IGNORED

Have we blown it allready

Tammyjr

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I would manage your expectations. Our home form is nowhere near good enough for promotion. Clubs like WBA and Leeds will start to break away from the pack soon

Possibly, but Leeds have form for struggling after Xmas too.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

It does but we are now 5 unbeaten is it? And before the game I'd have settled for a point.

Yes, that’s a positive, after a poor result v Luton.  We are tough to beat.  We are improving at home.  Today was a game we’d have gone in a 0-1 last season...and have to chase.  We lost 7/23 last season.  We’ve lost 1/8 this season.  If we can turn 3 or 4 of those defeats into draws (like today), and the odd draw into a win, we will be 5/6/7 points better off, and that’s enough for top 6.

Its frustrating today, of course it is, but we weren’t shit, we got into their final third comfortably in the second half, but lacked that sparkle....and Forest defended very well.  They are a good side.

I don’t see us as a team that wins 4 or 5 on the trot and gains big points over our closest rivals, but we keep ticking over, win one, draw one, etc.

Having said that we did have a big winning streak last season.

Today’s point, won’t define our season.  Smart money was on a draw today, you hope with 30+ minutes against 10 men you get that goal, but I suspect Charlton thought that against us!

Philosophical this evening. 

Haven't watched as at AG for a while but went today, felt Forest were just of a similar standard to us and we cancelled eachother out. Should've finished them off at 10 men and I didn't really like our starting formation.. but reading this forum you'd think we'd just lost 0-3 or something.

Ref was a bit niggly too which didn't help the flow of the game.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly, but Leeds have form for struggling after Xmas too.

Yes, that’s a positive, after a poor result v Luton.  We are tough to beat.  We are improving at home.  Today was a game we’d have gone in a 0-1 last season...and have to chase.  We lost 7/23 last season.  We’ve lost 1/8 this season.  If we can turn 3 or 4 of those defeats into draws (like today), and the odd draw into a win, we will be 5/6/7 points better off, and that’s enough for top 6.

Its frustrating today, of course it is, but we weren’t shit, we got into their final third comfortably in the second half, but lacked that sparkle....and Forest defended very well.  They are a good side.

I don’t see us as a team that wins 4 or 5 on the trot and gains big points over our closest rivals, but we keep ticking over, win one, draw one, etc.

Having said that we did have a big winning streak last season.

Today’s point, won’t define our season.  Smart money was on a draw today, you hope with 30+ minutes against 10 men you get that goal, but I suspect Charlton thought that against us!

Philosophical this evening. 

I saw today as two good teams just cancelling each other out and I kind of expected that before the game. I think maybe the game would have opened up a little more in the latter stages for both sides without the sending off. Overall a decent point tho .

24 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I meant the last two January transfer windows 

The majority of clubs prefer to do business in the summer window, not the winter one. 
Players are always more expensive in January as less are available. It’s not a good time to sign anyone unless the club is is in dire need and City are in dire need of a striker.

That said, I wouldn’t be remotely surprised to see nothing happen in January.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

The majority of clubs prefer to do business in the summer window, not the winter one. 
Players are always more expensive in January as less are available. It’s not a good time to sign anyone unless the club is is in dire need and City are in dire need of a striker.

That said, I wouldn’t be remotely surprised to see nothing happen in January.

Neither would I . That's the sad thing 

7 hours ago, Tammyjr said:

We all get our hopes at the start of the season but come this time of year reality sinks in

Piss off mate, I’m just happy if we’re not staring a potential relegation dogfight in the face come this time of year. To be where we are with the injuries we’ve had is brilliant imo.

14 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Yep, definitely blown it, only a mere 25 games to go

‘Blown it” be careful. A win at west Brom or an entertaining  draw I bet your one of the ones posting how good we played on Wednesday night.

I think anyone with an ounce of sense can see that we've blown it.  To be honest, I'm looking over my shoulder at teams like Middlesbrough who got another point today and are now closing the gap.

The bright side though?  We can at last concentrate on the Cup!! ?

A frustrating draw - I felt like the period up to the red card we were getting a good foot hold in the game.

Ironically, had the red not come, yes we probably would have conceded a few more chances, but I feel we probably would have had a better chance of creating a clear cut one or two ourselves.

After the red, Forest did what you hate seeing from opposition teams but love seeing your team do. A near text book display of gamesmanship and backs to the wall defending to see out the time. 

Season over? No.

