IGNORED

Eliasson

Derk94

2 hours ago, Roe said:

Don't think that's fair. He tracked back a fair few times to win it back. He was trying to be composed on the ball and look for quality while the rest of the team were in frantic desperation mode or relying on Eliasson.

It's no wonder Palmer couldn't find a killer pass through with Forest sat so deep and settling for a draw.  It's why Palmer needs to play for much longer than just 25 mins.  We know he has that quality and he's shown it at various points of games. It's just he's rarely given a full opportunity to do so.

It was noticeable that every time he got given the ball three or four of their players surrounded him to limit what he could do. They didn`t do that with any other midfield player.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Bizarre isn’t it. My inkling at the time was to give massive credit to LJ, but he’s now proving that it can only have been luck. We’ve got absolutely nowhere near that football and I think that’s the identity that is often referred to... only it’s been missing for two years!

It cannot have been luck. Luck is an uncontrollable. The way the team played has to be down to Mr Johnson but it was not the result of long term planning. 

The team has not got near that football again as Mr Johnson has not intended to. If the intent was the recruitment has been inexplicable. 

4 hours ago, paul_fox said:

He's not really started since we signed him so Johnson must've know he wouldn't fit so why sign him 

Best, or one of the stand out players the summer build up, as mentioned by LJ himself...  but still has to get splinters in his arse for 60 minutes every game.

I agree with @BRISTOL86 I don't like the back 5. There wasn't any need for it either today. 

I appreciate he might be good to have in the dressing room, but I don't really rate Bailey Wright at all. He's solid, but if we have aspirations of being top 6 he shouldn't be starting. We didn't need to play him in a back 5 today. 

I think we'd have caused more problems with a 4-5-1/433

Bentley; Pereira, Williams, Baker, Rowe; Nagy, Brownhill; Weimann, Palmer, Eliasson; Diedhiou.

I think I'd have preferred something like that. I can see why O'Dowda started, not a huge fan personally. 

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Has been a bit overlooked but that was a bad, bad miss by pro footballer standards. You just can't go missing chances like that in the Championship.

Agree. Just head it down. I wonder if he was thinking about heading it across goal and ended up doing neither.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He is exciting to watch, and the crosses look really threatening, all whip and pace, but very few actually hit the mark.  I think his crosses would be more effective on the other side, swinging away from the opposition CBs.

I'm with you. He's a player who does spectacular things that excite fans and stick in the mind. You've outlined well how his assists are inflated by corners and freekicks - the equivalent of a striker harping on about 10 goals when 7 are penalties. His underlying stats just don't show him to be this all-solving golden bullet.

Build a team around him and you put out a one dimensional XI. Opposition managers will just get their fullbacks to close him down and neutralise all threat.

He's much better used as an alternative weapon to mix up a game and cause havoc against a tired defence.

Keep using him as he's being used.

One of those feet on the ground headers that you try and put power into, but jerk your head forward too quickly and head it upwards.  It always seems to happen, anywhere on the pitch.  Not defending him at all, but a little jump would’ve made it easier.

Jon - Imagine he had scored. You might’ve had to quit otib ???

Seriously though, it was a good chance. 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Just head it down. I wonder if he was thinking about heading it across goal and ended up doing neither.

I thought that at the time. He got caught between the two. SCORE ffs, you're in front of goal

which leads me onto another kettle of fish

We play wing backs that aren't much threat to the oppo

Jack Hunt being the exception this season

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I thought that at the time. He got caught between the two. SCORE ffs, you're in front of goal

which leads me onto another kettle of fish

We play wing backs that aren't much threat

Jack Hunt being the exception this season

Today Forest made it very difficult for the likes of Brownhill and O'Dowda in central positions. We needed more in wide areas.

I think Pereira has the pace and technique to be a good attacking wing back. But his decision was awful today.

Rowe is physically strong, but has no speed whatsoever. If we play these two then we might need to play 4 at the back where they can do a more basic defensive job. If Rowe has Eliasson ahead of him then Rowe has a lot less attacking responsibilty than he does when he is wing back.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Today Forest made it very difficult for the likes of Brownhill and O'Dowda in central positions. We needed more in wide areas.

I think Pereira has the pace and technique to be a good attacking wing back. But his decision was awful today.

Rowe is physically strong, but has no speed whatsoever. If we play these two then we might need to play 4 at the back where they can do a more basic defensive job. If Rowe has Eliasson ahead of him then Rowe has a lot less attacking responsibilty than he does when he is wing back.

