had some woeful spells without doubt, all this talk how much he rates Morrell but he plays 1 sub league appearance all season whilst Pack is flogged for 46 games. 

Big difference between rating someone and considering them to be good enough at that point.

Only a year or two ago nobody wanted Morrell on loan and Johnson insisted that GJ took him for a year.

Morrell was also given a new contract in November 2017 even though that was the year where no one wanted him on loan. Would have been an odd thing for a manager who "doesn't really rate him* to do.

13 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

He has proved himself at a level far higher than the Championship. Why should he wait til later than January?

With respect, no he hasn’t. 

Please don’t tell me you’re calling c.200 mins of football with Wales as ‘proving yourself at a level far higher than the championship’ ?

I think he’ll be a fine footballer but he’s proved nothing yet. These things take time. Look at what a couple of seasons of playing week in week out did for Taylor Moore, long after he’d been written off (and Johnson derided) over the signing. 

21 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Big difference between rating someone and considering them to be good enough at that point.

Only a year or two ago nobody wanted Morrell on loan and Johnson insisted that GJ took him for a year.

Morrell was also given a new contract in November 2017 even though that was the year where no one wanted him on loan. Would have been an odd thing for a manager who "doesn't really rate him* to do.

Morrell was good enough though, he showed that in the cup games and Pack should never have played 46 games. 

LJ was happy to see Morrell go off to America to look at potential options on a permanent basis. It’s pretty normal to give any young player doing okay on loan a new contract. 

I like Morrell and think he should’ve played way more last season, LJ probably maybe agrees in hindsight now.  

Archived