IGNORED

Atmosphere

pl00peh91

OK, I’ll get shot down for this, but am I the only person on here who doesn’t like being in a singing section? It’s the part of going to away games that I don’t enjoy.

I like watching the game and feeling connected with it. When the singing is going on, it’s a bit like the fans are more interested in themselves than the match - and the noise actually makes the football feel as if it’s further away and disconnected. I find it a bit like watching the match on TV in a bar with the sound turned down or the noise of the bar drowning out the TV sound. I also find the singing fans are often more interested in watching the opposition fans than the players - their secondary rivalry seems to become more important than the game itself.

So yes, I’m perfectly happy to sit in the Lansdown and to just talk about the game with my neighbours. Clearly a lot of people in the stadium feel the same. 

And in case nobody else has noticed, away fans are nearly always louder than home fans, at almost any ground you care to visit. From the Lansdown, away fans are nearly always louder than our singing section. The Forest fans certainly were, throughout the match.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

OK, I’ll get shot down for this, but am I the only person on here who doesn’t like being in a singing section? It’s the part of going to away games that I don’t enjoy.

I like watching the game and feeling connected with it. When the singing is going on, it’s a bit like the fans are more interested in themselves than the match - and the noise actually makes the football feel as if it’s further away and disconnected. I find it a bit like watching the match on TV in a bar with the sound turned down or the noise of the bar drowning out the TV sound. I also find the singing fans are often more interested in watching the opposition fans than the players - their secondary rivalry seems to become more important than the game itself.

So yes, I’m perfectly happy to sit in the Lansdown and to just talk about the game with my neighbours. Clearly a lot of people in the stadium feel the same. 

And in case nobody else has noticed, away fans are nearly always louder than home fans, at almost any ground you care to visit. From the Lansdown, away fans are nearly always louder than our singing section. The Forest fans certainly were, throughout the match.

It's not just you!

Took some neutrals yesterday and genuinely expected Ashton gate to be on it yesterday 

first half was shocking by us, forest very good 

first 20 of second half thought we were great and forest silenced 

then unfortunately died ouT

massive fan of the lads in section 82, however some songs don’t come across well at all, probably due to the points noted above in barely anyone is singing 

14 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Modern football is Sh1te taken over by VAR, profit, rules and regs and is missing Pride, Passion and Belief. Football and Sat at the match is now only left in our memories. Sit down shut up.

Nail on the head.what i,d  give for terracing,no need for tickets,ski hats,rock up,decide on the spur of the moment if it's eastend,park end of enclosure today,no mobile phones,half time scoreboard being the technology of the day!:laugh:

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Just my experience but, per man, we must be the quietest home crowd in the entire football league. 

I doubt it. I don't go to that many away games, but my experience has largely been silent home fans at eg Forest, QPR and Fulham in recent seasons.

7 hours ago, Leveller said:

I doubt it. I don't go to that many away games, but my experience has largely been silent home fans at eg Forest, QPR and Fulham in recent seasons.

Fair enough. I would also, however, describe our fans as largely silent. Can't be far from the worst. 

13 hours ago, Leveller said:

That’s completely fine, I just can’t understand why people want to do this but have a season ticket in the singing section. 

We almost never allow the visitors to fill the Atteo, put proper segregation in place and allow section 82 to fill our bit, not enough space for all of them so that leaves a large number in the South stand, both ends will be singing from the start, huge atmosphere boost which would improve what we see on the pitch, the Gate would still be buzzing even if we were losing!

On 23/11/2019 at 20:54, AshtonPark said:

I think with away fans it depends where you sit, imagine the same with hearing home fans too.

I was in the singing section today and heard forest twice all game.

You could see people singing so not saying they weren’t but not hear anything, it must be purely how noise travels

Often thought this- think sound at our ground doesn't travel well at all, regardless of stand- possibly post the end of the modernised but still old EastEnd.

On 24/11/2019 at 08:52, Dodgy_Giefer said:

I sit in the family area, upper Lansdown. I will sing but I won’t start songs. Sadly no-one starts songs up there. We need more people to be proactive but no-one wants to start a song and not be backed up. Not sure what the answer is. Strategically placed hype men??

Look, the Lansdown and especially the upper.

1. Family type area
  2. Corporate type area
  3. Expensive tickets.
  4. Probably stewarding to reflect.

Nothing wrong with making a noise of course, but it doesn't really feel like the typical area/demographic. I've written off any real hope of noise from the Lansdown. It's a  bit disappointing because it's the biggest stand but the Lansdown really isn't going to be rocking- South Stand and at times Dolman your best bets in home areas for this!

@E.G.Red Thought the lower Dolman bit closest to away end- H block in old money- was a bit noisier/livelier than usual. Some guy in there for a mouth organ I think.

10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Just my experience but, per man, we must be the quietest home crowd in the entire football league. 