Sadly (and not sadly, due to where we are in a tough league :laugh:) LJ sets up time after time to frustrate the oppo, not lose, and if we nick the result... AppyDAZE!! (eg Cardiff last week, Stoke, Derby, Hull etc etc)

Frustrating for the home fans to have to watch, but a winning formula for the away matches in general yes. Will it ultimately get Steve Lansdown his dream of PL footy... I guess the jury is out

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Had enough of this 3-5-2 bullshit with two full backs as wing backs.

That lucky 0-1 at Cardiff has really papered over the cracks of some really dire results lately

I just think the wing backs Pedro and Rowe are not fast enough or good enough for that role. Will work better when Dasilva and Hunt are restored to the side.

3 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

I did wonder how long it would be before someone spouted this bollox again. Imo for all the lengthy injuries we’ve had to deal with from the very 1st game of the season we’ve done considerably well. LJ’s only downfall to me is that during games at AG he’s more worried about what the opposition are trying to do rather than just going abit more gung-ho and going for it, it works better away from home.

Are you saying your happy with the home performances? because as someone who had a season ticket for over 25 years and this season is a member and picks their home games having attended 5 this season and not been very happy with any of the performances it's about time the real bcfc turned up at home, because I for one am growing a little tired of the excuses even the injury list one is beginning to wear a little thin.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think this is the only way to give Eliasson a start. It will take some attacking duties off of Rowe too. 

I agree with @Davefevs when it comes to NE, glad you said you had doubts first :clapping:
He usually comes on when we're pressing , or the opposition is siting a little deeper and he has space. He then knocks crosses in and people get excited, problem is few actually hit the mark. Couple of shockers today when the clock was running down, that always makes it seem worse. 
If he starts , I want to see him on his natural side and whip crosses in. Take the full back on and not have to cut back every time. I think we know it isn't going to happen any time soon, as LJ seems obsessed with playing wingers on the wrong wings. Just once I would like to see some proper old fashioned wing play.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Are you saying your happy with the home performances? because as someone who had a season ticket for over 25 years and this season is a member and picks their home games having attended 5 this season and not been very happy with any of the performances it's about time the real bcfc turned up at home, because I for one am growing a little tired of the excuses even the injury list one is beginning to wear a little thin.

I’m not one who’s overly bothered over performances just aslong as we are doing well, to which we are, that was my point, I’m happy with where we currently stand this season. Whether it’s wearing thin on you or not we’ve had absolute shit luck with injuries this season, from day 1 so yes it’s altered our season and how LJ wants us to play massively, DaSilva, Kalas, Nagy, Afobe all starters who were out for weeks with only 2 having just returned, so yes injuries are still effecting our squad. As I mentioned before though at AG LJ really needs to concentrate on what we can do when set up to attack straight from the off rather than what the opposition may come and do, let them worry about us.

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Palmer and Eliasson are our two best players. And neither start. 

Oooh I love grinding out ‘industrious’ 0-0 draws. 

Unluckily for you we dont tend to grind out 0-0 draws.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

6 assists this season.

1. Weimann goal v Leeds.  An assist in name only, really a solo run by Weimann (but it’s in the stats book)
  2. Palmer header v Boro - from left wing open play (following a set play)
  3. Diedhiou header v Reading - the only open play right wing assist this season
  4. Pereira header v Wigan - right side corner
  5. Williams header v Barnsley - left wing set piece
  6. Weimann header v Barnsley - right side corner

I am in the minority re Eliasson.  Not that I don’t rate him, I’m just not as convinced by the numbers.

Today:

E8B5E221-A3B2-407E-A9A9-E45EF37DFC2B.thumb.jpeg.c9aab5356c3b3a52ed34e8af582eeb2f.jpeg

Those red crosses (unsuccessful) got further away from the bye-line (never know if that’s the right spelling) as the game wore on, and became increasingly ineffective with each cross.  There are 3 almost identically angled crosses from that orange upside down v icon!

He is exciting to watch, and the crosses look really threatening, all whip and pace, but very few actually hit the mark.  I think his crosses would be more effective on the other side, swinging away from the opposition CBs.

I sit dead in line with where NE usually crosses the ball when attacking the SS. Today I was actually thinking about his crossing during the game and was trying to decide if these unsuccessful crosses were down to him or down to his team mates lack of ability to get on the end of theee crosses..

