IGNORED

Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day 17

The Paleolithic Period is considered the earliest of human development. It extends from the first known use of stone tools by Homo the genus of the family Hominindae circa 2.5 million years ago to the end of the Pleistocene circa 11,650 years ago. Recent discoveries in a dry riverbed near to Lake Turkana in Kenya, however, challenges this date and points toward a discovery close to a million years before. 

Fast forward to November 2017 and Evangelos Marinakis, the owner of Forest, receives the Lloyds List "Greek Shipping Personality of the Year" Award at a special ceremony in Athens. Nigel Lowry of Lloyd's List said Marinakis was the "outstanding candidate" for the award and noted his $1 billion investment in fleet capacity in 2017, his "dynamic dealmaking" in the shipping sector, as well as a range of other activities across philanthropy, sports and media.

Since 2015 both Marinakis and Olympiacos, his other club, have received awards by the NGO ‘Elpida’ for financial support in the provision of new medical equipment, for bone marrow donations and for the donation of Olympiacos tickets. Admirable.

In 2018 he was awarded by the Municipality of Piraeus a special award in recognition of his contribution to Local Government. He was born in Piraeus in 1967 took over his Father's shipping business which, at the time, was 7 tankers and has built it into a very large business today.

In the world's largest shipping publication, Tradewinds, Marinakis was responding to accusations of mixing business and politics after being elected Mayor of Piraeus. He said that he can see no reason why someone with a strong record in business cannot get into politics, "calling that stance "Paleolithic logic". "I am not afraid to be involved in politics, because I have no business with the Greek state" he said. Since the elections, he undertook the construction of squares, parks, children's playgrounds and sports facilities, at his own cost, as the municipality of Piraeus lacks the necessary funds due to the economic crisis. 

Marinakis' 'hunter gatherer' analogy is an interesting one. He has built his shipping empire into a hugely successful and profitable business expanding it from the 7 tankers when he took over from his father to more than 70 today. Interesting then that he would wish to risk all of that by carrying more than two tonnes of heroin on one of his oil tankers; Prosecutors in the port city of Piraeus said he still faced these "very serious charges" connected to a 2014 investigation. Does Greece's 'Paleolithic Man' live rigidly to that principle come what may or is he being framed by disenfranchised politicians or spurned ex business partners in a twisted yet motivated reason for revenge? He has previously been cleared of match fixing in Greece. It is troublesome for Nottingham Forest that their owner is accused of serious crimes. For their sake let us hope these are without foundation. If that does not come to pass the club could be looking at yet another sale. In the meantime excitement gathers over the club's recently unveiled plans to turn the City Ground into a 38,000 all seater arena. But will it happen before or after his tenure?289071301_Paleo5.thumb.jpg.e620a5de6368ab3135dd6fe1d819cfa9.jpg

Mr Marinakis has previously claimed to have been the "victim of a plot", and when he bought Nottingham Forest in 2017 , said opponents were "jealous" of his success with Olympiakos, who have won the Greek Super League seven times since he bought them in 2010.

Under the Greek legal system, the initial step in a case sees a judge make a recommendation to a public prosecutor on whether a case should be pursued. Marinakis has not yet been before a judge.

Warburton, O'Neill and now Frenchman Lamouchi have all served under Marinakis. Sabri Lamouchi has had fairly limited managerial experience and actually started out in 2012 as national manager of Ivory Coast. The Elephants qualified for the 2014 World Cup, ranked 23rd at the time; the highest in Africa, and started their group games with a 2–1 victory over Japan. That was followed by a 2–1 loss to group favourites Colombia. And on his last game as Ivory Coast's manager, he and his team lost 2–1 to Greece and were eliminated from the World Cup. Perhaps Marinakis felt sorry for him! He followed a brief and initially successful spell with Rennes by joining Forest in June of this year.

With Fulham winning last night we see City again out of the top 6. A win today, therefore, would be very welcome to get back inside and push Forest out at the same time.

Roll on City.

We have yet another tough , tough match but are there any easy matches in this division ?

It promises to be a good game of football and with a place in the top six at stake no quarter must be given.

I have a feeling we will just nick it if the crowd get behind the lads from the off.

Save your kisses for Albert until the end when he’s walking off with zero points.

Good Morning from cold Tallinn, its minus 2 here atm and not going to get warmer,  but a bit brighter than it has been of late.  It's good to see Championship football back again after the Internationals and hopefully a good win for City to get back into the top six.  As usual, because we are home,  it will be a tight game and I think and hope that we win by the odd goal or even more. So roll on this afternoon and come on you red's.

Evangelos Marinakis sounds like a truly fascinating man, I might do a bit of research later and find out more about his life so far.

