IGNORED

Joe Morrell - New deal (Merged)

RedEyez

Well done Joe, here's hoping he plays well for the rest of the season on loan and cements a place in the Wales 2020 euro squad.  If Williams is in there also, along with Kalas for the Czech Republic, that's fantastic for City.

Also a chance O'dowda might still be there if Republic can win their qualifier.  Exciting times indeed.

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Morrell was good enough though, he showed that in the cup games and Pack should never have played 46 games. 

LJ was happy to see Morrell go off to America to look at potential options on a permanent basis. It’s pretty normal to give any young player doing okay on loan a new contract. 

I like Morrell and think he should’ve played way more last season, LJ probably maybe agrees in hindsight now.  

Doing well in a couple of one off games in the cup means very little.

Matty Taylor was outstanding against Stoke and one of our best players against Palace in the League Cup run, as well as playing in the assist for Smith's goal against Manchester United.

By your own reasoning, that's Matty Taylor proven as a good Premier League player- he isn't.

LJ would also have seen Morrell and Pack week in, week out in training, or had regular reports when Morrell was on loan. Might I suggest he would have been in a better position to judge which player was the more suitable pick for each game than us who saw Morrell play a couple of games?

Again, you seem to be thinking one thing makes another impossible.

LJ saying to Morrell that he is welcome to explore other options doesn't mean the player isn't wanted, it means the club won't stand in his way if he decides he wants to go somewhere else.

Speculation, but I'd imagine LJ and Joe would have had a conversation at the time, with the general message being "you are free to look at the options in America, but if you stay the plan is x, and if you develop as expected y might happen"

If it was much different why would Morrell want to extend his contract here?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What are these “options in America”?  Have I missed something?

Probably nothing, but maybe it was with Vancouver Whitecaps. We've played them at least once in a behind closed doors type friendly, the former manager is Welsh so maybe Morrell was someone they tracked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Robinson

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What are these “options in America”?  Have I missed something?

Had a search, and it's actually something that happened in the summer of 2016.

So completely irrelevant to the current contract extension.

"Morrell highlights the summer of 2016 as a particular nadir when it looked like City were ready to cut him loose and he subsequently went on trial at Fleetwood and even spent time in America assessing his options."

26 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Matty Taylor was outstanding against Stoke and one of our best players against Palace in the League Cup run, as well as playing in the assist for Smith's goal against Manchester United.

By your own reasoning, that's Matty Taylor proven as a good Premier League player- he isn't.

LJ would also have seen Morrell and Pack week in, week out in training, or had regular reports when Morrell was on loan. Might I suggest he would have been in a better position to judge which player was the more suitable pick for each game than us who saw Morrell play a couple of games?

LJ saying to Morrell that he is welcome to explore other options doesn't mean the player isn't wanted, it means the club won't stand in his way if he decides he wants to go somewhere else.

Speculation, but I'd imagine LJ and Joe would have had a conversation at the time, with the general message being "you are free to look at the options in America, but if you stay the plan is x, and if you develop as expected y might happen"

Matty Taylor played 33 times last season. 
Morrell played once. 

His performances for Lincoln and Wales show he should have been given a chance last season when we were struggling for CMs imo. 

If/when we lose one or two CMs to bigger clubs I hope Morrell will come into the squad and be given regular game time. I think he’s surprised LJ and most of us with his form. 

58 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Morrell was good enough though, he showed that in the cup games and Pack should never have played 46 games. 

LJ was happy to see Morrell go off to America to look at potential options on a permanent basis. It’s pretty normal to give any young player doing okay on loan a new contract. 

I like Morrell and think he should’ve played way more last season, LJ probably maybe agrees in hindsight now.  

It's hindsight now but what may have helped to ease the burden a bit as well as not exposing Morrell too much week in week out last season post Christmas:

Pack

Morrell Brownhill

Or:

Pack Morrell

Brownhill

One way or another, a more advanced Brownhill- useful for attacking threat, yet flexible enough to slot back into a 3 instead of say Paterson...

Brownhill Morrell Pack O'Dowda

Palmer OR Paterson

Weimann

That could've been interesting too.

14 hours ago, JBFC II said:

So it’s down to an international manager that we’ve decided to give a player a contract extension? Don’t be ridiculous. 

We don’t just give contract extensions to first team players either, Morrell has come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years but he certainly wasn’t ready for championship football in August, now he’s got a league one loan where he’s excelling, I’d much rather he had that than be a back up option for us...

