IGNORED

Corinthian Casuals

E.G.Red

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian-Casuals_F.C.

we are in there for the now infamous FA Cup first round tie. Luckily I’m advised by arriving about a minute before KO I missed the mayhem!!

Take care though - that article is about Corinthian Casuals after the 1939 merger. The original Corinthian were formed in 1882 and their story is the really interesting one. Scotland were dominating England and it was thought this was because  their players mostly played together for Queens Park. So Corinthian were formed expressly to have a team that could form the basis of the England team - and they did. Some England matches in the 1880s had players that were all Corinthians.

However, Corinthian were always strictly amateur and only played friendlies, so they didn’t play in the FA Cup or join the Football League when it was formed. Nevertheless, they were regarded as the best around and often thrashed professional sides - for example they beat Manchester United 11-3 after 1900. 

Their players included several famous “gentleman” all rounders, including CB Fry and Max Woosnam (both amazing in their own right). Their style was what attracted many people. They played beautiful football and a passing game that superseded the previous kick and rush style.

Another thing was that they toured abroad and introduced football to other countries, particularly Brazil. Hence Corinthians Paulista being named after them, and the 2015 match in Sau Paulo (which was at the heart of this fascinating  and heartwarming TV programme).

Remaining strictly amateur, Corinthian Casuals are now a very minor non league team and have fallen on hard times. The São Paulo match was partly aimed at obtaining sponsorship in Brazil, as the respect for them over there as the source of Brazilian football is immense.

Responding to Freezer, Corinthian were the bedrock of English football and inspired numerous teams to play football to a higher standard. But to do this they choose to remain amateur. For all they have done for promoting English football, they have a legitimate claim to be helped by the FA. To call them ‘rovers in disguise’ is a massive insult.

Corinthian Casuals as they now are, still retain the same spirit. Being amateur means that they struggle massively to make ends meet. They are still passionate in what they do and it is for the love of the game and not the financial rewards.

i am biased because my lad played for the first team for many years although he now turns out for their old boys. There is an incredible bond between  the players, old and current, and it is rewarding to see such loyalty. No premier league egos!

Leveller is right that they turned out many famous names. There have been famous names since associated with the club. Jimmy Hill, Micky and Alex Stewart are just a few who come to mind.

If Corinthian Casuals folded it would be a sad day for the history of football. If rovers folded, I probably would not notice. 

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

Take care though - that article is about Corinthian Casuals after the 1939 merger. The original Corinthian were formed in 1882 and their story is the really interesting one. Scotland were dominating England and it was thought this was because  their players mostly played together for Queens Park. So Corinthian were formed expressly to have a team that could form the basis of the England team - and they did. Some England matches in the 1880s had players that were all Corinthians.

However, Corinthian were always strictly amateur and only played friendlies, so they didn’t play in the FA Cup or join the Football League when it was formed. Nevertheless, they were regarded as the best around and often thrashed professional sides - for example they beat Manchester United 11-3 after 1900. 

Their players included several famous “gentleman” all rounders, including CB Fry and Max Woosnam (both amazing in their own right). Their style was what attracted many people. They played beautiful football and a passing game that superseded the previous kick and rush style.

Another thing was that they toured abroad and introduced football to other countries, particularly Brazil. Hence Corinthians Paulista being named after them, and the 2015 match in Sau Paulo (which was at the heart of this fascinating  and heartwarming TV programme).

Remaining strictly amateur, Corinthian Casuals are now a very minor non league team and have fallen on hard times. The São Paulo match was partly aimed at obtaining sponsorship in Brazil, as the respect for them over there as the source of Brazilian football is immense.

I'm fascinated by CB Fry: captained England at cricket and still has the record for consecutive centuries; played in an FA Cup final; held the world long jump record for many years and was Olympic class at high jump and sprinting as well; and played Rugby for the Barbarians.

In between all that, he was a full-time teacher, wrote various books, stood three times for Parliament as a Liberal, turned down the throne of Albania and tried to interest Hitler in cricket.  

He also went bonkers on occasion and got arrested for walking around in public naked and was incarcerated in various mental hospitals.

We shall not see his like again.

[Agree with the OP too that the Corinthian Casuals programme was very interesting]

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Did we have a dust up with the Wall there in the cup or was it Fisher Athletic?

Yep. It was at Dulwich Hamlet ground. As below I am reliably informed I was lucky. Got tasty as it gets by the accounts of those in the ground 15 mins before KO

14 hours ago, REDOXO said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian-Casuals_F.C.

we are in there for the now infamous FA Cup first round tie. Luckily I’m advised by arriving about a minute before KO I missed the mayhem!!

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm fascinated by CB Fry: captained England at cricket and still has the record for consecutive centuries; played in an FA Cup final; held the world long jump record for many years and was Olympic class at high jump and sprinting as well; and played Rugby for the Barbarians.

In between all that, he was a full-time teacher, wrote various books, stood three times for Parliament as a Liberal, turned down the throne of Albania and tried to interest Hitler in cricket.  

He also went bonkers on occasion and got arrested for walking around in public naked and was incarcerated in various mental hospitals.

[Agree with the OP too that the Corinthian Casuals programme was very interesting]

What an absolute nutter.  I mean standing for Parliament as a Liberal?!  Bonkers.

5 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

forgot to add its the chocolate and pink.....

That reminds me of the late 1970s fim, 10, starring Dudley Moore and the very attractive Bo Derek.

Dudley is trying to teach the scantily clad Bo how to play snooker, standing close behind her whilst guiding her cue hand, and he then moves back to watch Bo leaning over the table and, when it is his shot, says something about not being sure whether to go for the pink or the brown. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Wasn`t he related somehow to Stephen Fry?

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Check out Max Woosnam too. New to me, but he was related to Ian and Phil Woosnam.

Played various sports for Cambridge University.

Captained Manchester City and played football for England as well as Corinthian.

Scored a 147 at snooker.

Scored a century at Lords.

Won Olympic medals for tennis and won the doubles at Wimbledon. 

Archived