IGNORED

Bristol City v Nottingham Forest Match Day 17

59 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

All fair points. I don't personally disagree. But one observation. 

As I waited for the customary age to get down the stairs of the Dolman after the final whistle yesterday three blokes of my vintage, 50s, obviously long time fans, were chatting about what poor entertainment the match was, lamenting the cost of their match tickets and feeling sorry for season ticket holders if they have to watch that every week.

It's easy to forget that many people in a 20k plus crowd are occasional visitors. They expect to get some entertainment for their money. And no one can blame them, it's not a cheap afternoon's entertainment...and unless you were a tactical purist yesterday was a bit of a bore, and a frustrating one at that. Football is, after all, a branch of the entertainment industry.

Let’s go down the American path where draws are not acceptable and they do everything they can To bring ‘ entertainment ‘ to the event.

Yes sometimes matches can be a bit dull but is says more about the fans than the players if they can’t see what is happening in front of them .

How exciting would it be if every match finished 5-4 or 4-5 ? 

People would then complain that it’s too easy to score goals and so it would become boring .

Goals are amazing in football because they’re hard to score , modern society does not do ‘ hard ‘every thing has to be put on a plate for us .

The victory is so much sweeter when it is hard fought . That is sport .

If you want banal entertainment go to the cinema or a show .

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Let’s go down the American path where draws are not acceptable and they do everything they can To bring ‘ entertainment ‘ to the event.

Yes sometimes matches can be a bit dull but is says more about the fans than the players if they can’t see what is happening in front of them .

How exciting would it be if every match finished 5-4 or 4-5 ? 

People would then complain that it’s too easy to score goals and so it would become boring .

Goals are amazing in football because they’re hard to score , modern society does not do ‘ hard ‘every thing has to be put on a plate for us .

The victory is so much sweeter when it is hard fought . That is sport .

If you want banal entertainment go to the cinema or a show .

As attending football matches is the major entertainment activity in my life, and has been all my adult life, I'm not blind to football's charms, or indeed the satisfaction of watching a tactical duel which results in a shot-free draw...but I'm a die-hard fan. The club doesn't need to make much effort to attract me.

All I'm suggesting is that if City want to get casual fans coming back the entertainment will have to be a bit better than it was yesterday, indeed better than it has been in the majority of home matches in recent times. 

Archived