IGNORED

It's not rocket science

harvey54

What a rubbish thread.  The club’s attempts to sign a striker in the summer are well documented.  Does the OP really think that the club don’t know we need another striker?  Of course they do.  What the hell has rocket science got to do with anything?  Sorry, but the arrogance of fans thinking they are the only ones who really understand what needs to be done never fails to astonish me.  The window will open in January and we will try to sign a striker, end of story.

59 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I am Captain Obvious but if you can see it and I can see it why can't they? How long have we been banging on about it? 

You can be absolutely sure that LJ and his recruitment team will have been working hard in finding a suitable striker ever since Afobe was injured.

The issue is the transfer window doesn’t open until January.......

It is isn’t rocket science. This isn’t a promotion type team. Once we come to terms with that we can all go back to enjoying it again. We are a top half side that is it. A grind out point at home to forest where we don’t have a shot on target is our ceiling barring a miraculous move for a Gayle or someone like that. Otherwise look forward to another mediocre championship season next year without Brownhill and probably Massengo

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is isn’t rocket science. This isn’t a promotion type team. Once we come to terms with that we can all go back to enjoying it again. We are a top half side that is it. A grind out point at home to forest where we don’t have a shot on target is our ceiling barring a miraculous move for a Gayle or someone like that. Otherwise look forward to another mediocre championship season next year without Brownhill and probably Massengo

The voice of common sense. Thank you

2 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

The voice of common sense. Thank you

I am probably being harsh and several pints in but I am just so bored of our home performances. Also injuries have been horrible but who coming back is going to solve put attacking problems? Answer is Afobe at best after March international break. The outlook for this season is bleak at the moment(in terms of promotion). 

But you are welcome. I can’t see any positives after today. The most depressing thing is seeing Gregor McGregor saying Periera had a good game and knowing he gets paid for that opinion. ?

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am probably being harsh and several pints in but I am just so bored of our home performances. Also injuries have been horrible but who coming back is going to solve put attacking problems? Answer is Afobe at best after March international break. The outlook for this season is bleak at the moment(in terms of promotion). 

But you are welcome. I can’t see any positives after today. The most depressing thing is seeing Gregor McGregor saying Periera had a good game and knowing he gets paid for that opinion. ?

This....

https://anfieldindex.com/32950/its-the-hope-that-kills-you.html

To be fair it is the elephant in the room everybody knows it that is killing us. We need 2 decent strikers in. Afobe looked the answer but bad luck with injuries once again. I honestly haven't got a clue who we would be looking at prices in Jan become inflated. It will be very interesting to see what happens if we are still kicking about in or near the playoffs as to who we might get in.

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Another?  When was the last one?

We need some perspective, we are 7th, same points as 4th (4 GD worse), lost once in 16, twice all season, with a guts full of injuries.  We are only just about getting our best players back too, Kalas missing today, which for a lot of clubs would be a huge loss.

We are in the mix.  Would love us to win 4/5 on the trot and cement top 6 with a bit of breathing space, but it ain’t easy.  Along with the top 2, we are the only other team unbeaten in our last 5.  Most teams are inconsistent.

2 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

We will flirt with the playoffs this season and sell lots of season tickets for next season. Massengo will be sold for a healthy profit and Uncle Steve will make a few quid. Nothing changes 

Performances at home not up to scratch . Pretty sure Sir Steve doesn’t need the money , I believe he’s written of a fair few quid of our debts 

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Performances at home not up to scratch . Pretty sure Sir Steve doesn’t need the money , I believe he’s written of a fair few quid of our debts 

He has but its just business. Old habits... If he were a fan and a dreamer like us fans he might tilt at windmills a bit more. I know it's a fine line but I just wish we had a little more ambition because I think we're close this season. The league is wide open 

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Another?  When was the last one?

We need some perspective, we are 7th, same points as 4th (4 GD worse), lost once in 16, twice all season, with a guts full of injuries.  We are only just about getting our best players back too, Kalas missing today, which for a lot of clubs would be a huge loss.

We are in the mix.  Would love us to win 4/5 on the trot and cement top 6 with a bit of breathing space, but it ain’t easy.  Along with the top 2, we are the only other team unbeaten in our last 5.  Most teams are inconsistent.

I don’t think there needs to be perspective. We are a top 10 wage budget. We are a top 10 attendance side. We are a top 10 away side. Yet we continuously struggle to look like a competent championship side at home. LJ has spent near 60m on incoming players which numerically outweigh the outgoing players and yet we look worse off in attack then we did that first full season with Tammy. 

