IGNORED

Have we blown it allready

Tammyjr

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

No.

We have just drawn against a team that was one of the few above us heading into these fixtures.

Poor not to be able to break down their 10 men, but a result most would have taken before the game.

I always enjoy your positive energy and studious posts. November is far to early to say we’ve blown it, but something in the way Johnson manages the team has to change.

32 minutes ago, Tammyjr said:

We all get our hopes at the start of the season but come this time of year reality sinks in

Yep the reality that we are 7th and in for a great chance of the play offs is really sinking in. I'm delighted. 

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Yeah, for them probably

No chance. In the minutes before the sending off the momentum was really with us.

• Admin
1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not high scoring,thought we were in the top 3 in our league 

Hmm, that made me look, joint 4th now with a rate of 1.47 per game, so we concede too many, as our goal difference is poor and we are joint 11th on goals conceded.  My comment was purely perception based, I hadn’t looked at the figures, to be joint 4th top scorers with those figures now makes me wonder if this a low scoring league this season or if compares to other years?

Maybe it’s just the games I have seen that have given me the perception we aren’t a high scoring team, I’m going to have to go and do some analysis of other seasons now...... damn you ?

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I always enjoy your positive energy and studious posts. November is far to early to say we’ve blown it, but something in the way Johnson manages the team has to change.

Saying we've blown it in November when we are 2 points off 3rd is like celebrating the League 1 title in November.

I do agree with the latter part, but also feel like in some respects LJ can't win.

We used to play with an attacking 4-5-1 and fans complained that "it's one striker up front" and "we're too open at the back" some even asking for a 3-5-2/5-3-2.

We had a lot of narrow defeats where we were pushing for a late winner and were caught on the break.

So Johnson tried to correct it, we've now gone to a 3-5-2/5-3-2 and people are asking for a 4-5-1. We've become tighter at the back, but we're now too defensive (there is validity here).

Johnson did the correct thing in trying to make us more solid and less gung ho in matches, but I think he has over adjusted it a bit.

I emphasise "a bit" because I don't think we are actually too far off the right place. We are still only 2 points from third and have had a number of key players injured, some of whom are returning now, this itself can cause a bit of disruption when they have been longer term injuries and the players don't have the cohesion with the new signings.

To have us in that position with those injuries suggests he is getting it right more often than not- that's not to say there are no mistakes. Today we were far too one dimensional once Eliasson came on, though we should have scored at least once from those (mainly) fantastic deliveries.

Over the coming weeks, certainly by Christmas, I think the performances will improve, a mix of the players coming back and that little extra cohesion between those who have returned and the new signings who they would have had little training time with thus far because of the injuries.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Saying we've blown it in November when we are 2 points off 3rd is like celebrating the League 1 title in November.

I do agree with the latter part, but also feel like in some respects LJ can't win.

We used to play with an attacking 4-5-1 and fans complained that "it's one striker up front" and "we're too open at the back" some even asking for a 3-5-2/5-3-2.

We had a lot of narrow defeats where we were pushing for a late winner and were caught on the break.

So Johnson tried to correct it, we've now gone to a 3-5-2/5-3-2 and people are asking for a 4-5-1. We've become tighter at the back, but we're now too defensive (there is validity here).

Johnson did the correct thing in trying to make us more solid and less gung ho in matches, but I think he has over adjusted it a bit.

I emphasise "a bit" because I don't think we are actually too far off the right place. We are still only 2 points from third and have had a number of key players injured, some of whom are returning now, this itself can cause a bit of disruption when they have been longer term injuries and the players don't have the cohesion with the new signings.

To have us in that position with those injuries suggests he is getting it right more often than not- that's not to say there are no mistakes. Today we were far too one dimensional once Eliasson came on, though we should have scored at least once from those (mainly) fantastic deliveries.

Over the coming weeks, certainly by Christmas, I think the performances will improve, a mix of the players coming back and that little extra cohesion between those who have returned and the new signings who they would have had little training time with thus far because of the injuries.

I don’t blame Johnson 100%. Financial constraints mean he will never be able to deliver his football effectively. Fammy, O’Dowda etc are the work horse stat machines he craves but don’t have enough quality to be effective at the same time. Players who have both don’t play for us.

1 hour ago, Tammyjr said:

Obviously not played it all my life ????

Then you should know better than to ask such a pointless, meaningless question. 17 games gone in 46 game campaign, 2pts off 3rd, lost 2 games all season thus far, only bettered by West Brom. Not exactly sure how much better you want things to be and where you think we should be in the table instead?

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Yeah we are 2 points off third. Can’t see how we can make that up. Season blown 

Even I don't understand how anyone can say we've 'blown it' already 

I will however say....this season has all the make up of the last two under LJ. We are no where near good enough at home and the style of football we are playing is awful, in fact it seems to be getting worse. I really don't know what we are trying to achieve some games. As for that, I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a home game....

What will be interesting is If we get to New Year and we are still in and around where we are now.....Lansdown will HAVE to invest. I like to think the fans will not accept another pathetic transfer window like we have had the last two years. 

There really is no excuses not to make a real assault on top 6 this season. 

If we are allowed to let another season dwindle away, I for one think we should be asking serious questions on the people running this club, both on and off the pitch 

18 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I don’t blame Johnson 100%. Financial constraints mean he will never be able to deliver his football effectively. Fammy, O’Dowda etc are the work horse stat machines he craves but don’t have enough quality to be effective at the same time. Players who have both don’t play for us.

To be clear, the thoughts on Johnson was more of a general musing than a response to anyone.

A lot of truth in what you said there, but not entirely sure what can be done with respect to the financial constraints.

I know we had a large profit for the last year, but that only mitigates our losses from before and kept us within the rolling FFP budget with a small amount for January.

If this financial year is quite neutral (would require a January sale or two) then that should give us a fair budget for next season, even before any trading next summer.

@Mr Popodopolous or @Davefevs would be able to clarify or expand on that though.

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Even I don't understand how anyone can say we've 'blown it' already 

I will however say....this season has all the make up of the last two under LJ. We are no where near good enough at home and the style of football we are playing is awful, in fact it seems to be getting worse. I really don't know what we are trying to achieve some games. As for that, I honestly cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a home game....

What will be interesting is If we get to New Year and we are still in and around where we are now.....Lansdown will HAVE to invest. I like to think the fans will not accept another pathetic transfer window like we have had the last two years. 

There really is no excuses not to make a real assault on top 6 this season. 

If we are allowed to let another season dwindle away, I for one think we should be asking serious questions on the people running this club, both on and off the pitch 

Bentley, Pereira, Williams, Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Afobe, Massengo, Nagy.......yes what a PATHETIC transfer window that was!! 

Archived