Frustration, yes, because it’s hard not to look at a few more moments over the last 10 games and see we...could....be sitting so much prettier. But that for me shows we ARE going in the right direction, we are progressing, but just still missing what much of the championship also misses, which is that consistent game winning magic.

50 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

A frustrating draw - I felt like the period up to the red card we were getting a good foot hold in the game.

Ironically, had the red not come, yes we probably would have conceded a few more chances, but I feel we probably would have had a better chance of creating a clear cut one or two ourselves.

After the red, Forest did what you hate seeing from opposition teams but love seeing your team do. A near text book display of gamesmanship and backs to the wall defending to see out the time. 

Season over? No.

Frustration, yes, because it’s hard not to look at a few more moments over the last 10 games and see we...could....be sitting so much prettier. But that for me shows we ARE going in the right direction, we are progressing, but just still missing what much of the championship also misses, which is that consistent game winning magic.

Exactly how I saw it, the game was just opening up, momentum had shifted to us but the sending off killed the game as Forest then parked the proverbial bus, we all know we struggle to play against teams that do that. 

I'm not sure what Forest did tactically after the sending off but most teams normally sacrifice a striker or a attacking midfielder so defensively for them there isnt any noticable difference.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Exactly how I saw it, the game was just opening up, momentum had shifted to us but the sending off killed the game as Forest then parked the proverbial bus, we all know we struggle to play against teams that do that. 

I'm not sure what Forest did tactically after the sending off but most teams normally sacrifice a striker or a attacking midfielder so defensively for them there isnt any noticable difference.

They brought Albert on for Ameobi to give them better better discipline / shape defensively.  Ameobi plays a fairly free role and doesn’t track back.  Albert, although not great defensively, will work and work.

17 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Did they?

I seem to recall them having a number of chances on the break even at 11 v 10- or at least moves that could have led to chances. I'd say yes they became more defensive naturally, but they are naturally quite a reactive side in any case so an ability to make the centre more compact, and break vs a home side going for it more actually suited or would suit them, or a side like them, quite well.

On a side note, given that hitting the post doesn't count as a shot on target, I'm unsure we had one.

On 23/11/2019 at 17:31, Tammyjr said:

Perhaps dropping points at home dosent bother you 

5 games unbeaten and 9 points in those games and should have been 11 (Barnsley).

2 games lost so far.

4th - 7th on the same number of points.

Players coming back from injury.

england.png Bristol City after 17 matches in the same league / division
  GP W D L GF GA Pts * Comparison
2019-2020 17 7 8 2 25 21 29 -
2018-2019 17 6 4 7 20 19 22 + 7 pts
2017-2018 17 8 7 2 26 16 31 -2 pts
2016-2017 17 7 3 7 23 20 24 + 5 pts
2015-2016 17 3 7 7 18 27 16 + 13 pts
2012-2013 17 3 3 11 25 34 12 + 17 pts
2011-2012 17 4 4 9 16 28 16 + 13 pts
2010-2011 17 4 5 8 17 28 17 + 12 pts

We've blown it...

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

5 games unbeaten and 9 points in those games and should have been 11 (Barnsley).

2 games lost so far.

We've blown it...

Love the stats but you're missing one key factor: season objective. 

Performance has to be measured against expectations. 

If Johnson's target is to win the league, then arguably, he's blown it already (although that really depends on Wednesday). 

Given that his target is probably to finish top 6, our form this season is nearly there, and close enough to be open minded about the possibility of achieving that target in May.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Love the stats but you're missing one key factor: season objective. 

Performance has to be measured against expectations. 

If Johnson's target is to win the league, then arguably, he's blown it already (although that really depends on Wednesday). 

Given that his target is probably to finish top 6, our form this season is nearly there, and close enough to be open minded about the possibility of achieving that target in May.

If the expectation was to win the league then I'd argue that it was blown before the season started.

9 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

2 games lost so far.

We've blown it...

Against the teams we played last season, we are 1 point better this.  If you add in the promoted and relegated teams into their respective positions (from last season’s teams) we are 5 points better off.

Another way of disecting the fixtures so far, with my little summary afterwards.

Against the Top 8:

P5 W0 D4 L1 Pts4 - not letting any of them get away from us

Middle 8:

P6 W5 D1 L0 Pts16 - distancing ourselves

Bottom 8:

P6 W2 D3 L1 Pts9 - not taking advantage

Archived