We got Eliasson, Palmer, Wonderboy. COD start every game, for me its a big? Have always had faith in LJ but know he have to think different. Understand that we play safe but at home we should dictate the game. Draw 30 min left, we can not always rely that the subs comes on and change the game. As another said on this forum: why does we buy creative players If we dont play them.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I sit dead in line with where NE usually crosses the ball when attacking the SS. Today I was actually thinking about his crossing during the game and was trying to decide if these unsuccessful crosses were down to him or down to his team mates lack of ability to get on the end of theee crosses..

I thought the movement in the box was poor today. Some of the crosses were decent and if Someone (Fammy ?) had been on their toes to anticipate the cross and got across the front of their marker then there was a goal or two to be had. I assume Rodri was brought on as he is a bit of a tap in merchant and the ball was dropping in the box at times.

12 hours ago, shelts said:

He’s not the answer . We are better than just swinging it into the box from wides 

Yep. That's why he doesnt start more. Don't get me wrong, I really like his attacking intent but nothing is gained from whipping in ball after ball into a congested mixer hoping someone will get on the end of it. We are better than that. Eliasson also doesn't offer strong defensive abilities. 
LJ has to explain this away as a 'system' reason for not picking him. He's not going to knock him as a player 

8 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

I’m not one who’s overly bothered over performances just aslong as we are doing well, to which we are, that was my point, I’m happy with where we currently stand this season. Whether it’s wearing thin on you or not we’ve had absolute shit luck with injuries this season, from day 1 so yes it’s altered our season and how LJ wants us to play massively, DaSilva, Kalas, Nagy, Afobe all starters who were out for weeks with only 2 having just returned, so yes injuries are still effecting our squad. As I mentioned before though at AG LJ really needs to concentrate on what we can do when set up to attack straight from the off rather than what the opposition may come and do, let them worry about us.

I get your point, but as far as home performances are concerned it just seems to be a continuation of last season where again most games were disappointing, if only we could play at home like we seem to away.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think a ball coming from that angle, despite Nic’s talent for whipping them in, is hard to get on someone’s head. Fam’s header v Reading was 50% decent movement and 50% awful defending. The box also wasn’t full. 

5 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Remember Eliasson put a low ball in the box, Forest player got a feet on it and hit the post. Think sometimes NE should be more selfish. When he takes his man he coould go central and shoot. Eliasson is not the whole answer how we play but fact is when he is on the pitch something happens.

That was Weimann who crossed it. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Eliasson is fantastic with his quick feet and crosses . He causes panic everytime in the opposition box. 

I would love him to mix it up a bit to sometimes get into the box himself either to shoot or draw a foul .

It could be carnage .

I think there is merit in that. The fullback has often committed his block and Nic could then take another touch and get a shot off. Was it QPR last season where he did that.

I still think Fam might be able to get on more crosses coming from Nic on the left wing where they are either stood up or curling away from the CBs and onto Fam’s ‘swede’.  He can generate awesome power in his headers. 

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know it's going over old ground and there were other circumstances but Djuric was tailor made for Eliasson. Real shame we never quite got to see him at his best injury free. 

I am not sure if he would be. You may be right. But what I see from Eliasson's crosses is how much we need one or two sharp players to attack those flat whipped in balls.

Diedhiou being a big guy never seems to manage to get to them. Djuric may have had the same problems. 

5 hours ago, Brooko said:

Yep. That's why he doesnt start more. Don't get me wrong, I really like his attacking intent but nothing is gained from whipping in ball after ball into a congested mixer hoping someone will get on the end of it. We are better than that. Eliasson also doesn't offer strong defensive abilities. 
LJ has to explain this away as a 'system' reason for not picking him. He's not going to knock him as a player 

Well put and I agree . Our Fammy rarely gets in front or across his marker . Albert came on and showed more Eliasson . 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think a ball coming from that angle, despite Nic’s talent for whipping them in, is hard to get on someone’s head. Fam’s header v Reading was 50% decent movement and 50% awful defending. The box also wasn’t full. 

That was Weimann who crossed it. 

I think there is merit in that. The fullback has often committed his block and Nic could then take another touch and get a shot off. Was it QPR last season where he did that.

I still think Fam might be able to get on more crosses coming from Nic on the left wing where they are either stood up or curling away from the CBs and onto Fam’s ‘swede’.  He can generate awesome power in his headers. 

Archived