Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

scrumpy88

The last time we played well?

I honestly can’t think of the last time I’ve come away from a game thinking we’ve played well. Its all boring and predictable football. 

We must be an opposition managers dream as we are so easy to play against. 

Theres no fluency to our game just the same boring side to side football week after week 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

I honestly can’t think of the last time I’ve come away from a game thinking we’ve played well. Its all boring and predictable football. 

Theres no fluency to our game just the same boring side to side football week after week 

Welcome to championship top 6 football.

Look at all the team's and season's before  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Championship “Top 6” football where the Manager sets up at home like an away team because he is that terrified of Nottingham Forest? That is literally what we did for 45 minutes today. Not moaning about the result tbh but that first half was the first time this season I’ve seriously questioned what the Manager was doing. It’s not what I want to watch on a long term basis, I know that much.......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm pretty sure West Brom and Leeds fans will have more recent games to call upon!

28 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

We've lost just 2 league games this season. Only Leeds can better that.

Results over Performance every time.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Nigh on 50% drawn games are not results and will not get you promoted 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

West Brom home last season. 

That was 30 minutes of electric attacking play then 60 minutes of increasingly desperate defending. Not sure it counts!

Just now, mozo said:

That was 30 minutes of electric attacking play then 60 minutes of increasingly desperate defending. Not sure it counts!

It was nice to have it the opposite way round to most games though

37 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

For me, really well at Preston (draw, only thanks to shocking reffing)

Agree we played well at Preston. The draw was a poor result that didn't reflect the performance. 

I'd also flag Blackburn away last season.

But OP is fair in that we've not really string together a sequence of effective and good performances for nearly a year.

22 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I have to reluctantly agree with you IF the end justifies the means, however today I was bored stiff, and I think the vast majority of home fans were as well.

if that point gets us in the play offs then so be it, if it doesn’t then maybe LJ may need a rethink, if he’s still with us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Charlton performance wasn’t bad but we are bottom of Expected Goals for a reason, we don’t create enough chances

....I love my stats, but we are the 5th top scorers in the Champ!

• Like 2

Like people have said above, a game from the season before last (discounting away games)!!!

Ive really not looked forward to attending home games for the last two seasons now. For me the football is lacking so much in entertainment. If anyone can put there finger on the reason, Id be interested to know, its way above my knowledge and understanding of football, but can assure you one thing, the excitement of the football on offer at the mo is struggling to even match some of the stuff we had to put up with in league one for decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a tight league where most teams don’t outplay the other - that’s the nature of the championship. 

I’d much rather we played poor and made top 6 than play well and come 15th.

• Like 3

At the end of the day it’s points that matter. I like to be entertained, it takes two teams, and today both of em couldn’t manage it . Maybe the shackles will come off next year 

24 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Like people have said above, a game from the season before last (discounting away games)!!!

Ive really not looked forward to attending home games for the last two seasons now. For me the football is lacking so much in entertainment. If anyone can put there finger on the reason, Id be interested to know, its way above my knowledge and understanding of football, but can assure you one thing, the excitement of the football on offer at the mo is struggling to even match some of the stuff we had to put up with in league one for decades.

I really admire your honesty and stoicism because I've been a supporter for over 50 years and you've summed it up perfectly. Too many people on here have rose tinted glasses. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, shelts said:

At the end of the day it’s points that matter. I like to be entertained, it takes two teams, and today both of em couldn’t manage it . Maybe the shackles will come off next year 

Jam tomorrow.....  it seems to be a long time since there was a general consensus that the football on offer, especially at home, was enjoyable, if we were winning it might make it more bearable, but bore draws aren’t particularly useful or entertaining.

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....I love my stats, but we are the 5th top scorers in the Champ!

On the other hand, it could be argued that our conversion rate is or was unnaturally high and a leveling out will see us dropping more points, scoring less goals.

I hope not but it could happen!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the other hand, it could be argued that our conversion rate is or was unnaturally high and a levelling out will see us dropping more points, scoring less goals.

I hope not but it could happen!

Or our chance creation levels out - upward 😜

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Jam tomorrow.....  it seems to be a long time since there was a general consensus that the football on offer, especially at home, was enjoyable, if we were winning it might make it more bearable, but bore draws aren’t particularly useful or entertaining.

I think 🤔 LJ is making sure we are in a position to do something in the New Years.  It was a bore today . At home has  been uninspiring for a while now 

Edited by shelts
Spells

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

I think 🤔 LJ is making sure we are in a position to do something in the New Years.  It was a bore today . At home gas been uninspiring for a while now 

I have never seen the gas play at home (unless they were playing us) so I’m lost by your reference.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I have never seen the gas play at home (unless they were playing us) so I’m lost by your reference.

Spell checked and changed!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shelts said:

Spell checked and changed!!

Going back a post, I would hope that there is Afobe replacement lined up for January, if there isn’t, I assume that FFP is the reason, I can’t think why else we wouldn’t have moved early to find someone and hopefully have the deal set up already.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I don't think most peoples memories go back that far but in the back of my mind, it was a game when Afobe played.

You mispelt Atyeo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It’s a tight league where most teams don’t outplay the other - that’s the nature of the championship. 

I’d much rather we played poor and made top 6 than play well and come 15th.

How about playing poor and finishing 5th or playing exciting football and finishing 6th

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

How about playing poor and finishing 5th or playing exciting football and finishing 6th

Well obviously 6th - but clearly LJ doesn’t believe it’s possible right now. 

Swansea at home last season was the last time I left Ashton Gate and said “we played well”

However I think that LJ has looked at the squad/team and found a way of playing that produces results rather than pretty performances, especially with our lack of quality in the forward areas.

At present we are not going to beat anyone 3 or 4 nil, it’s a very pragmatic approach to get the maximum reward with the players we have.

To have lost only 2 games this season is remarkable in my opinion..

Hopefully in January we can add to the squad and be a bit more offensive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scrumpy88 said:

We played well today against a good team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pillred said:

Really!! at home?

We've lost just once at home. Drawn 3 against Boro, Swansea and Wigan, and beaten QPR, Charlton and Reading.

Unbeaten in our last 6 home games......with injuries and a suspension.

28 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

We played well today against a good team.

Two decent teams out there today. Most people would have predicted a draw before the game I reckon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Going back a post, I would hope that there is Afobe replacement lined up for January, if there isn’t, I assume that FFP is the reason, I can’t think why else we wouldn’t have moved early to find someone and hopefully have the deal set up already.

I hope your right 

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Two decent teams out there today. Most people would have predicted a draw before the game I reckon.

Yep. Some of the reactions I've seen today has actually made me cringe. Do people expect us to beat a top 6 team 4 nil or something?

• Like 2

Why all the whinging about being entertained? Can’t even begin to imagine what you’d all be like if we did make it to the PL, can’t even celebrate a goal properly in that League anymore.

Edited by BCFC11

9 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Completely agree.

Attending home games is chore.