IGNORED

Bringing My Niece Tomorrow

TBW

Planning on bringing my eldest niece to her first game tomorrow. It's been a while since I was that age (14) so is there anything I might not know about going on that might catch her interest and help make the day*?

Thanks.

*other than a big home win.

1 minute ago, TBW said:

Planning on bringing my eldest niece to her first game tomorrow. It's been a while since I was that age (14) so is there anything I might not know about going on that might catch her interest and help make the day*?

Thanks.

Depends which area you are in, each stand has internal attractions, but if the weather is good the fans zone is still buzzing.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Depends which area you are in, each stand has internal attractions, but if the weather is good the fans zone is still buzzing.

I usually just hang around outside in the fan zone by Sir John but because of that never know what's going on inside. There much to see? We're in SS but don't mind a little walk around to the Lansdown or whatever if something worthwhile is happening.

Went to the Wigan game with my 13yr old "Rose". Her first match, she is more of a netball/dance sort of a Window. Rose realised that she was supporting the guys in red and she was more passionate about it than me and my son. Sasha and I have seen so many poor home performances, but for Rose she was shouting for us to win the ball, score or defend.

I was impressed - the football was what she enjoyed. She wants to go again if she gets a gap in her hectic social calendar.

My advice would be to buy a programme so she can at least see who the players are if she isn't sure. Make sure she is wrapped up warm and has a hat/hood, gloves as nothing will put her off more than being cold. Other than that have a wander around before and not plan anything too much as such, just see what catches your eye. 

What a nice thing for you to do, hope you both enjoy the game

4 hours ago, TBW said:

Thanks.

Seriously, I hope your niece has a fabulous day.

Word of warning, cover her ears when Kasey’s song is happening ?

Thanks everyone, doesn't seem like there's a lot in terms of engagement for kids and teens around then really. Obviously in the fanzone there is live music, food and alcohol but that's aimed at the adults. Would've thought there might be some usual regular things happening inside the stadium to keep kids happy.

From going to NBA games over in the US they have players from their feeder team or women's team signing autographs at a table in the concourse, a free-to-play spin the wheel, everyone wins a prize, facing painting for the younger ones, all sorts of things happening.

Either way, I'll try show her around, show her her grandad's name up on the Atyeo statue and just see how into it she gets. She's generally quite introverted so it'll be interesting to see if she enjoys it or not.

1 hour ago, TBW said:

Thanks everyone, doesn't seem like there's a lot in terms of engagement for kids and teens around then really. Obviously in the fanzone there is live music, food and alcohol but that's aimed at the adults. Would've thought there might be some usual regular things happening inside the stadium to keep kids happy.

From going to NBA games over in the US they have players from their feeder team or women's team signing autographs at a table in the concourse, a free-to-play spin the wheel, everyone wins a prize, facing painting for the younger ones, all sorts of things happening.

Either way, I'll try show her around, show her her grandad's name up on the Atyeo statue and just see how into it she gets. She's generally quite introverted so it'll be interesting to see if she enjoys it or not.

My advice would be to allow her to do as she’d like. If she wants to stand & watch the band, great, let her. If she wants to spend time in the club shop, let her. If she wants to stand up clapping & shouting / singing during the game, let her. Let her make the rules.

Kids love a bit of freedom, my daughter was surprised by the swearing but because she knew it was mainly in a fun way, it didn’t upset her & she asked me if it was ok if she said some of the ‘naughty words’? She grew up living in pubs so it wasn’t anything she hadn’t ever heard before so I just told her it was ok for her to do at football but never to tell her Mum or do it in front of her Mum or Grandparents etc, it allowed us that little bond, that freedom that she was allowed with me that she wasn’t allowed with anyone else & I’ve never had any issues with her being inappropriate around anyone else.

Archived