Who is wealthier, Marinakis or Lansdown?  Will Marinakis be in attendance at Ashton Gate today?  It sounds unlikely, I doubt he ever watches their games.

City to win 2-1, Diedhiou with both goals.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSS!

11 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Good Morning from cold Tallinn, its minus 2 here atm and not going to get warmer,  but a bit brighter than it has been of late.  It's good to see Championship football back again after the Internationals and hopefully a good win for City to get back into the top six.  As usual, because we are home,  it will be a tight game and I think and hope that we win by the odd goal or even more. So roll on this afternoon and come on you red's.

Good morning to you in Tallin, damn that is cold.  I've just searched on Google images to take a look at Tallin and my god it is beautiful.  Perhaps you can take a stroll around in some warm City clothes and snap a few pictures!

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Making my way down from Nottingham for this, they’re pretty confident up here. Can see a scrappy 1-1 with Massengo getting his first goal for us 

Agreed. Stinks of a boring 1-1 draw. Dunno about Massengo getting a run out just because he played for the French u19s over the break so might be rested. Probably COD instead because he wasn't used for Ireland. 

Weimann with the goal for me.

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good morning to you in Tallin, damn that is cold.  

Until yesterday, it was often minus 2 this week here in Norn Iron. We also have plenty of rain (drought conditions are when it hasn't rained in 48 hours)! Admittedly, its normally not that cold and if we ever get snow, it'll soon disappear just like in Bristol.

I think Tallin will win the average winter temperature as I think it gets worse than minus 2? If only we had some fans in Sweden who could tell us what it's like in the winter for them!

24 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Having been fairly impressed with Forest when I've watched them this season, This was a game that worried me a bit, but with Kalas back,  Nagy fit and even the possibility of Korey Smith making an appearance, I'm feeling more positive.  Main concern is they have 2 powerful strikers and their wingers could exploit our weaknesses on both flanks.

Saw Forest-Derby, Hesgoal, 1-0. Forest played good and I think they are a good team. We are good and hope that we take all points today. COYR

6 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Until yesterday, it was often minus 2 this week here in Norn Iron. We also have plenty of rain (drought conditions are when it hasn't rained in 48 hours)! Admittedly, its normally not that cold and if we ever get snow, it'll soon disappear just like in Bristol.

I think Tallin will win the average winter temperature as I think it gets worse than minus 2? If only we had some fans in Sweden who could tell us what it's like in the winter for them!

Here in middle of Sweden its rain and 3. Normallly we got snow in end of november. A week ago it was -24 in the north of Sweden, brr. New year its very cold here normally. One new year it vas -42 here in my area, its called Dalarna and its the heart of Sweden. In the eighties the Winters were extreme cold here. Nowadays its not so cold but lots of snow instead. Anyway, COYR!!!

25 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Agreed. Stinks of a boring 1-1 draw. Dunno about Massengo getting a run out just because he played for the French u19s over the break so might be rested. Probably COD instead because he wasn't used for Ireland. 

Weimann with the goal for me.

Can see him coming on for the last 20 as it’s 0-0 and putting us 1 up. 

I was going to put Weimann but it seemed too obvious ?

50 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Evangelos Marinakis sounds like a truly fascinating man, I might do a bit of research later and find out more about his life so far.

Who is wealthier, Marinakis or Lansdown?  Will Marinakis be in attendance at Ashton Gate today?  It sounds unlikely, I doubt he ever watches their games.

City to win 2-1, Diedhiou with both goals.

COME ON YOU REDSSSSSSSSSSS!

Stevie L outshines the shipper by about 2 to 1.

11 minutes ago, City oz said:

Its currently 25 degrees in perth but a few sand flies about. 6.30 pm at night and i have plenty of cider in the fridge 

A good friend lives in Perth, he says it was 38 last week. They have the Choppers patrolling in case of fires and there was one near him put out with precision in 5 minutes flat. That is impressive.

About 32 here.

44 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Good morning to you in Tallin, damn that is cold.  I've just searched on Google images to take a look at Tallin and my god it is beautiful.  Perhaps you can take a stroll around in some warm City clothes and snap a few pictures!

Minus 2 is average for November but with this global warming the Winters have got warmer with the snow not arriving until after New Year..You should come, the Old Town is beautiful, we have lot's of tourist and cruise ships with up to 4,000 on board in the Spring and Summer. ATM the Christmas market is in full swing and it's looks even better in the dark. There are direct flights from Stansted and Gatwick, even Edinburgh is direct now all with Easyjet and Ryanair. I will see if I can get some photos but unfortunately I don't have any warm City clothes only a tee shirt. Our outer Winter garments have to be a lot warmer than the ones in the UK.  What is the current temperature in Bristol as I was looking at Points West yesterday and it said rain I think. 

Archived