Definitely not, also when AG is on form we're actually very good compared to many other clubs. 

Main issue for me is placing S82 physically as far away from the away fans as possible. I think if our singers were in A Block of the Dolman for example, the atmosphere would be far far better. We miss the needle that comes with the interaction. I think that's a huge flaw in how the seating plan for the AG redesign was done. 

Obviously having the team do well helps, but it's no coincidence for me that the atmosphere at home games has got much worse since the EE was shut and we lost that interaction between home and away fans. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Definitely not, also when AG is on form we're actually very good compared to many other clubs. 

Main issue for me is placing S82 physically as far away from the away fans as possible. I think if our singers were in A Block of the Dolman for example, the atmosphere would be far far better. We miss the needle that comes with the interaction. I think that's a huge flaw in how the seating plan for the AG redesign was done. 

Obviously having the team do well helps, but it's no coincidence for me that the atmosphere at home games has got much worse since the EE was shut and we lost that interaction between home and away fans. 

The dreaded SAG or purely club led I wonder?

The EE had great acoustics too- low roof, better than any stand we've got now. All adds up.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

The dreaded SAG or purely club led I wonder?

The EE had great acoustics too- low roof, better than any stand we've got now. All adds up.

Was great in there. I'm a huge fan of S82 but the club has made it very difficult for them with that placement in the corner of the SS. If I had it my way, I wouldn't have away fans behind a goal - too difficult to plan for now, but I'd have stuck the away fans in one of the corners of the Lansdown or the Dolman near the Atyeo and given the entire Atyeo stand to our supporters (with a view to that being the noisy end). 

I think the club is far more accommodating of S82 now than it has been though. Doesn't feel like the club are working against them anymore, and it did in the past. That's progress but it's a shame their placement in the ground is all wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was great in there. I'm a huge fan of S82 but the club has made it very difficult for them with that placement in the corner of the SS. If I had it my way, I wouldn't have away fans behind a goal - too difficult to plan for now, but I'd have stuck the away fans in one of the corners of the Lansdown or the Dolman near the Atyeo and given the entire Atyeo stand to our supporters (with a view to that being the noisy end). 

I think the club is far more accommodating of S82 now than it has been though. Doesn't feel like the club are working against them anymore, and it did in the past. That's progress but it's a shame their placement in the ground is all wrong. 

Went in there once, wish I'd got a season ticket there tbh, in the EE! Yeah, quite a few clubs do that sort of thing- think Aston Villa and Leeds two notable ones- yet two packed ends can also be beneficial for atmosphere if both have equality- ie both allowed to stand, both relaxed about language etc.

Wonder how much was the SAG however- as we know, they don't much like accountability, or scrutiny to say the least.??️‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Went in there once, wish I'd got a season ticket there tbh, in the EE! Yeah, quite a few clubs do that sort of thing- think Aston Villa and Leeds two notable ones- yet two packed ends can also be beneficial for atmosphere if both have equality- ie both allowed to stand, both relaxed about language etc.

Wonder how much was the SAG however- as we know, they don't much like accountability, or scrutiny to say the least.??️‍♂️

I get the impression groups like SAG are very very cautious - which I suppose you'd expect. Could well have been their input that decided the seating plan, but due to the lack of transparency it's impossible to know!

I

16 hours ago, Leveller said:

I feel exact opposite. 

Home fans are generally quite quiet in the FL but I always thought Ashton Gate was pretty good up to most, not quite as good as Huddersfield or Leeds but far from the likes of Reading & MK Dons.

However the past couple of seasons haven't been great, I've even stopped joining in as much as I used to. 

It's a mix of a few things. 

I believe it's mainly down to the football being played on the pitch. It's boring and there's not much to get the crowd going. Ultimately if this improves, so will the atmos.

Another reason already been mentioned is down to how far away we are from the away fans. Even when the football was shite, you could still give them some throughout to get a reaction!

I'd also say quite a few of the songs we have now are poor. The Brownhill one is probably the worst, and 8 men had a dream is dreary.

'We're the red and white army' to Seven Nation Army is horrible just before kick off as well. 

I’m in that corner and it is now poor . People have seemed to have given up. It’s just pockets of fans giving it a go . And with the lack of action in the games people aren’t interested. 

I went to the Poland U21 game in the summer. Poland fans created an amazing atmosphere . All going of in there with pyro and firecrackers. Stewards done nothing. Bloke 2 seats away from me started using a vape and the steward threatened to kick him out . Unbelievable Jeff 

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hit nail on head!!!

The singing section need to stick to the old songs from the east end and get behind the team from the warm up as for phone torches ffs it’s a football match ,shout and ball and let all your aggression out aim it at the pitch ,we were once a noted end in football now a load of silly little boys MAN UP don’t worry what the person sat next to you thinks , if he don’t like it he shouldn’t be in a singing area !

Archived