IGNORED

The last time we played well?

scrumpy88

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

You say lady luck but the quality wasn't there either. We wasted chances and good attacking positions.

Wiemans  shot took a very slight deflection which took it onto the post.....surely that was unlucky? 

However I do agree that the quality up top is lacking - as everyone can see.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wiemans  shot took a very slight deflection which took it onto the post.....surely that was unlucky? 

That was definitely a cross from Weimann

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The one on his left foot just inside the box?

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

You say lady luck but the quality wasn't there either. We wasted chances and good attacking positions.

Weimann shanked a shot in the box, Rodri didn't connect with his overhead thing, Rowe fluffed a free back post header, Brownhill bad chip into the box x2, Eliasson ballooned a cross late on, Pereira too.

Those are just the ones I remember, there must be plenty of others!

We were lacking when attacking!

and depending on defending!

5 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Not saying it’s easy but it’s possible, you happy watching us at home, do you think it’s entertaining?

It’s the holy grail though isn’t it I.e. entertaining and winning football, and everyone at every club obviously wants that, but the realities are it’s difficult.

I would rather lose entertainment for success in the short term, as we need to tighten up the defence as IMO this is really where our problems have been so far this season, but with two clean sheets in a row, we are hopefully making progress with this.  

Next job is to improve up front, and start not only creating chances but converting them.

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The one from inside right was a cross, correct.

That was the shot he sliced wide, correct.

Yeah as I saw it, it sat up to be hit with a clear view of goal but on his weaker foot, he didn't catch it right. 

Ironically, I'd imagine our XG was slightly higher than usual, but I could be wrong...

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s the holy grail though isn’t it I.e. entertaining and winning football, and everyone at every club obviously wants that, but the realities are it’s difficult.

I would rather lose entertainment for success in the short term, as we need to tighten up the defence as IMO this is really where our problems have been so far this season, but with two clean sheets in a row, we are hopefully making progress with this.  

Next job is to improve up front, and start not only creating chances but converting them.

We’ve not got a problem scoring, we’ve been absolute shit to watch at home for 18 months, that’s totally down to lj and how he sets us up, all I’m asking for is too be entertained now and then 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Cheers buddy. Any idea what our typical xG is?

Depends whose model you use:

Experimental 361 reckon we should be 23rd!!!  They reckon we should’ve scored 4.5 goals less and conceded 5.1 goals more, a 9.6 goal swing!  I think it’s fair to say this model has lots huge swings, look at Stoke and Forest.  It’s useful for individual games in terms of when chances took place, which is how I use it.

9CB06A99-1BA5-40DC-8B01-1708008FA1BF.thumb.png.be01c2098b6a3c1d194e4c36457dfe0a.png

Wyscout:

sorry for size, click on it.  Much more even.

D9957897-71F3-4B22-8FBC-EC519E1C19F1.thumb.jpeg.34d0d1d1bc9e116a76041a577acaf9dd.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Depends whose model you use:

Experimental 361 reckon we should be 23rd!!!  They reckon we should’ve scored 4.5 goals less and conceded 5.1 goals more, a 9.6 goal swing!  I think it’s fair to say this model has lots huge swings, look at Stoke and Forest.  It’s useful for individual games in terms of when chances took place, which is how I use it.

9CB06A99-1BA5-40DC-8B01-1708008FA1BF.thumb.png.be01c2098b6a3c1d194e4c36457dfe0a.png

Wyscout:

sorry for size, click on it.  Much more even.

D9957897-71F3-4B22-8FBC-EC519E1C19F1.thumb.jpeg.34d0d1d1bc9e116a76041a577acaf9dd.jpeg

Okay, so this game just below our already pitiful XG average! 

I don't expect our next opponents to concede may chances so we'll need to be customarily clinical!

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Whoop there it is! It's all gone a bit stale hasn't it?

It’s not a Johnson out. But I feel like we are somewhat in that stage of Danny Wilson minus the attractive football.

