IGNORED

The last time we played well?

scrumpy88

• Admin
3 minutes ago, shelts said:

Spell checked and changed!!

Going back a post, I would hope that there is Afobe replacement lined up for January, if there isn’t, I assume that FFP is the reason, I can’t think why else we wouldn’t have moved early to find someone and hopefully have the deal set up already.

Swansea at home last season was the last time I left Ashton Gate and said “we played well”

However I think that LJ has looked at the squad/team and found a way of playing that produces results rather than pretty performances, especially with our lack of quality in the forward areas.

At present we are not going to beat anyone 3 or 4 nil, it’s a very pragmatic approach to get the maximum reward with the players we have.

To have lost only 2 games this season is remarkable in my opinion..

Hopefully in January we can add to the squad and be a bit more offensive.

4 hours ago, scrumpy88 said:

I honestly can’t think of the last time I’ve come away from a game thinking we’ve played well. Its all boring and predictable football. 

We must be an opposition managers dream as we are so easy to play against. 

Theres no fluency to our game just the same boring side to side football week after week 

We played well today against a good team.

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Going back a post, I would hope that there is Afobe replacement lined up for January, if there isn’t, I assume that FFP is the reason, I can’t think why else we wouldn’t have moved early to find someone and hopefully have the deal set up already.

I hope your right 

9 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Ive really not looked forward to attending home games for the last two seasons now. For me the football is lacking so much in entertainment. If anyone can put there finger on the reason, Id be interested to know, its way above my knowledge and understanding of football, but can assure you one thing, the excitement of the football on offer at the mo is struggling to even match some of the stuff we had to put up with in league one for decades.

Completely agree.

Attending home games is chore.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Yep. Some of the reactions I've seen today has actually made me cringe. Do people expect us to beat a top 6 team 4 nil or something?

No absolutely not. But shooting at the goal at least once in 90 minutes isn’t so unreasonable and even less so when they play most of the second half with ten men. 

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Completely agree.

Attending home games is chore.

Don't go then.

Personally I thought we played well today against a side that will almost certainly finish top 7. The way the game has gone these days with all coaches are tactically astute and fearful for their jobs most teams are set up initially not to lose. It is difficult in this league (or any in this day and age) to play free flowing attractive football. If you opt to play that style then yes more goals will be scored but more conceded so a mid table spot will be guaranteed. Personally I am more than happy watching what LJ is trying. It is clearly his blueprint / style to keep things tight for the first 50/60 minutes then go for the win in the last 30 (ala Jose in his first spell at Chelski) by throwing on Eliasson and Palmer. So far this season it has worked rather well with a number of late goals securing valuable points. (Luton and Barnsley away being exceptions.....Luton the whole team were poor and Barnsley LJ's subs were badly timed).

Do people on here honestly expect us to play like Man City in arguably the toughest league in Europe. Pragmatic patient football is the way forward whilst gradually improving the playing squad so that we become a match for anyone in the league. We aren't far away people...keep the faith.

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Don't go then.

Personally I thought we played well today against a side that will almost certainly finish top 7. The way the game has gone these days with all coaches are tactically astute and fearful for their jobs most teams are set up initially not to lose. It is difficult in this league (or any in this day and age) to play free flowing attractive football. If you opt to play that style then yes more goals will be scored but more conceded so a mid table spot will be guaranteed. Personally I am more than happy watching what LJ is trying. It is clearly his blueprint / style to keep things tight for the first 50/60 minutes then go for the win in the last 30 (ala Jose in his first spell at Chelski) by throwing on Eliasson and Palmer. So far this season it has worked rather well with a number of late goals securing valuable points. (Luton and Barnsley away being exceptions.....Luton the whole team were poor and Barnsley LJ's subs were badly timed).

Do people on here honestly expect us to play like Man City in arguably the toughest league in Europe. Pragmatic patient football is the way forward whilst gradually improving the playing squad so that we become a match for anyone in the league. We aren't far away people...keep the faith.

The football at home has been poor for 18 months or so now, with and without injuries.

For much of my city supporting life the social aspect kept me hooked, along with an off the pitch scene that was fun when I was younger.

Middle aged me now takes 3 kids down and the focus is solely on the pitch and after yesterday I’d reached the point where the thought of coming down next Saturday to watch city play like that again, absolutely seemed like a chore.

Of course I will go, I love City. My love for City is the only thing that keeps me interested in sterile, money driven, modern football. I would honestly start watching Keynsham or Bath if city didn’t exist.

