IGNORED

One trick pony

BCFCinNW6

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Although I don’t think O’Dowda has a great game today (on the periphery too much, apart from one run), I thought it was crying out for the diamond when they went down to 10 men.  Nagy at the base, Josh right, Callum left, and Kasey at the point.  I think he tried to go 4222, but we got the ball down the right so often it became a right lop-sided 442.  They did what we do, force the ball wide out of danger.  We needed to play inside the lines of the 18 yard box, with our fullbacks giving an overlap if needed.  I would’ve given that 10 minutes before going for Eliasson.

It was too slow 1st half, granted.  And Rowe had a couple of chances to receive and dart forward, but he didn’t.  Second half, very different, Baker fed him quicker, and Rowe took the ball forward, establishing our position into their final third, before engaging the rest of our team.  I think you’re expecting him to try and play like a winger.  That’s not his role.  He provided with, and again got in at the back stick twice, once Baker took it off him, second, he messed up his header.

One other thing to be mindful of is typically a LWB would have a striker making good runs.  However, Rowe is hamstrung by Diedhiou often being the left-sided striker....the options to give and go with Fam, or tuck one round the corner are virtually non-existent.  Look what extra movement we get on the other side through Weimann.  I think you need to look beyond Rowe as your constant gripe.  He gets slow service in the main from Baker and little option from Diedhiou.  They are a big factor in why Rowe may not be as expansive as you’d like.

But it’s your opinion, fair enough.  Let’s just see whether Jay Dasilva gives you similar frustrations on his return.  Don’t forget he had the superb Adam Webster on his side of the field last season, and that created wonderful options to be expressive, because Webster could draw players away to give Jay the space.  Don’t get we wrong Dasilva is an upgrade on Rowe at LB/LWB.

I think Dasilva would have loved all that space to attack when they were down to 10 men. For me O'Dowda should have stayed on as a very attacking left back. They had so many problems on the other side of the pitch with Eliasson, we had an extra man. We should have given them a constant threat down our left side too. It may have created more room centrally too for Palmer etc.

Archived