I have been overly positive the last few seasons but despite results(we have grinded out some good ones) we continue to look inept going forward. Even when we score they are often a grind and through a set piece. I spend 2-3k on city every year and while I have no illusions that mean I am entitled to a fantastic side, I am utterly bored showing up to watch us at AG. It feels the same every week. Grind for 45 min and go in level and make changes 10 min in and take our chances in the last half hour. We are never on the front foot. Never pressing a side from the off at home.

imo our results are masking our deficiencies. Us grinding out a point or 3 is giving people false hope. This isn’t a side that is going to compete for top 6. Sure we can beat anyone and I won’y ever dispute that but we will always come up short in matches where others don’t. Anything can happen Wednesday against West Brom but I am quite sure even if we get 3 points we won’t follow it up with another at home to Huddersfield. A team that has constantly struggles with the “easy” bottom half team at home but we all sing their praises when we draw away at WBA

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think there needs to be perspective. We are a top 10 wage budget. We are a top 10 attendance side. We are a top 10 away side. Yet we continuously struggle to look like a competent championship side at home. LJ has spent near 60m on incoming players which numerically outweigh the outgoing players and yet we look worse off in attack then we did that first full season with Tammy. 

I have been overly positive the last few seasons but despite results(we have grinded out some good ones) we continue to look inept going forward. Even when we score they are often a grind and through a set piece. I spend 2-3k on city every year and while I have no illusions that mean I am entitled to a fantastic side, I am utterly bored showing up to watch us at AG. It feels the same every week. Grind for 45 min and go in level and make changes 10 min in and take our chances in the last half hour. We are never on the front foot. Never pressing a side from the off at home.

imo our results are masking our deficiencies. Us grinding out a point or 3 is giving people false hope. This isn’t a side that is going to compete for top 6. Sure we can beat anyone and I won’y ever dispute that but we will always come up short in matches where others don’t. Anything can happen Wednesday against West Brom but I am quite sure even if we get 3 points we won’t follow it up with another at home to Huddersfield. A team that has constantly struggles with the “easy” bottom half team at home but we all sing their praises when we draw away at WBA

This...... In a nutshell. Fabulous post. Thank you 

3 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

He has but its just business. Old habits... If he were a fan and a dreamer like us fans he might tilt at windmills a bit more. I know it's a fine line but I just wish we had a little more ambition because I think we're close this season. The league is wide open 

Many clubs in it at the moment . Maybe we will go mad in January!! 

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

They did see it, so they got Afobe! 

An inspired loan signing that worked out superbly until his injury. But we failed to sign the striker we have needed in the first place yet again. Presumably we do not want to pay the inflated prices for a proven striker. And have not been for a couple of seasons. And I am not sure we will do in January. A great shame when other parts of the team are working well.

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It’s a fair argument Joe.

4D52DBDB-04E4-4553-88AE-27C8789DB677.thumb.jpeg.baf68a1f61727514de957fafd08f2322.jpeg

City 13th home / 5th away.

Preston best home / 12 away

West Brom best away / 7th home

As someone who only goes to home games (the odd away game per season), if we look at the other teams on 29 points:

Swansea 14th home / 3rd away

Forest 12th home / 4th away

Fulham 4th home / 7th away

Swansea and Forest aren’t dissimilar.

If today and Swansea had both finished 2-2, instead of 0-0, would you feel differently?  Preston are the real standout with 25 goals, only 6 away though.  Fulham and West Brom unexpectedly the next best (and QPR but they conceded more).

33 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

...and we are a top 10 positioned team. Surely that is the perspective.

18 minutes ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

...and we are a top 10 positioned team. Surely that is the perspective.

I don’t feel our performances reflect our position. Imo it will catch up to us. Don’t get me wrong I am thrilled with the progress the team has made these last 5 years but at the same time feels like performances have gone backwards. It is like we have tried to recreate away games at home the past 18 months.

Never feels like we build on a good side. Finish high sell a couple and start over to an extent. I said to a mate earlier I would rather we had a go a teams and fell apart like a few seasons ago(cup run season) then finish 8th the way we are playing. Think the atmosphere today reflected our play. How can the crowd continue to be up for every game when it doesn’t feel the team is? 

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

So we accept what? Mediocrity? Or do we gamble when we have a great chance in a poor league? 

What are you going on about, poor league? The club pulled out all the stops to bring in a striker this summer, and then Afobe was the Rabbit out of the hat, and then the injury. Not even near half way through the season and with January window to come it is very much on, unless of course if you are reading the league table upside down.

Archived