IGNORED

Atmosphere

pl00peh91

Well everyone I go with loves  a good old sing song,Saturday was no different and we sung a few songs,but there were a lot of young ‘uns near us who were constantly on their phones,or generally ******* about and not taking much notice of the game,they seemed to have the attention span of a half dead gnat.not once did they attempt to  join in with any song or encourage the team in general.

It's the same mentality that meant that when the club put prices up massively for children and disabled fans, there was no fight. 

The club is devoid of passion. Everyone tries to blame everything else but themselves. It's the clubs fault. It's other fans fault. It's the performances. 

I spent years singing every song in what is now S82, but when it dawned on me that the vast majority of fans at AG did not share my views, I stopped attending. Football clubs are about unity and local pride. There's none of that at AG these days.

Football was an escape from life.

Dirt, extremities, and various supressed emotions is an album.

But at football you had that and let the emotions go.

Now you have stewards keeping the emotions in.

A controlled singing section.

"Singing area". It's very existence tells you where the problem is rooted … It was the end.

19 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

AG was like a morgue v Notts Forest. Just terrible.
With watching City, we need a performance to get the atmosphere going, rather than the other way round. Indictment of the football I have watched at home games all season really. Poor!

Couldn't even hear much from the Singing Section, which is/was disappointing!

Granted the way the game is now here, away fans can often be noisier than home but even so...perhaps sound doesn't travel so well at AG though?

Unsure how well expectation suits us at this time too- @Phileas Fogg made the point I think, and some other posters in the past have also suggested we're better, or the crowd more up for it when we're underdogs.

@Sixtyseconds Probably been tried but some kind of pragmatism- ie at times top row of Dolman/South, standing seems to be tolerated- if they make a noise maybe fans even if sat can join in. That's the only real workaround I can think of though.

I've often thought it isn't helped by S82 being a huge distance away from away supporters -who they'd "compete" with for volume - and in a corner of the ground not particularly audible to many Dolman-based fans who admittedly aren't the loudest, but can be louder in my experience than those in the Lansdown.

I'd move the singing section to the area of the Lansdown nearest the Atyeo. There is decent segregation because of the gap, and for "difficult" clubs, like the Welsh ones and Millwall etc, you could net off the end terracing.

I'm sure volume levels would increase and that would encourage the quieter areas of AG.

It is quieter now with our bigger crowds than it was during struggling years with half as many punters in. No doubt about it.

As others have said, it seems to be a modern phenomenon, not just seen at City. I wonder if football songs will eventually go the way of rattles and scarf waving etc? I hope not.

On 25/11/2019 at 09:02, Phileas Fogg said:

Was great in there. I'm a huge fan of S82 but the club has made it very difficult for them with that placement in the corner of the SS. If I had it my way, I wouldn't have away fans behind a goal - too difficult to plan for now, but I'd have stuck the away fans in one of the corners of the Lansdown or the Dolman near the Atyeo and given the entire Atyeo stand to our supporters (with a view to that being the noisy end). 

I think the club is far more accommodating of S82 now than it has been though. Doesn't feel like the club are working against them anymore, and it did in the past. That's progress but it's a shame their placement in the ground is all wrong. 

I agree that the placement isn’t ideal, but that’s what you get with a redevelopment rather than a new build. The suggestions are interesting but there are several disadvantages with them.  The Atyeo is cut off from the main concourse under the other 3 stands, so putting the home fans there would limit them to the worse facilities in the ground. If the away fans were in a corner of either the Lansdown or Dolman stands then a large portion of the respective concourse would need to be given over to them. 

Probably the worse problem would be standing, as away fans always stand. If, for example, 2,000 away fans were standing  in the corner of the Dolman then the home fans in the block next to them would not be able to see what was happening in the corner of the pitch. They would be forced to stand, blocking the view of fans next to them,  who would then have to stand and so on. Eventually the whole Dolman would be standing, which is fine for those who want to, but not for those who don’t. 

Seriously debating whether to renew next season. That section has become dead. The problem for me lies in the way everything is so strict now, cant even stand on a chair without being threatened to be rejected, people have started to give up. I always get the feeling the club doesn't want fans like us anymore. Football wants the cultural supporters out and replaced with families. 

31 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Seriously debating whether to renew next season. That section has become dead. The problem for me lies in the way everything is so strict now, cant even stand on a chair without being threatened to be rejected, people have started to give up. I always get the feeling the club doesn't want fans like us anymore. Football wants the cultural supporters out and replaced with families. 

Said the same to my lad on Saturday, we used to both love it in there , lots of flags , twopoles , and lots of noise , however of late it’s been piss poor , not many singing , people looking at phones and lots in the concourse ! 
the home football has been poor for a while , might have something to do with it ! 
last time there was an atmosphere that I can recall was when we used to sing Aden flints having a party , your defence is terrified etc.  Will see how it goes , might look to change seats next year , which is a shame as me and my lad both love singing at football, but it’s not the same when there’s not many doing it 

Why dont the s82 lot just get in Atyeo end of the Dolman?  Get closer to the away fans and actually have some interaction! 

I know its too late this season but nothing stopping it from happening next. 

Its never going to work how it is. Ive seen much better atmosphere's at league 1 grounds with 5k fans as they're are much closer.  

Archived