We have a very tight group of players who slug through the games on sweat, and a bit of luck. I can’t recall the last game where we loosened the strings and played with real energy and effectiveness. Leading to the next point as per topic, I cannot recall the last game I walked away from where I thought, “we absolutely battered them, a different league almost”. 

We seem to lack real bite and intelligence on the field. I’m not sure if this is the way players are being coached at this club. Or, we are bringing in players with a certain personality.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you sure you mean the early 90s? In the first few seasons of that decade we had players such as Bob Taylor, Jacki, the vastly underrated Nicky Morgan, Martin Scott, Mark Gavin, Gary Shelton, David Rennie, Rob Newman, Joe Jordan, Andy Cole, Brian Tinnion, Mark Aizlewood etc, etc - I think all of them could control a ball and pass it five yards ...

No, apart from the late 70's that early 90's team was my favourite City side of all time. Mid to late 90's under Lennartson / Osman I remember too many piss poor performances and players that struggled with any technique at all including fans fave (not mine) Wayne Allison who really would have struggled to trap the proverbial bag of cement.

Getting carried away and cheesed off with all the negativity on here after a difficult home game.

38 minutes ago, Redpool said:

It’s not a Johnson out. But I feel like we are somewhat in that stage of Danny Wilson minus the attractive football.

We have a very tight group of players who slug through the games on sweat, and a bit of luck. I can’t recall the last game where we loosened the strings and played with real energy and effectiveness. Leading to the next point as per topic, I cannot recall the last game I walked away from where I thought, “we absolutely battered them, a different league almost”. 

We seem to lack real bite and intelligence on the field. I’m not sure if this is the way players are being coached at this club. Or, we are bringing in players with a certain personality.

Luton have had that experience this season! 

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

I went to live abroad in 2005, feeling utterly demoralised by Danny Wilson and his failure to get us promotion.

Same feeling now but will just stop going to games one day and never come back to Ashton Gate again. They can then screw the lid on.

Interesting couple of stats from the excellent SwansAnalytics on Twitter.

Offensive Summary: Leeds create the most big chances but also at the best rate (5.4 chances per big chance).  City are 2nd (5.6).  We also score at our big chance rate...25.

1FFBBDEB-4355-4672-9684-6ED18B245733.thumb.jpeg.0c543b32a0718f70b64e2bfbdcd64c1c.jpeg

Defensive Summary: we give up a lot of chances but not as many big chances as we should.  This is borne out of we give up a lot of long range chances, and get blocks in.

B9C111C3-6EB3-4BAA-A203-089F7034162A.thumb.jpeg.f56adf3ccaef6eac3f4e6506b7b54235.jpeg

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I went to live abroad in 2005, feeling utterly demoralised by Danny Wilson and his failure to get us promotion.

Same feeling now but will just stop going to games one day and never come back to Ashton Gate again. They can then screw the lid on.

That was a drastic response to the Danny Wilson era!

21 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree with the non aggression out of possession. First half was like watching a training session where Forest were allowed to have the ball and we were only interested in keeping our shape and playing on the counter. Almost like a perfect away set up but the problem was we were at home.

Are Forest that good or our players so limited that we had to play that way? Those tactics are ok if you grind out a 1-0 but if you don’t then people will inevitably moan. For us season ticket holders we can take it in the round but if your game of football was called off yesterday and you parted with thirty odd sheets to watch that are you coming back in a hurry?

Are Forest that good? Lee Johnson chose to play high tempos v Manchester Utd & Manchester City. Now with a squad costing more he chooses not to. There are individuals in the squad that are limited when out of possession. It was again a choice to buy them. 

8 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Bring back o driscoll I say an hoof ball to big Sam Baldock..... 

We must have ruined him, joining us when he did! ?

Until he joined us, he had a reputation as a footballing manager- at a variety of clubs and I believe his Doncaster with JET starring demolished us at AG one year.

He joins us and suddenly hoof to Baldock! Very much the wrong man but at the wrong time too- that said he had a tough remit in some ways, budget wise.

That was an interesting era, interesting is a good word- Coppell joined us and then retired within about a fortnight of the season starting- what an impact we had?

Archived