It’s not City’s fault, this is just the football we have to play to ensure we finish somewhere in the top 12, whilst never having enough quality to go up.

4 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

No, I'm not taking the piss. I must have been watching a different game. I thought we dominated the ball, played defensively well and created chances.  The only thing we lacked was a finish. 

I think people need to be able to separate frustration and actually playing poorly.  If we'd had an out and put goalscorer, we could have scored 3 today.  

So, I'm not taking the piss, I'm just not having a complete and utter meltdown as we haven't won the game.  

I think the football on offer at home has been poor for ages.

You are a long standing, level headed poster who I have read, respected and laughed along with, since this board started. But I’m not having a meltdown, it’s just how I feel. 

I dont think we can do a lot about it, I think it’s how we have to play in order to keep our top 12 status.

I don’t know how we kick on.

17 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

No, I'm not taking the piss. I must have been watching a different game. I thought we dominated the ball, played defensively well and created chances.  The only thing we lacked was a finish. 

I think people need to be able to separate frustration and actually playing poorly.  If we'd had an out and put goalscorer, we could have scored 3 today.  

So, I'm not taking the piss, I'm just not having a complete and utter meltdown as we haven't won the game.  

How can you say if we had an out and out goalscorer we could of scored 3? It’s not as if we are creating bucket loads of chances for our current strikers to be missing. 

20 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean you particularly. Some reactions I've seen on here have been way OTT.  I agree, it's not the prettiest of football, and some of the tactics are baffling.  COD getting constant game time for example, I can't get my head around. 

We've lost 2 games all season and we've just drawn a match vs a fellow playoff contender.  I think everyone needs to just take a step back and realise what a loss Afobe is to our plans.  LJ knows the problem, but unfortunately we can't fix it until January.  We haven't got another player in this model.  That's the way LJ wants to play, and everyone was loving it.  We simply can't play like it at the moment.

That's how I see it mate. 

I think the plan is to get us to January in or around the playoffs. We then become an attractive option for higher quality players like Gayle.  By this time JD and the gang are back and we can play more expansive football.  I think you'll also then find Palmer in the side more playing those nice through balls that Fam can't really latch on. 

Thats my thoughts anyway. 

I know, the Afobe injury is has had so many ramifications. My mate who stands next to me has been saying for ages though this physical, athletic style that competes for the ball when without it and looks to just retain it when they have it, is just the archetypal top 12 championship style. It’s not pretty or attractive and we don’t have the quality to available to make a difference.

It doesn’t really matter though, I’ve seen us play worse, far worse, this is just boring. 

It does make you wonder about the premiership and the malaise of the middle.

28 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I know, the Afobe injury is has had so many ramifications. My mate who stands next to me has been saying for ages though this physical, athletic style that competes for the ball when without it and looks to just retain it when they have it, is just the archetypal top 12 championship style. It’s not pretty or attractive and we don’t have the quality to available to make a difference.

It doesn’t really matter though, I’ve seen us play worse, far worse, this is just boring. 

It does make you wonder about the premiership and the malaise of the middle.

Bristol City  are not a particularly aggressive team out of possession. That is an opinion I would base on its players intensity, pressing approach.

Looking to just retain it. The stats do not back that up. City in general have less possession than the opponents. Play a lot of long balls, through balls and are not keeping it. Possession is not a principle of City's play. 

13 hours ago, scrumpy88 said:

I honestly can’t think of the last time I’ve come away from a game thinking we’ve played well. Its all boring and predictable football. 

We must be an opposition managers dream as we are so easy to play against. 

Theres no fluency to our game just the same boring side to side football week after week 

At home I agree with you,  we're slow and predictable. Apart from the first half v reading and second half last season v Blackburn we've been terrible for a season and a half.  Team and fans.

we need the high press quick football from two seasons ago to bring the excitement and entertainment back

12 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Like people have said above, a game from the season before last (discounting away games)!!!

Ive really not looked forward to attending home games for the last two seasons now. For me the football is lacking so much in entertainment. If anyone can put there finger on the reason, Id be interested to know, its way above my knowledge and understanding of football, but can assure you one thing, the excitement of the football on offer at the mo is struggling to even match some of the stuff we had to put up with in league one for decades.

One answer only!

Tactics and a fear of losing. We play at home like a side that is afraid. It is so boring, devoid of creativity in attack and how any team at this level can fail to have one effort on target is unbelievable.

We have the stadium, we have a good owner who backs the club financially, we have an Academy that is producing quality, we have the best squad at this level for forty years.

So what are we lacking? It does not take me very long to find the answer.

Archived