Ridiculous ? 

Semenyo had the fa cup tv exposure so was recalled amd given a new contract ,

Morrell is starting games for wales so yes its down to giggs giving him the game time that lj wouldnt.... 

If lj really thought that much why wasnt the contract offered before the international callups ? 

Its our gain so win win just dont in anyway feel lj would of given him a fairgo in the side.

48 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Ridiculous ? 

Morrell is starting games for wales so yes its down to giggs giving him the game time that lj wouldnt.... 

If lj really thought that much why wasnt the contract offered before the international callups ? 

Its our gain so win win just dont in anyway feel lj would of given him a fairgo in the side.

Semenyo was playing well and getting good reviews, hence why he wasn’t recalled. One game on the TV in the fa cup wouldn’t have been the reason behind his recall, that’s obvious.

Morrell is exactly the same, he’s done what we wanted of him (and more) and has deserved a contract extension he didn’t get at the start of the year. It’s nothing to do with giggs, or LJ but all down to the players development and the coaching team at Lincoln. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

SO'D rated Morrell from a very young age which is a very good endorsement. There's a lot to criticise about O'Driscoll but there's no denying he could spot a gifted player. Really pleased for Morrell, hope he gets more game-time when he returns from loan.

Agreed and it was SO'D who gave Morrell his debut.

But for historical accuracy, it was Derek McInnes who persuaded Joe to sign pro with City and turn down Liverpool in the process. This after the player had already been shown round Liverpool's training facilities.

So thank you Del and congratulations Joe.

I'm looking forward to Nagy and Joe becoming our Xavi and Iniesta in the not too distant future!

People going a bit over the top about Morrell imo.

I doubt last season he was as good as he is now.

He's playing well in league one, and had one very good game against a poor national team, playing with some much better Wales players.

Keep him at Lincoln and look at him in the summer and see if he has improved enough to be in our squad.

We have 4 excellent midfielders already in our squad. I think he will make it with us, but he needs games and he's getting that now.

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Ridiculous ? 

Do you seriously think LJ watched the two Euro qualifiers and thought “blimey, let’s call him in on Wednesday morning and see if we can get him to quickly sign a new deal”?

Contract discussions aren’t generally overnight things!!

18 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Agreed, although I feel LJ didn’t rate Morrell that much behind closed doors. Don’t think Morrell got an impression he was much rated either. 

LJ should’ve given him more than ONE league appearance last season. He deserved more than that considering packs poor form imo. 

Agreed.  Would've liked to have seen more of Walsh too.  

Some players seem to be allowed a run of bad games but keep their place.  Other get dropped on the first below par performance.

As far as Morrell goes, he's in a great position and so are the club.  If he impresses for Wales he may get a decent move and we get a decent fee.  If that doesn't happen he has security and has proven he is capable.  Win, win. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you seriously think LJ watched the two Euro qualifiers and thought “blimey, let’s call him in on Wednesday morning and see if we can get him to quickly sign a new deal”?

Sounds absurd but yes i actually do thing something like that happened.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed, although I have a sneaky feeling that maybe Brownhill has turned down a new deal and we are hedging our bets

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

You are assuming that Johnson knows what he is doing!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Looks as if they are at Tottenham. MP out one day and JM in the next.?

1 minute ago, mikep said:

Looks as if they are at Tottenham. MP out one day and JM in the next.?

Hahaha.....Mourinho spilt the milk from his Frosties over his contract during breakfast.

Was quite funny listening to TalkSport yesterday morning around 06:30. Paraphrased 

Alan - we will just go over to The Moose who’s at Spurs Training Ground.  Rumours of Mourinho, Moose?

Moose - yes, but there are others I’m being told.

Alan - hold on Moose, Mourinho just been announced.

2 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Sounds absurd but yes i actually do thing something like that happened.

Right, so LJ watched Wales’ game Tuesday, seen that Morrell was excellent and between that point and 11am the next morning had met with the board to discuss potentially offering JM a new contract, met JM & agent, offered terms, agreed terms......... nothing of the sort happened.

The process of giving Morrell a new contract has been worked on for a while now. 

17 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If he didn't he wouldn't be employed.

Ridiculous comment.

Depends on who the employer is. If the employer got limited insight in football but still appoint people it will happen independently of the size of your bucket. The recent Tottenham example is the obvious proof. You know you are the ultimate muppet but has to show your cards. 

Archived